ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Recent spam bots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Recent spam bots Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I am somewhat concerned about the recent influx of spam bots. For the past 2 days over 248 spam bots have registered. I think a good solution is to add additional security questions in the registration forum, something non-standard that most automation will fail with.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just got 736 Private messages from obvious bots. The filled my Inbox.
I'm guessing it happened to more people. Unluckily I don't think I can do anything as General. As far as I know I can only close, move and delete topics.

%$&$&$!!!!!! I was deleting the PMs page after page and I click on "Delete all" without noticing. Now I have lost all the PMs I was keeping. Is there a way to recover them?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think so :/ And now the total spam bots is up to 493. Something needs to be done asap, even temporarily disabling registration

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm on this. Sorry guys. I disabled PM for now. I changed registration captcha and that cause this flood I believe. Very sorry to everyone about this. Craziest thing I've seen over the time of running forums. I will resolve this. Thank you.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so far I've disabled the PM system and changed back the captcha. I will sort out who has registered in the past number of days and clean that up. When I feel it's clear, I'll enable PM again.

FWIW, I had my spam in gmail. Most of you know gmail better than me, but if you don't know it overly well for this type of situation, here is what I did. Quick notes here sorry!

-I did NOT report this as spam. Not sure how that's going to downgrade the reputation of the site. That said, no offense if you feel the need to report it.
-click on the box from one of the spam PM messages, then click the 3 dots settings above and do a filter. It will nail them all just as is with default, but I refined mine a bit.
-click the top box, highlight all, delete/garbage can icon. Sorry to say I could only get 50 to show and delete at one time. So...this means a few more minutes of your time to kill a number of 50's.

Annoying? Yes. Bizarre? Most certainly...

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Whelp, I will continue my efforts. I will have to leave PM disabled for now. Thanks.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When you turn the PM's back on, will our saved PM's come back, or will the PM system start from scratch?

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello bmw. I've turned the light back on and...the spam PMs are gone, the rest remain intact. Seems like removing the users also cleaned out their PM spam. I'm still remaining on top of this situation. I'm closely monitoring my email notifications and registrations to the forum.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All looks good at my login. Thanks for taking care of this.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're welcome. It was absolutely crazy what happened. I shat myself when I went to my email and saw page after page of private message notifications. What I learned? Leave things alone. When it's working, leave it. Any tweak can have crazy consequences as it turns out. I hope no more issues, but I'm checking on a regular basis over the next while to make sure everything has settled down. Thanks.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spam bots are still joining http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/memberlist.php?mode=joined&order=ASC&start=1100
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2597

I think the captcha photos have been cracked. Have you considered using google's captcha instead?

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have the idea to triple captcha security, I don't know, maybe

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: