ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye Vault - Passing the Torch...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: GoldenEye Vault - Passing the Torch... Reply with quote Back to top

Reposted from Vault:
(GoldenEye Vault is now closed)

I hate to say it, but I am just plain overwhelmed by the amount of games and site updates, and with a lot less time and energy, and wanting to focus my energy and time on other venues (such as mobile development and other passions forming), as well as Nintendo's current state towards ROMs, I've decided on my own to remove all games except GoldenEye and Perfect Dark from the current archived view. Once someone else steps forward, it will probably be cleared. It's a lot of reasons, not any one reason, but I also just don't have the stamina anymore, and am a victim of my own success, with the tons of new content coming. Hopefully someone else will take up the torch. If there is enough interest, I am considering, at an unspecified date, either open sourcing the editor or just giving to qualified people to continue to develop, if they come forward, and I am hoping someone is willing to host a repository for all the new levels coming. I am also going to set up a github for my N64 Tools, and take them off here (except for Obj2An8), so that they are separate, and people can edit them on their own. It's been a fun ride; you'll still see me around the forums posting and staying involved, and some minor editor bug fixes, but I am struggling keeping up with GoldenEye Vault, the spam, comments, levels, keeping site secure, and site needing a massive overhaul, etc.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for your time and commitment for up keeping everything GE/PD related. I remember emailing you back in 2005 about face textures (can't believe it's been that long).

Thanks again for the memories.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I first noticed that I couldn't post a comment on the Vault, which was odd. I thought maybe the feature was temporarily disabled. Then I went to the main news page, and was really surprised. I mean, I know full well that something like this would eventually happen. Considering how many years you've dedicated of yourself to GE, PD and other N64 games / tools. But I was still quite shocked by, what felt like, the suddenness of it.

I had wanted to create and maintain a Facebook page for the Vault before, as another way to keep people connected and updated. It is still something I would like to do.

Maybe we can talk over e-mails or chat soon. The Vault is a fantastic place for fans and modders of GE and PD alike. And with the advancements we have been seeing over the past few years in both creativity and quality, we should expect to see more great mods coming out.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for giving us the best modding tool ever and create a place where we could discover, learn, improve, share, enjoy and eventually master this awesome hobby.

You have no idea how much it helped me to be focused in GE/PD modding in the past years. Even if I have no time to get involved anymore my head is continuosly thinking about the unfinished projects and new things to experiment with. Thanks to you I was able to do something that I loved and became part of my life. You have my infinite gratitude.

As you said, the vault has become so big and attractive and the editor so capable and varied that one man can't manage it all. How much time was it? Way more than a decade. That shows how great you are.

The only thing I regret is to never ask you to be in the '00 Agents'. Not sure if that can be arranged even if it isn't to last long, hehe.

Good luck with your new projects! Very Happy

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After 20+ years of work you're probably entitled to a break.
...Maybe ;*)

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RIP in peperony Goldeneye Vault: 2007????-2018

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Godspede Subby Wubby

Perhaps Wreck could take over the vault, and assign some staff members. It's nice to have a dedicated website for GE64 hacks and yours is already somewhat well known.

Regardless, good luck in whatever you do next!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really know what to say... Just, thanks a million for doing all you have done, especially putting up with my endless stream of editor requests. And of course, good luck with your future endeavors!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks everyone for the kind words and knowing how many people were influenced for the positive. I am deeply overwhelmed by that as well! I've met and had many exchanges and collaborations with a lot of good and skilled and nice people across the globe, and many, many fond memories, and it's been a really rewarding (but terribly exhausting, especially the last couple years) experience over the years, and I've learned immensely many technical skills during the journey. I look forward to seeing how GoldenEye Vault: The Next Generation fares from more of the sidelines so that I can enjoy it more and get to relax and play all these great creations this time around; I know everything is in good hands. I'm semi-retired, but I'll still pop in to help here and there, and maybe surprise you down the line with something...and continue to follow the N64 scene here and on twitter and youtube, etc.

Huzi
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for everything SubDrag!

Corfix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for keeping the GoldenEye modding community alive for so many years

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Still in disbelief. Understandable though. I wish you all the best he best. Knowing you are still around takes some of the sting out. I hope you will get get to e joy a few of my future mods. The single player stuff. Heck, looking forward to some SubDrag stuff in the distant future when the itch comes.

I visited the website a few times in the past few years and never thought I could grasp it. Now I finally am understanding a few things and learning blender is another nice benefit. It Also was something I wanted to be able to do. So you provided the mechanism for me to try and achieve both. Thanks for that.

Also I met so.e really "cool" and talented people. You have touched many lives while I am sure through a game that has taken many... In the game world.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for everything that you have done, SubDrag!

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been there. I've done that, and I might be the only one that's going to say this - but making a call for yourself will be something you'll be grateful for in the long run - and things have this funny habit of working themselves out when people are passionate about the outcome, and in this case they are.

It's been a hell of a ride over the last decade, I've watched so many of us become industry professionals, and I often like to boast to my friends about the integrity of our community - most of all you've been in the guts of it the entire time Sub.

After all this time, I'm happy to say that there's a roof and a couch for you way down south of New Zealand if you ever happen by this way.

P.S. I suppose it's a bad time to suggest there's a problem with the obj to path converter in the editor Wink

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, sometimes you just need to walk away and do what's right for you. I can't believe you maintained the Vault by yourself for as long as you did. I'm sure someone else will pick it up. And I would love to see the editor go open source.

As for catching up on a decade of games...I've been playing MachineGames' first Wolfenstein game and it almost feels like a spiritual successor to GoldenEye when you take a stealth approach or dual wield assault rifles. Heh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: