ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Adding Objects vs Modelling Geometry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Adding Objects vs Modelling Geometry Reply with quote Back to top

Gidday everyone,

I've searched for an answer on this, but couldn't find anything after a brief look. Simply put my question is:
    Performance wise, how much of a difference does it make between adding objects to a room, or modelling the geometry into the room?

Logistically I'd expect that adding objects would result in a performance boost as the PD engine should be doing some frustum culling, but modelling objects into the geometry means that I can do some nice lighting and colouring on them - so essentially that's the line I'm thinking of investigating, but if it's already known it'll save me some time Smile

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand much on performance, but I can speak for functionality. I would say the main point in adding an object instead of baking it into the background is for interactivity (mostly destruction, but PD also has object pushing). Because of this interactivity, I would think objects have more to process than the non-interactive background. On second thought, the objects appear to be well optimized. I know I've seen pushable objects not impact performance until they were being pushed against another object.

In the end, it's likely case-by-case. Might be best to try both and see which works better.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd think in some cases background set pieces may be better. Say you have a few wooden crates stacked together, creating some cover for the player. As objects, each crate would require six sides (twelve polygons), plus any decals. As background, you can draw only what you need, and cut the number of polygons down. Now, this means they can't be destroyed or moved around, so you really have to consider the purpose for each thing as you are placing it into your level. As BG, you can also add more accurate shadows for the location. It can be a battle of aesthetics versus functionality.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers! I might try to balance out polys used in some cunning way. I'm currently modelling a confederate fort so it's mostly heavy hewn logs and barbed "blocking" walls, but it quickly adds up once you include sundry things like hammocks etc.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Read the thread about adding the village from Zelda. I recall something about buildings and objects inside... I can't articulate my thoughts here. Something along the lines of the overhead of the engine keeping track of the pots and stuff even when they weren't visible and doors were closed.

(Psst! Loofa is a dog's stuffed chrw toy full of fluff.. take everything it says with a grain of salt.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: