ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Particle Effects, Animating Textures, Snow Colour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Particle Effects, Animating Textures, Snow Colour Reply with quote Back to top

Gidday all,

So I'm still working on my Western themed mod for Perfect Dark (working title: Johanna got a gun), and I'd really like to have fire burning, smoke out of chimneys, ash raining down out of the sky because you better believe the James Younger gang is involved in the story and they set fire to a whole township.

First question:
Can Perfect Dark to particle effects that could simulate a burning fire pit? That'd be the easy way, although I'd expect it'll murder the framerate.

Second question:
Can we set a texture to animate, or pan? I've long been a mobile developer, and the super-cheap way to do smoke/fire is by having a static surface that has a panning texture over it that fades out towards the top.

Third question:
Can we control the snow colour? One mission I'm sketching up has Jo running through Lawrence while it burns down thanks to Jessie James and William Quantrill (because nobody has really touched on this), and while I think red fog and background sound should do most of the work atmospherically it'd be cool to have black ash falling from the sky instead of snow.

I guess that's it for now, and I still haven't got a basic mission setup working without that pesky crash!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD has certain special effects that can be used for different purposes. Things like smoke and sparks to simulate damaged electronics. You could at least have smoke from something that WAS on fire, such as a firepit. But as for actual fire, I am not sure. There are explosions you may be able to repurpose one, though that would need testing. Duration may not be long enough, if you want it burning constantly. I know GF64 had animated monitor images for fireplaces, which may still work okay for firepits, so long as you also include the smoke effect.

I'm personally unsure how the snow is handled. If it is a texture, you could probably alter it. If not, than it would be a colouration value hidden inside the ROM.

Another idea I had before, which may suit your mod, is to change the Area 51 nerve gas to be a sandstorm. Altering the green colour to a more tan tone might be enough. Depends on how it is setup.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Object type 38 is Effect, but all I know for absolute sure is that 2 is the water mist from the Chicago sewer drain. From a quick look at Crash Site, I'm very sure effect 0 is random yellow/blue sparks and 4 is what you're looking for: small, but consistent smoke billowing from pad.

Try adding object type 38 Effect and setting its property to 00000004, see if you like that.

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! Thanks very much guys - I'll give it a crack!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: