ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Need help troubleshooting my attempt at importing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Progress update:

The porting of BanjoTooie's Clinker's Cavern (GoldenEye's Complex) is progressing nicely. I had some trouble with clipping that I could not figure out. I even tried redoing the floor geometry. On the final attempt I avoided Stans convert and stuck with the redo clipping. I spend hour or less a few days a week on these so the going is real slow.

Much like Ordinance Storage, texture clamping and readjusting their UV's is time consuming. The splitting of the level into rooms is actually enjoyable. Everything else, not so much. Especially frustrating is tracking down all the secondary textures which isn't always so obvious. At a later date if I learn how to blend them properly to mimic somewhat how it looks in BanjoTooie I will do so.

I had to keep adjutsing the scale down so Jaws wouldn't have his head inside the tunnels. .60 seems right.

I did the portals this time in Blender to see how well I could do it outside GSE. Worked without a hitch I think.

I need to do another walk through, and then I can add weapons.

When both are finished I want to put them in the same patch, plus I am thinking of having two versions of both maps. One with added extras (doors and props) and one bare bones with just the weapon and ammo boxes. Plus I will keep Stacks and Complex in the map menu for comparisons.

Here are some screenshots:

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looking really nice. Avoid Stan Convert. I tried to delete it but some still swear by it so I had to reinstate it. You just want to import clipping from obj completely.

There's a highlight bad clipping menu option that can occasionally help by showing sometimes bad tris as purple.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use Bad Clipping. Very convenient. Speaking of convenient, hot keys to switch between clipping/room/object/portal (using some of Function keys maybe?) would be nice. I have gotten cozy with Blender's hotkeys. 😁.

Among other things I am working on here is something I was messing with last week:

View from bottom of the cavern looking up at the Command Center.

Two views from inside the CC.

It's nice to have a vision for something and be able to create it.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think I did already add hot keys to switch modes. Maybe it's shift 1 to shift 6? It should show in preferences key mapping. It's something like that.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was working on Clinker's Cavern again but this had me stumped for awhile delaying things. I am thinking now it's the emulator and not clipping problems. If someone has the ability to check it on actual hardware I would appreciate immensely. Just PM if you can. I can't get CEN64 to work for me.

So this is what was happening:

In one particular tunnel if I look forward everything is fine. If I turn to the the left, the triangles on the floor in the next room beyond the portal disappear. The more I turn to the left, the more that disappear.

Full own forward view

Here is where the tri's start to disappear.

I reclipped both rooms, checked the tri's, rebuilt the floor, and it still happens with the 1964 emu. I tried it with Mupen and it was fine. If it works fine on real hardware I feel I can safely ignore this.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

loofadawg wrote:
I reclipped both rooms, checked the tri's, rebuilt the floor, and it still happens with the 1964 emu. I tried it with Mupen and it was fine. If it works fine on real hardware I feel I can safely ignore this.

That isn't a fault with 1964, but with Jabo. Use SoftGraphic plugin\angrylion\CEN64 to review your work. Do not trust HLE plugins like Jabo

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The same sort of thing can occur even in normal GE maps via emulation. I know Stack is definitely one place where it happens. You are most likely fine, but it is always good to have things checked out on console before finalizing and releasing.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is good to know.

On the plus side, while troubleshooting I used the "Remove Doubles" to see if that might help. Blender deleted a dozen faces off the room. I hit undo, and went over the whole room merging vertices. I went from around 700 to under 193. That is quite a reduction.

I have a room check list for both BanjoTooie maps that I am using as I go back merge vertices in the other rooms. This is going take a while.

It appears the doors used in the GoldenEye's Caverns will make a nice match in BanjoTooie's Clinker's Cavern. The plan is put doors connecting areas which were hidden by the vents and faux walls.

Looking forward to seeing Shogun's BanjoTooie port.

Edit:
Hmm.. I exported the Map from GSE back into an OBJ and that room is back up to 682 vertices. Maybe I am wasting my time doing this?

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

https://youtu.be/mT6lE8vzwew
Here's a little preview

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am thinking of remixing one or more of the GE MP maps and give them a BanjoTooie feel in the same vein as Rare did. Redo the geometry, change the flow a little, change the textures so that the maps still resemble their former selves but will have BT vibe.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds interesting. I did a similar remix to some GE maps for Perfect Dark Plus. Stack and Caves have been released, while one more is waiting to be finished up. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: