ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

How to put higher-difficulty missions in lower difficulties?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GamerXYZ
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: How to put higher-difficulty missions in lower difficulties? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

I'm a complete newb with Goldeneye Setup Editor, but I wish to make an edit to all Campaign levels, namely adding 00 Agent missions into Agent and Secret Agent, as well as Secret Agent missions into Agent. I know you can just do the missions anyway, but for multiple reasons it's better to have this be official, and 007 mode also isn't exactly the answer.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could please post the full steps on how to make these edits on a rom (all the way from the beginning, even the Quick-Start guide confuses me since it immediately moves on to things I'm not interested in editing). Or if someone has a patch or cheat that changes the missions, then that would of course be prefered.

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do not understand what you're asking, could you rephrase that?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like you want all the objectives found on 00 Agent mode to also be set for both Agent and Secret Agent difficulties? Well, this can sometimes be a case by case basis.

Firstly, you would need to open the mission setup file, and go into the Edit Objectives menu. Once there, you can choose the objective number (1-5) and set which difficulty it is used for. If you change them all to Agent, than it will be a required objective for every difficulty setting (Agent, Secret, 00, and 007). Save the updated setup, and inject it into your ROM in the Game Configurations menu under Stage Options.

You also need to edit the Briefing files, so that the objectives will all show in the folder menus. It should be a similar process, but under Edit Briefing. Set all objectives to be on Agent, save file, and inject into your custom ROM.

However, some objectives are also affected by objects and action blocks. Such as Facility, where you can just open the bottling room door on Agent, but need the decoder on Secret and up. It would require testing to see what all needs adjusting. Silo has different timers for the explosion (Agent has none at start). Some levels will be very easy, while others need further investigating.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

GamerXYZ
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I mean. Fortunately, doesn't look like I'd mind the problems: silo not having a timer until the first plastique is used I simply consider suitable for being an easier difficulty, and things like the bottling room door being openable doesn't really matter if the decoder is still necessary to complete the mission succesfully (Dr. Doak still gives it to you despite being on Agent, right?). And that some things will be really easy doesn't matter also: it's Agent after all, and still harder than not having the objective at all.

So, with that taking into account, would there still be a problem somewhere, or would all objectives be able to be completed?

Also, let's see if I do things correctly: in Tools > Preferences under Quick Convert (F5) ROM I have set the Goldeneye rom. In Tools > Briefing Editor I simply go to all .bin files and change all objectives to 0000 Agent. In order to get to the mission editing I go to Tools > Game Configuration, then Stage Options, select a stage such as 00 - Bunker 1 for first Bunker mission, then go to Edit Setup > Edit Objectives, and here I then select an objective and set it to Agent and do this for all objectives, then close the new screens and return to the step where I had to select a stage. Then in order to save all my changes I go to File > Save as a Project, then File > Inject Project into ROM. Is this all correct?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My apologies for the slow response. Here is what I would do...

First, go to Tools, and select Preferences. From there, choose your Quick Convert ROM. It should probably be a regular copy of GoldenEye to begin with. Once set, click the OK button on the bottom left.

Next, go to Tools, and choose Briefing Editor. These are listed in alphabetical order, so Archives appears first. Select the Objective # box to choose which objective you want to change the difficulty of, then set the Difficulty box to 0000 Agent. Once you have updated all the objectives for a mission, click the Export Uncompressed File button. Save it as whatever you like, wherever you want on your hard drive. Do this to every mission (not all will need it).

Next, we edit the setup file. Go to File, and choose Open Setup Uncompressed. Pick whichever level you want (Usetup_Z files). Once open, go to Edit Setup, and pick Edit Objectives. At the upper left, you will see the Objective # box. A few spaces below it, will be which difficulty it is for. Go through them and set each to Agent. When done, close the Edit Objectives window and click File, Save Setup Uncompressed. Again, save into whatever folder you want. Do this with every mission that needs it. (I know Statue, Cradle, Aztec and Egypt should not need updating, as they always share the same set of objectives for each difficulty.)

Now that all your mission related files are saved, go to Tools, and select Game Configuration. After a few moments, a new window will open. Under Stage Options, you can select which level to edit from the upper left. Choose one, and all its specific files will appear underneath. Simply click that little square you see to the right of the file name (such as UsetuparkZ for Facility), and it will automatically select that file from the main file library (at the bottom of this menu). See how it now shows that file to the lower left? Just click the Inject File and Upd Tables button, and find your edited file on your hard drive to replace it with. Once you have replaced all the files, go to Write ROM with 21990 Mods. It will ask you to save your new ROM. Give it a new name, as to not overwrite the original. If an error comes up about space, you can click the Delete Extra Debug Data and / or Delete Debug Data (and J Text) button to free up some room. Try to save again.

Now... Test! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: