ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye with AI Upscaled Textures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredspider
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye with AI Upscaled Textures Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone! I've been experimenting recently with softwares that uses neural networks (AI) to upscale and enhance low resolution images. There are many projects on the internet using those software to make HD versions of classic games like Doom, Metroid, Max Payne and many others.

I decided to give it a try on Goldeneye. The textures were dumped, upscaled by 2x using Gigapixel AI and re-imported into the game. The dumping was made using Glide64 Final version running on Project64.

Note: Only some textures were selected to be upscaled to compare the results.

Results:

Folder - before

Folder - HD

Textures upscaled: Background, folder, paper clip and Dam photo

Note: "OHMSS" and "CLASSIFIED" texts were upscaled but with no visible results

Dam - before

Dam - HD

Textures upscaled: Rock montain and yellow stripes

Dam gate - Before

Dam gate - HD

Textures upscaled: The gate, Rock montain and yellow stripes

Dam guard - before

Dam guard - HD

Textures upscaled: Guard's face (front and sideways) and suit

Dam corridor - before

Dam corridor - HD

Textures upscaled: Concrete walls, blue lights, rock walls and yellow stripes

Facility vents - before

Facility vents - HD

Textures upscaled: Metal parts

Facility bathroom - before

Facility bathroom - HD

Textures upscaled: Floor tiles, ceiling, walls (concrete and tiles) and bathroom door

Facility Sign - Before

Facility sign - HD

Textures upscaled: The sign, walls (concrete and tiles) and main bath door

Facility guard - before

Facility guard - HD

Textures upscaled: Guard's, hat, suit and bathroom walls

Note: The AI made the scratches on the wall more visible

Facility bathroom - before

Facility bathroom - HD

Textures upscaled: Floor tiles, ceiling, walls (concrete and tiles) and bathroom doors

Note: The AI made the bathroom doors a lot more "dirty" than before

Bonus: Surface Trees - Before

Bonus: Surface Trees - HD

A little crop on the top part, but the trees seems to be less blurred

fredspider
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Conclusions: Some results are realy cool, like the menu folders, Dam rocks and concrete walls. The textures still need some polishing because you can see some color pixels (blue and purple) on the snow rock in some edges.

On facility the vents seems to be more realistic. The ceiling and the floor looks very good. The concrete wall above the white tiles doesn't seem to be infinite anymore because the edges are now visible. The bathroom white wall and blue doors were not so good, because they seem a lot more ugly than before.

Gigapixel AI is a software that is already pre-trained with hundreds of tons of images, so the program doesn't have many options besides choosing the scale size, noise and blur levels. The texture enhancing is a very quick process of just drag-and-drop, enhance and save.

Next: I will try enhancing the same textures on ESRGAN

What do you guys think about the result?

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Meh. Original is better. I like my games to look how I remembered them. Not how they would look in this crappy generation.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The one you used seems to excel in photo-type images, considering how good Dam's icon and the tree stumps appear to be. It also appears to do well when lighting is involved, such as with the Dam's corridor.

I never looked into this stuff before, but it is certainly pretty fascinating to see in action. I wonder how Aztec's walls would turn out...

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
The one you used seems to excel in photo-type images, considering how good Dam's icon and the tree stumps appear to be. It also appears to do well when lighting is involved, such as with the Dam's corridor.

I never looked into this stuff before, but it is certainly pretty fascinating to see in action. I wonder how Aztec's walls would turn out...

True. Those texture designs that are hard to make out would look much better on this. I may not be crazy about HD textures but they can come in handy for textures like Lazlo mentioned. Also for those textures that don't look well aligned. Don't take what I said wrong. The textures look great and you can definitely see the differences in the comparisons. I just like that old school arcade like look to old games.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I keep wondering if an AI could be used as a post-processing effect to boost the graphics on old games at runtime. Perhaps things aren't powerful enough for that yet, but give it time!

mcbrainlegend
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

looking good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: