ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Anyone know anything about Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Anyone know anything about Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, please? Reply with quote Back to top

Several N64 gamers from Gamefaqs.com and N64 Forever (http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/index/) including myself are trying to find out if it's possible to kill all of the enemies in a certain level (the level 'Up Ship Creek') in the game Duke Nukem: Zero Hour. Up until now, 62 out of 64 kills is the best anyone has managed (as far as we know), since no one can find two of the enemies.

Anyway, then we found the video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkNX2ibHNxc

which shows 63 out of the 64 enemies being killed, according to the screen at the end of the level, which summarizes the player's performance in the level. So Chris Rogers (who made that video) had apparently found one of the two missing enemies, but since he apparently isn't a member of Gamefaqs or N64 Forever, he didn't post about it on either of these two forums.

And we have now managed to locate the one enemy that that video doesn't show, and kill it ourselves, which means that we can now kill 64 out of 64 enemies, right? Wrong, sadly and confusingly.

See, for some reason, even though the game, at the end of that video, says that 63 out of 64 enemies have been killed, at least two of us (Italia64, and myself) have played through the level ourselves, trying to match exactly what Chris did, but no matter what we do, we can only get 61 kills when copying what Chris did. I've been through the video, and written down when he kills something, and this is the result:

Number - Type of Enemy killed - Time in the video when the kill took place

1.Flying Drone 1:22
2.Flying Drone 1:51
3.Enemy Sniper 2:52
4.Enemy 3:15
5.Enemy 3:17
6.Turret 3:28
7.Turret 3:40
8.Enemy 3:48
9.Enemy 3:58
10.Enemy 4:01

11.Enemy 4:13
12.Enemy 4:16
13.Enemy Sniper 4:29
14.Enemy Sniper 4:48
15.Flying (low) Drone 5:02
16.Ceiling Turret 5:13
17.Flying (low) Drone 5:18
18.Flying Drone 5:32
19.Flying (low) Drone 5:47
20.Enemy Sniper 6:20

21.Enemy Sniper 6:27
22.Enemy Sniper 6:42
23.Flying Drone6:45
24.Enemy 7:13
25.Flying Drone 7:25
26.Turret 7:52
27.Turret 8:10
28.Flying Drone 8:24
29.Flying (low) Drone 9:46
30.Flying Drone 10:27

31.Flying Drone 10:52
32.Cyborg 11:45
33.Cyborg 12:48
34.Enemy 13:24
35.Cyborg 13:52
36.Flying Drone 15:14
37.Flying Drone 15:20
38.Flying Drone 15:53
39.Flying (low) Drone 15:42
40.Flying Drone 15:44

41.Flying (low) Drone 16:42
42.Enemy Sniper 16:59
43.Ceiling Turret 15:13
44.Flying Drone 17:29
45.Cyborg 19:03
46.Ceiling Turret (behind Cyborg) 19:21
47.Cyborg 19:39
48.Alien Egg 19:56
49.Alien Egg 19:56
50.Alien Egg 19:56

51.Alien Egg 20:06
52.Alien Egg 20:12
53.Alien Egg 20:20
54.Enemy Sniper 21:00
55.Cyborg 21:26
56.Cyborg 21:44
57.Cyborg 22:39
58.Flying Turret 23:24
59.Flying Turret 23:40
60.Cyborg 24:31

61.Cyborg26:03

('Enemy' just means an enemy that's alive, usually a lizard thing).

So matter what I do, I can only get 61/64 kills (or 62, if I kill the one that Chris missed), but the game counts him as killing 63 when I can only see 61 kills in that video.

Can anyone shed any light on what's going on? Please help if you can, I can't see where I've missed two kills in that video, so maybe fresh eyes might see what I've missed.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Files in original Duke Nukem were identical in format to PC ones, just segmented into a couple parts with some additional fields. For the prototype analysis wrote a small thing to squish them back together so they could be viewed with eduke.

I'll look into getting it working with the sequel so you can see exactly where all the stuff is. He might have killed something behind a wall or something too.

Last edited by zoinkity on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Files in original Duke Nukem were identical in format to PC ones, just segmented into a couple parts. For the prototype analysis wrote a small thing to squish them back together so they could be viewed with eduke.

I'll look into getting it working with the sequel so you can see exactly where all the stuff is. He might have killed something behind a wall or something too.

Oh yeah, splash damage could have killed off two enemies over the course of the level, especially if the damage went through opaque (to our eyes) walls/ceiling/floors due to a bug, and killed off enemies who weren't visible at the time. Plus perhaps the two enemies are trapped in the wall or elsewhere where they not only can't be seen but they also cannot move or shoot, and so unless you get lucky with your explosives' splash damage, then you won't even know that the enemy are there.

It hadn't occurred to me that this might be the case!

And it would be interesting if you were to look into the rom, but I know that you have lots else to do (*cough* Simcity 64 English translation *cough* [/subtlety), so I'll be patient. Plus Italia64 or myself might find the missing enemies, especially now we know to look through the video for possible explosive splash damage. If I do find anything, then of course I'll post about it here.

Thanks for the idea, it's a great thought.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Up Ship Creek hastily converted to a map that can be loaded in the freeware mapster32, part of eduke32.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/anarurck68nbsqn/usc.zip

Ignore the plentiful map errors. You should be able to browse about in mapster and see where all the sprites are located. F1 brings up help with all the controls. I'm not familiar with the layout (never played the game) but I'm sure if you know where stuff is located you'll be able to tell which sprites are what.
!Keep in mind this doesn't have any of the DNZH resource, etc, and is effectively unusable outside the map editor! Any sprite type listings are based on original Duke Nukem 3D may (almost assuredly) be inaccurate.

Turns out only differences in the map format from DN64 are an extra 4 bytes in the walls and another word in the N64-specific vertex tables. Those tables are used for clipping/pathing and maybe some additional atmospheric effects, though haven't really looked at how they're generated.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Up Ship Creek hastily converted to a map that can be loaded in the freeware mapster32, part of eduke32.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/anarurck68nbsqn/usc.zip

Ignore the plentiful map errors. You should be able to browse about in mapster and see where all the sprites are located. F1 brings up help with all the controls. I'm not familiar with the layout (never played the game) but I'm sure if you know where stuff is located you'll be able to tell which sprites are what.
!Keep in mind this doesn't have any of the DNZH resource, etc, and is effectively unusable outside the map editor! Any sprite type listings are based on original Duke Nukem 3D may (almost assuredly) be inaccurate.

Turns out only differences in the map format from DN64 are an extra 4 bytes in the walls and another word in the N64-specific vertex tables. Those tables are used for clipping/pathing and maybe some additional atmospheric effects, though haven't really looked at how they're generated.

That's brilliant! This should make it possible to find the two extra enemies, once I manage to decode what represents what, which shouldn't be hard since I know the level so well (the level as it appears in Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, I mean). If I crack it, I'll post the results here.

Thanks mate, that's a lot more than I was hoping for.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Update: TheSpudWhacker, on the N64 Forever forum, has kept on working away at this mystery, and has managed to achieve the coverted 64/64 kills, but, as he says:

"It has been far too long since I posted on this forum. I have gotten all 64 enemies, however without consistency. I have no idea what triggers these enemies to spawn or how to kill them, but here is my theory on what is happening. But here are a few things to take note of first.

1. All enemies in the game have triggers before they will spawn
2. Certain events must happen for enemies to spawn
3. Sometimes enemies don't spawn in the playable area
4. Enemies teleport on a different cycle then duke does

With those 4 points, I can access some of what is going on. This is going to be a long one but here goes.

So, in the dry town level there is an enemy that opens a painting that you can kill. This enemy does NOT always spawn, play the level 50 times and I guarantee he will be absent at least once even though you did everything right.

On the first posh level, there is a zombie that explodes open a wall. Play this mission 50 times and again I guarantee it won't do it every time even if you take the same steps.

So what is happening on up ship creek? Well, during one of my runs (I always use debug menu when play) a sub blew up near a teleporter and my kills jumped up by two. Then I noticed that there was a snoozing enemy after about 20 minutes of running around the map. Not sure how long it was snoozing but it was snoozing when I moved to that debug screen. I went through the teleporters many many times and out of nowhere the sub spawned in the room where the two cyborgs attack you. I have been in this room many many times and explored each room like 3 times...

So what even happened? Well, this is where I lose my knowledge. The thing is, I don't know, I simply don't. It resulted in 64 kills though, it just doesn't make sense though. I played this mission over 600 times since I last commented on this forum and have only got 64 kills one time. There is flags in place for making sure ALL subs in the same room that one spawned in to be dead. If the ones that originated in that room are all dead, then the sniper alien will spawn around the corner. There is a flag that you have to get the level 3 key for the drone in the first hall to spawn.

Enemies in this game will just appear if the player would have no way of seeing them spawn.

My theory is this; the last two enemies spawn out of the map and will not spawn if duke can see them. The only problem is; the game thinks duke can always see them. That is the best I got. I have loaded this map in mapster32. apparently there is a closer to zero hour sprite fix but I haven't tried it yet.

If that theory isn't correct then this is my ONLY other theory so far; they spawn in the beginning of the next level but the game thinks they belong in this one. If you go to the end of up ship creek and angle your camera you can see the colt 45 ammo in the corner outside the cave in the last area (the room where if you step off the teleporter, you win the level) That ammo is spawned from the next level, there is also an enemy spawned there. So somehow the game thinks that enemy shouldn't be there or the devs preloaded that room and forgot to remove the enemy from that spot.

The problem is, the trigger to make him spawn in the move off the teleporter, but if you do... you win, so my conclusion there is that the enemy spawns where he can't be killed in time to stop you from winning. Unless somebody knows how to stop the game from letting you finish the level this theory can't be proven false or true. If it is true though, then that is why the sub kills an extra enemy from time to time. It is half loaded into that area and kills it. Again, no proof but I still haven't left this mystery to rest.
"

So, can anyone help or suggest anything to try or possibly help to elucidate the mystery, please? It's a fascinating problem, and since it involves an N64 exclusive game (and a very good one at that!), a solution would be all the more welcome.

And *lots* of credit to TheSpudWhacker for his immense patience and determination to solve the problem. Replaying the level over six hundred times, and each time trying to make note of any changes and relevant happenings? That is true dedication, by any standards.

Source: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nintendo_64_forever/duke-nukem-0h-can-you-help-here-please-t2528-s60.html#p178323

HippyTesla
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, isn't it funny that I get up this morning all obsessed for the Xth time to get the 100% in Zero Hour, just to find this post from yesterday afternoon Very Happy

I think there's some logic to what TheSpudWhacker says, but after 7 years of dealing with this periodically, I was never able to find the exact location of the 2 enemies in Up Ship Creek, nor the 1 in Wetworld.

I swear I heard a torpedo submarine near the end of the level at one point when I already had 50 kills in Wetworld, but I've never seen it, let alone killed it. This is what made me believe that these missing enemies spawn outside of the map, or stuck in the walls or columns.

It's almost 20 years since the game came out and still, no complete walkthroughs for Zero Hour exist. Why not assemble a few people and detail everything the community knows? It's surely 99% of the game.

RickNi
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

HippyTesla wrote:
Well, isn't it funny that I found great pellet smokers here and get up this morning all obsessed for the Xth time to get the 100% in Zero Hour, just to find this post from yesterday afternoon Very Happy

I think there's some logic to what TheSpudWhacker says, but after 7 years of dealing with this periodically, I was never able to find the exact location of the 2 enemies in Up Ship Creek, nor the 1 in Wetworld.

I swear I heard a torpedo submarine near the end of the level at one point when I already had 50 kills in Wetworld, but I've never seen it, let alone killed it. This is what made me believe that these missing enemies spawn outside of the map, or stuck in the walls or columns.

It's almost 20 years since the game came out and still, no complete walkthroughs for Zero Hour exist. Why not assemble a few people and detail everything the community knows? It's surely 99% of the game.

That's the joy of Zero Hour. Every once in a while you hear a rumor of something you've never heard before and before you know it, you're on 5th run-through that week. haha

Last edited by RickNi on Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Continuing the discussion of the missing enemies in the 'Up Ship Creek' level of the (fantastic) Duke Nukem: Zero Hour game:

In the original thread about this mystery, at:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nintendo_64_forever/duke-nukem-0h-can-you-help-here-please-t2528-s75.html

a user called 'xFRANKx_ITA' has demonstrated a very intriguing and plausible theory about what's going on. He says:

https://youtu.be/GX4IoWajQBc 8:03

"In this videos you can see him [the player] doing the glitch that im going to explain.

to explain it in the simplest way possible, to get the extra kill you have to shoot the drone at the same time as it impacts on you.
as you can see in the video, following the timestamps, spudwhacker shoots the drone while colliding and gets an extra kill.
and apparently this glitch works with the short shotgun, the uzis and the peacemakers.

My theory is that the drone dies twice.
once when it is hit by bullets, and the second time when it crashes and dies on duke.
"

This is very interesting, and when I get home from work (I'm working away now) I'll definitely be trying this. xFRANKx_ITA might well have finally solved this mystery, and even if not, then it's maybe a very good signpost to the real solution. If anyone has any thoughts or comments, or wants to investigate this themselves (on a real N64, or an emulator) then please post your thoughts and results here. And thanks to xFRANKx_ITA for joining the investigation, and for sharing his results and ideas.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried this over Christmas, and it's brilliant being able to *finally* get 64/64, after all these years. Very well done, xFRANKx_ITA, you've managed to solve one of the N64's biggest mysteries.

Thanks for finally laying this mystery to rest (and proving that the few people who claimed to have gotten 64/64 in the past weren't lying!).

And happy new year to everyone! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: