ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

CD-Quality GoldenEye 007 Music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi thanks for posting these. I've noticed some instruments sound lower quality compared to others and this inconsistency makes it annoying to listen to (example). Do you have any plans to fix these issues?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All tracks and instruments are recorded with the same quality.
The same reverb is used throughout, but Facility turns it up higher (both in-game and here).
The dynamics only sound different because the samples aren’t compressed (higher fidelity on higher frequencies), they are not going through the Nintendo 64 DAC (which seems to add some bass), and a higher-quality reverb is used.

If I knew the exact parameters of the Nintendo 64 reverb, I could re-record the entire set. Otherwise there is nothing to do.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
Hi thanks for posting these. I've noticed some instruments sound lower quality compared to others and this inconsistency makes it annoying to listen to (example). Do you have any plans to fix these issues?

Question L. Spiro. Which instrument samples sound better/clearer quality wise, the Goldeneye (U) version or the (PAL) version? Also is there a difference in the samples between the american and japanese versions of the game?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is only one set of uncompressed samples, and I am fairly sure only one compression routine, meaning only one set of compressed samples. If there are any differences in the sound it would have to do with the Nintendo 64 hardware, but as far as I know only video is different between PAL and NTCS.

So as far as I know the set of samples is the same regardless of the region or version of the game and should sound the same on all cartridges.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the uncompressed samples you have were formatted to work on the n64 hardware and compressed would the quality sound as good as it did when the samples were uncompressed or would the uncompressed (now compressed) samples sound exactly like how they do in the game as they normally do when you play the game?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you take these samples and run them through the compression tool (decreased Hz to 22,500 and apply ADPCM compression) you should get exactly the samples you can find in the ROM, which are the same samples as in the public SoundFont.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would they be more clearer ie, no distortion noises, buggy sound etc.?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As I said, I expect the end result will likely be exactly the same files as are in the ROM.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, cool thanks. That's all i wanted to know. Ciao. Smile

sfGBCG
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's really nice to hear the music in a higher sample rate.

I wonder if it's possible to make a patch of CD-Quality music for GE007? That being said, it reminds me of a patch for Perfect Dark that plays mp3-quality voice clips from the XBox 360 version. I think it'll be cool if GE got the similar treatment.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This topic is being carried over into this new one: http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7592

All new recordings presented there are better than these.
They resolve at least the following problems the old ones had:
#1: Popping samples. There are no more pops on sample loop points.
#2: Proper balancing. The volume curves have been corrected so that there are no longer certain tracks that are too quiet.
#3: Reliable MIDI looping. I had to handle the MIDI loop points manually before, and while I think I got them all correct I can never be sure. MIDI loop points are now handled via automation and there is no longer a possibility of an error there.

Aside from actual errors that have been fixed, the overall quality has been improved greatly just due to my new recording methods (directly to USB instead of over an optical cable to software that may be off-clock just slightly or apply dithering to the waveform) and experience (choosing the best reverb and other settings for a more full clear sound).

A link to the uncompressed download of the new set is in the new topic.

L. Spiro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: