ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Help] Moon, Sky Data, Switching Levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: [Help] Moon, Sky Data, Switching Levels Reply with quote Back to top

Couple of questions:

=====Moon===============
So PD has a "moon" which is essentially "Room001" but is it set anywhere within the game setup? And if so could someone highlight the field where it's set Smile

=====Sky Data=============
Simple question: Some levels have different arrays for setting up the sky data than others. I'd love to know what drives this and how I can change/edit it.

=====Switching Levels========
I still don't get this. I've tried to follow through everything that's been said and it always results in the game locking up when trying to load the switched level. This might be more of a Wreck question I suppose, but when adding new levels to PD I'm really struggling to sort out level order and correctly set things up here, so truly do need a "dummies" guide (I'll never claim to be smart! Only tenacious!) :/

Thanks everyone!!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: [Help] Moon, Sky Data, Switching Levels Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
=====Moon===============
So PD has a "moon" which is essentially "Room001" but is it set anywhere within the game setup? And if so could someone highlight the field where it's set Smile

It's labeled in the 39850 Game Configuration as "Draw on Top Rooms," so it's pretty unclear. You can change the stage ID as well as the room it uses. The bottom row (room 001) is for the moon in dataDyne HQ and something in an unused stage, the middle row (room 00F) is for Area 51's skybox, and the top (room 002) is for the skybox in Skedar Ruins. Oh, and don't forget room 071, which is Attack Ship's planet.

Note: Stage 22 is listed twice in my screenshot because I changed it from Defection (30) to quick-test it without the hardcode.

MRKane wrote:
=====Sky Data=============
Simple question: Some levels have different arrays for setting up the sky data than others. I'd love to know what drives this and how I can change/edit it.

It's really simple, but my brain's not letting me explain it simply...
In the 39850 Game Configuration menu, under the Stage Options tab, there's a corner for the Level Skies. Those skies assign themselves to the stages, in a sense. Let's say I want to make Pelagic II use the not-small sky. I go to 0D - Pelagic II in the Stage Options, then click the "Goto Sky Block Small" button. In the Level Sky corner, I change the Stage it's pointing to into something I'm not using. Uhhh, I'll pick 000000A3. Now, in that same corner, I browse the Slot Large combobox for something to re-assign. Slot 31, which is currently set to Stage 00000046, seems fine I guess. I'll change the sky colour of it so I can recognize it works, then I change its Stage to 00000021, which is Pelagic II. Finally, after lots of mucking about in Perfect Agent difficulty because I'm stubborn, I can see my changed sky.

MRKane wrote:
=====Switching Levels========
I still don't get this. I've tried to follow through everything that's been said and it always results in the game locking up when trying to load the switched level. This might be more of a Wreck question I suppose, but when adding new levels to PD I'm really struggling to sort out level order and correctly set things up here, so truly do need a "dummies" guide (I'll never claim to be smart! Only tenacious!) :/

I think I know what's up here. Does your level have text? I was able to swop a level slot with another slot easily because that doesn't touch the IDs. However, when moving a level into an unused ID, I could only get the level to load by removing the text from the briefing and intro. I don't quite know how one is supposed to point to text in a slot that isn't used, other than manually editing the setup binary. Prolly not worth it unless you know what you're doing, since you can't choose music for the unused slots or set the alarm sound?

So...I guess put your custom level into a mission that doesn't have many hardcodes (Villa?), then switch a level slot to that one. Are you at least able to, say, swop Investigation with Villa? You only need to change two things to do that, it seemed.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just a quick reply (I'm at home and will have to get time during work to test things out) but thanks for the through reply! I think I get everything you're talking about!

Thinking about the different level skies - perhaps I'd be smarter to simply set level 01 at night Wink

I've still not tracked down that crash issue, but will try with a different level geometry set and see if I can narrow it down there.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo did a great job explaining things.

The special background effect (moon, planet, horizon, etc) can be edited under Stage Options. You could either change the level ID that matches the one your mission uses to an unused ID, or you can eventually add a moon of your own.

There are two sky box types. I believe the smaller one is better equipped for fogging, but it has been so long since I had to set them up for GE-X, that I am not completely sure. You would need to look at the options each show in Editor, set your level to use the type that best fits. PD only used a handful of small, and some were GE leftovers. They preferred to use less fog, thus allowing the player to see farther across maps.

Yes, the text ID in use is dependent on level ID. So if you originally set your mission to use Defection's text bank, but then attempted to use a different level ID (such as Investigation), there is a high probability that the mission select menu will crash when it tries to load the text from an unloaded file. This is the first thing I need to update for every mission added to the Vault Compilation Pack, so text won't crash the folders or mission.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right! Not having the text information would explain why my prior efforts to make levels using the "unused" level components were resulting in crashes! Pertaining to the moon etc. I've concluded to work within the framework of what's already there and just set the level at night because it makes life significantly easier, and I'm hell bent on simply milling things out instead of becoming bogged down and frustrated.

First import: tint it blue and call it "night time"!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: