ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE Tournament Edition...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kronflux
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how much better this would be with the 8mb ram patch...
probably perfect?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure if the Expansion Pak patch would really do much to help. It can increase how much memory is utilized for textures and background models, but I don't know how it can impact performance. Carnivorous may have more knowledge on the subject, as he has built upon the original Expansion Pak patch by Zoinkity.

I have come up with an idea for an update, but I am still going through testing to make sure it will work. I've done the hard part, and am now moving onto the tedious stuff. However, I am going to require some assistance from someone to put it into practice. My idea is definitely possible, but unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to write what I need into the ROM.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kronflux wrote:
probably perfect?

Have you tried applying zoinkity's patch?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The newest version is up! I was able to get eleven of the unused level IDs working properly, and imported mirrored versions of each of the multiplayer maps in their slots. With the extra help from Carnivorous, who crafted a cheat option that would switch the ID's back and forth when necessary, the "Mirror Multi Maps" cheat was finished. It is something absolutely nobody asked for, but I thought it would be a fun extra.

http://n64vault.com/ge-multi-levels:goldeneye-007-tournament-edition

I'll be sharing my info on how to get these normally crashing / hanging levels functioning soon. I've put most of the data together in a Notepad file, with only a bit left to detail.

kronflux
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
kronflux wrote:
probably perfect?

Have you tried applying zoinkity's patch?

I just tried - it does not seem to like it at all. crashes any emulator I throw it at.
So I assume it'd have to be patched manually or something - something about Tournament Edition changes the rom enough that it doesn't play nice

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kronflux wrote:
I just tried - it does not seem to like it at all. crashes any emulator I throw it at.
So I assume it'd have to be patched manually or something - something about Tournament Edition changes the rom enough that it doesn't play nice

It patches successfully and works on console/emulator.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bigger question is... does it have any noticeable effect? If it does, I'd consider releasing another version. Right now, the current build shouldn't require an Expansion Pak, which makes it more accessible for console owners who don't have the extra memory.

kronflux
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
kronflux wrote:

It patches successfully and works on console/emulator.

hmmm my patch must have somehow corrupted or something.

My guess would be that it would have an effect when explosions or other lag inducing effects are happening, though I can't speak to that effect, and Tournament Edition already does a fantastic job with this.

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am highly doubtful it affects performance at all, on stock GE the patch does nothing to help performance. All it does is give GE the power to use the extra RAM

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only performance improvement is the optimized TLB manager written by zoinkity, but I highly doubt that it'd have any real world difference in multiplayer considering that it's fill rate limited

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One helpful (though also potentially harmful) thing that the extra memory can do in multiplayer, especially in larger maps (such as other mission maps given an mp setup file, or custom creations), is allow more rooms to load. Anyone who has tried Statue multi, will know that entire sections of the background will not appear at different times, depending on where players are and how much is being drawn on their screens. The additional RAM can get more loading, which looks better visually, but it also can impact frame rate with so many more polygons now showing. That's the one aspect of multi I can think of that the Expansion Pak would affect. The 60FPS Emulator may still be fine, but console will feel the difference.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had to make a few updates. There was an error with moving and extending the memory allocations table, where I set the wrong first half of an address. I took a better look with SubDrag's Disassembler Tool, and found the correct parts to edit. I also changed level ID 39 to use its "LxE" text file in bank 00, rather than B4. I believe something else shares that spot in RAM to load something to, so better just to avoid it. Initially, a few swinging doors in Facility and Archives opened in the wrong direction in the mirrored maps, but I quickly and quietly fixed them not long after uploading v1.03.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: