ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Analog sticks new/recon/repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Analog sticks new/recon/repair Reply with quote Back to top

I am looking for a replacement analog stick that actually works or parts of high enough quality to recon an original stick. Does any one have any recommendations? I have tried several sellers and all I am getting is junk Sad

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you checked Steel sticks 64.

Zilog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is exactly what I am after Very Happy Though sadly they are out of stock and not taking pre orders at this time Crying or Very sad

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The wait is worth it, follow them on Twitter and wait until at least the steel bowl is available. It's what I got and the upgrade is perfect, feels really smooth and precise. I gave it months of use so far and it's as good as the first day.

Other replacements aren't really worth it. GC-Style sticks are too sensitive for shooters like GE and PD, and other OEM style are just wrongly calibrated or last a few days at best.

Meanwhile with your original sticks, while you wait to get a steelstick, you should open them, clean them and apply lithium grease. It'll protect them from use and also make them smoother.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

Zilog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers I will keep an eye open for them becoming available again

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I actually ended up using the project here to come up with a good solution for my N64 controller[1], and also write a different setting for a dual stick FPS setup (as the project can handle up to three different configurations) - if you'd like I can send you through the microcode project and PCB layout I've come up with. A printed enclosure will be the next step but I've not got that far yet.

There is also a modified board for the GC style sticks to give them proper input ranges [2], and I understand that's a REALLY good solution. Would be a bit cheaper too Smile

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKUaIEmed1o
[2] https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

Zilog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane that is impressive work thanks for the link.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know right! His project pretty much changed how my mates and myself play the N64. I've only got one working unit for the PS2 to N64 controller and it's a hot item at my place every time there's a games night lol.

I understand that it can't play Zelda or FZero, or one of the pokemon games - but that isn't really an issue in my opinion as you kind of need the original controller for those anyway.

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He HE He:

months ago a friend and i revived this project again
still cant figure out how to make em faster tho Embarassed
or how to best to sell them to other countries

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My version for the analog parts are very good, but
A better quality version of the pieces that we made are possible,
by using the latest technology.

and it is:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/el-man-s-n64-parts

this combined with the Steel sticks 64 seems to be the best option to repair the analog, but the fact is , the steel sticks are not nescesary, they can also be made of brass too like the ones i make.

but they are very costly and the shipping makes it worse for most of us

forum members, maybe we can help eLman bring the prices down, if you are from any other place than the united states send me a PM

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's beautiful.
Lots of people trying to sell some quality products recently.

At the moment I play with a lubed OEM stick with a titane bowl. Very glad with it.

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
It's beautiful.
Lots of people trying to sell some quality products recently.

At the moment I play with a lubed OEM stick with a titane bowl. Very glad with it.

I used the grease from 1999 to 2000 around February, mind you a the time i would play mario kart 64 for about 4 hours everyday with family, and the plastic pieces lasted for about 6 months instead of the 2 or 3 they normally would last, at the time the only solution was to buy a whole new replacement box , not just the gears, that is why in 2000 i made my first metal parts with silver, out of 25 pieces only 8 where good, and months after i made the first sticks for my 4 controllers.

I find the bowl thing puzzling, but i guess it works if you keep the plastic parts

i have seen that the truth is that the stick should not be touching the 'bowl' at all, if you take a close look at the picture my metal pieces are cut off at the bottom part that is 'supposed' to touch the bowl
(blast, not in this picture)

the stick only touches the bowl when the lower portion of the stick's sphere, and the top layer of the LR arch gets so worn out, that the tip of the stick starts to touch the bowl, other wise if those 2 things never wear out , the bottom of the bowl is untouched.

the one thing that is a big concern when it comes to the white base, is the holes where the arches rest, if the holes get bigger, up and down, the teeth of the gears will not do a propper job, and the control will uncalibrate itself if you do sudden spins of make the joystick move in circles real fast.
or are one of those people who pull on the stick instead of push down

the gears that eLman sells are good , but he does not sell them polished,
they have to be polished at those points to avoid making those holes bigger. Those spin points are hard to polish, and if you do it wrong they will work a bit irregular.
fortunately, there is no need to buy a new plastic white base, or grey top, since a refill job is easier and more permanent in those 2 parts if they ever get worn badly.

the grease should help with every type of solution

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
I know right! His project pretty much changed how my mates and myself play the N64. I've only got one working unit for the PS2 to N64 controller and it's a hot item at my place every time there's a games night lol.

I understand that it can't play Zelda or FZero, or one of the pokemon games - but that isn't really an issue in my opinion as you kind of need the original controller for those anyway.

potentiometers always feel a bit off, but i remember years ago that they would sell these things that you put in between the bottom of the stick and the controller that would give players a bit more physical resistance and help the potentiometer based controllers feel a bit more accurate. A cousing hada mad catz N64 controller, and it had potentiometers instead of optics, and it would be too sensitive for some games, what he did was open the controller again and made the spring longer by pulling it, this made the resistance of the spring greater and that c0ntroller felt better afterward, so that physical resistance might help.

unfortunately, nintendo sticks are made of plastic, unike the 360's and plastation's, that have some metallic components and lasta little longer, the potentiometer ones for the Gamecube and the wii wear out fast too,
my next thing will be to make metal parts for those if its possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: