ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Moving + Extending MP / Character Tables...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded the file, and will try to look at it tonight. I hope you are still in the testing phase, as we are continuing to sort out all the details to prevent possible errors from occurring with deleted debug data and overwritten code. The original extensions were intended for a 7MB expansion pak patch by Zoinkity, and used for the Goldfinger 64 mod. Once we start mixing in stuff from the Footsteps patch, it gets a bit more complicated. So just be sure, as you probably are, to keep plenty of backups during your tests.

I also removed the link from your post. I know The Spy Who Loved Me isn't as secretive as Goldfinger, but some stuff might be better sent privately via PM or e-mail. Prying eyes, and all that. Wink

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I found the crashing issues in TSWLM levels. It all has to do with character models. One must have been replaced with something else, one character seems broken in-game, and a few others were trying to use heads as bodies. Here is a break down...

Body 11 (CarmourguardZ) is used in Frigate, Depot, Train and Control by most guards. This model had been replaced with something, and when the game went to render it on screen, it would crash. Simply replacing this model with the original, and updating the Model Details for it, will correct it.

Body 08 (CtrevelyanZ) is Stromberg. While he appears fine in the Editor's Visual windows, he is breaking the game. When I manually replaced his character ID (08) with something else (01), the levels he appeared in loaded. This includes Train, Control, Caverns and Cradle.

Streets appears to be another test level of sorts. While it does have body 08 (the broken Stromberg), it was also assigning heads as bodies for three characters. It used 33, 2B and 2E for bodies, when they are actually head models. These four characters were crashing the level. You can see in Visual Window that there are three heads sitting on the floor, hehe.

And there you have it. Just some character model stuff, which should be easy to fix. I don't have as much experience with custom bodies, so somebody else might have to look into the Stromberg problem. Hopefully is just a quick edit.

I'd make sure you move the characters and head hat list to use the updated RAM addresses. They are +200 of what the Editor has listed by default. This way it won't conflict with things being used in the Footsteps patch.

gc_artuso87
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
So I found the crashing issues in TSWLM levels. It all has to do with character models. One must have been replaced with something else, one character seems broken in-game, and a few others were trying to use heads as bodies. Here is a break down...

Body 11 (CarmourguardZ) is used in Frigate, Depot, Train and Control by most guards. This model had been replaced with something, and when the game went to render it on screen, it would crash. Simply replacing this model with the original, and updating the Model Details for it, will correct it.

Body 08 (CtrevelyanZ) is Stromberg. While he appears fine in the Editor's Visual windows, he is breaking the game. When I manually replaced his character ID (0Cool with something else (01), the levels he appeared in loaded. This includes Train, Control, Caverns and Cradle.

Streets appears to be another test level of sorts. While it does have body 08 (the broken Stromberg), it was also assigning heads as bodies for three characters. It used 33, 2B and 2E for bodies, when they are actually head models. These four characters were crashing the level. You can see in Visual Window that there are three heads sitting on the floor, hehe.

And there you have it. Just some character model stuff, which should be easy to fix. I don't have as much experience with custom bodies, so somebody else might have to look into the Stromberg problem. Hopefully is just a quick edit.

I'd make sure you move the characters and head hat list to use the updated RAM addresses. They are +200 of what the Editor has listed by default. This way it won't conflict with things being used in the Footsteps patch.

Vikingkingjobe (the creator), has fixed the character models like what you just did. Also the patch I've linked you is only just beta to test out the custom character slots.

Is there a way to convert a head model slot into a guard slot? Like Max Kalba's full guard model is using CheadmishkinZ. I see in the Archives level it appears as a miniature.

I've also tried testing to add a character model from the custom slot via a level's visual editor and it seems to not appear as well. I'm aware they will be listed like this for example; "50 Custom"

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should be able to set the data for head or body under the Model Details section. Choose the character out of the list, and see the "Guard Archetype" selection box? If it is a body or body + head full combo, choose "8003D400 Character" in the list. If it is only a head, then choose "00000000". There is also a box you can check labeled "Contains/Is Head". Check it for heads or body + head. Not totally sure if the name matters, but if so, you could select the file in Stage Options, change the name, and click "Rename Current File" button above it. Hopefully it renames all incarnations of that name. If it does not, there could be crashing.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Spectacular find Reply with quote Back to top

This is a landmark find. Lots of possibilities! Very Happy

gc_artuso87
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Before I created the custom character slots officially yesterday for the TSWLM mod, I've notice that there's no need to use the Delete Debug Data (and J text) when having Carni's footsteps patch as all unnecessary files and data have already been deleted to occupy more room. Also the editor does not like long names for custom slots, so ensure you give it a short name. For example, the character Underwater Forces I named the slot CundwafoZ.

There can also be times as you add more custom slots further along with certain number of letters/numbers for a C__Z file, it can still pop an error that the text file name is too big, even though you gave it a very short name. I'm not sure if this is an editor bug, but I hope this can be fixed.

While creating slots, make sure you don't go over "02D6 ob/ob_end.seg" limit or otherwise you will get an error when saving your ROM. (newer versions can support up to 02DF ob/ob_end.seg as the final file)

For anyone attempting to create custom character slots, ensure your GoldenEye ROM is patched with Carni's footstep as it's highly recommended.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I did my own character extension (a different method, not supported by Editor at this time), I renamed all C_Z files by which ID they used. Such as CspicebondZ as C4FZ. The only one you must not rename is the watch arm (29). If you do, it will crash when attempting to pause. Must be something hardcoded. Anyway, it shortened the list of names dramatically, allowing space for more names to be added.

Yeah, there is a max number of files you can use, at least right now. The table, I think, contains entries of 0xC each. The file ID, RAM address of the file name, and ROM location of the file. It likely isn't possible to shorten this table (maybe by 0x4, but it would throw off alignment) so it would need to be moved into high RAM (by writing at end of ROM area), just like other things have been. For now, you can delete whatever files you don't need, but be cautious.

gc_artuso87
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to add a custom "L<name>E.lng" into the ROM? Especially if you want to do 100 multiplayer characters with their own individual names. I am aware that there are short or long limitations to the number of text slots that can be stored for each L__E file. For example, the LtitleE.lng file can hold up to 013B. If you go beyond that, the whole game will not load.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you can add new text files, as they are loaded in at specific times (when level loading, at menus, always, etc). You would be better off replacing everything you can first, in files that are loaded in menus. LtitleE, LmpmenuE, LmpweaponsE, LmiscE, and so on. There are a handful of unused lines. Cheats, multi level place holder names, come to mind. You might be able to add some more lines to these other files, too, as some are relatively small. Worth a shot.

Edit: Took a quick look. LmiscE should have around 20 lines you could repurpose. Depends on if the game is going to use any of the leftover cheats, as you would require some entries, if so. LmpweaponsE is short, and may be able to have more added. Also, LpropobjE has some leftover beta ammo types. So long as that file is loaded in the MP menus, that would help.

gc_artuso87
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tip Wreck. When the LtitleE reaches slot 013B, I've used the LmiscE for new character names as well for the 103 MP characters hack and success the game will still load. I've been experimenting this on the TSWLM mod and managed to have all 103 different names in total. Who knows we might consider this at the very final stage of this mod Smile

Now imagine adding all Bond costume types as a MP character, that would be fun. Plus we're using the original GoldenEye heads only for head replacements to keep it simple.

gc_artuso87
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding to creating custom character slots, have you encountered any crashes when you do it at a second attempt?

I've done it successfully in the first attempt but as I wanted to add more custom slots (up to 7D the maximum) in the second round, it crashes and exits the editor as I hit the Edit button via Model Editor on a custom guard slot. Do you know what causes it to exit unexpectedly?

EDIT: I've also noticed that the models from CcommguardZ to CspicebondZ as well as all the heads have disappeared too.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had run into issues trying to do it a second time, myself. It is a complicated process adding the models at the end of the ROM. It may be possible to do it with a bit of manual work. I can try looking at the ROM I was sent to help out with the mission / part numbers to see what can be done.

Oh, not sure if you are aware, but we are able to push the max game files from 02D6 to 02DF. There was enough room for the extras, so it should be supported by newer Editor versions.

gc_artuso87
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I had run into issues trying to do it a second time, myself. It is a complicated process adding the models at the end of the ROM. It may be possible to do it with a bit of manual work. I can try looking at the ROM I was sent to help out with the mission / part numbers to see what can be done.

Oh, not sure if you are aware, but we are able to push the max game files from 02D6 to 02DF. There was enough room for the extras, so it should be supported by newer Editor versions.

Oh OK, yeah I was doing this on a test ROM for the upcoming TLD mod. In the first attempt, I've added 35 custom character slots and that was successful. Also I've notice TLD has more civilians, compared to the TSWLM mod.

Here's an .xdelta patch sample you can try it on and also can you write down the steps on what you did to fix it manually, so I can do that on a revised version?

-link removed-

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been trying this through the Editor, but am running into issues.

First, I made a text file copy of all the C_Z character names (by extracting the list at the end of ROM in a Hex Editor, saving as a .txt file, then getting rid of the extra spaces). I added two new temporary names to the end. CaZ and CbZ.

Then, I added two new body files (djbond) under those names at the end of the C_Z section of models.

Going the the Model Details section, I put in the location of the guard names file on my PC. I update the address of 80700000 to 80700200, and put the new count at 73.

After I click the Move Guard Data button and save ROM, it looks OK at first glance. Now models 71 CaZ and 72 CbZ exist. However, data must be getting overwritten, and far more address pointers are being put in, and to bad spots. Only the first three models look as though they might be fine, but everything after that is bad. Two different sets of C_Z file names are being written, with the earlier one having duplicates. I'm not sure what is happening with it, but it is very broken at this time.

Manual is possible, though it can be a pain, as the Editor keeps everything grouped together tightly, with no wiggle room. You'd need to shift at least one full table, and then update the locations of the table within ROM. It might be better if SubDrag looks it over to see what is happening.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you can send the exact files and exact place you moved and count. And what base rom. This definitely worked for gf64 but I moved things to 807 and it manually copies it from end of ram. It may be only thing supported. It's been a while.

As Wreck said it may depend on extending objects too.. I can't remember there was an order to it. It was a very complicated precise gf64 mode I just kept exposed. I'll look it you send me exact details and recreation steps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: