ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Using Rain/Snow in a Level...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Using Rain/Snow in a Level... Reply with quote Back to top

So I know there have been a few people who have either asked me directly, or posted somewhere about using these weather effects in other levels. I guess it is about time I try to help out, where I can.

Perfect Dark has 3 mission levels that you can set rain/snow in, and one other that you can activate the effect during cutscene cameras. In the 39850 Game Configuration menu, under Stage Options, you can edit these things. All the way to the upper right, you'll find a couple selection boxes...

Constant Snow Level
13 - Air Base

This isn't an easy thing to spot, but there are actually two different ways that snow acts. In Crash Site, it blows from different angles. While in Air Base, it comes from a constant angle. If you want this, set the level slot to match yours. If not, change it to something else.

There is also a button "Null Extra Snow Data (Air Base)" that you can click to affect it. I think I needed to do this for a level in GE-X, possibly Bunker.

Valid Snow/Rain Levels
09 - Chicago has 0x34
13 - Air Base has 0x12
08 - Crash Site has 0x2B

These are the levels where you can set which rooms have/don't have the weather effect in them. Update the level to match whichever one you are planning to include rain/snow in, but read on to know more about how it works first.

Action Block Trigger Snow/Rain
0A - G5 Building

During the outro cutscene, rain is toggled on. It will only play during the cutscene, and not during gameplay. Useful if you want it to start raining at the ending of one mission, and then have rain during the next. Or, like how Rare did it, and have the player go back outside into where it was raining in the previous mission. There is an ADVANCED option (further down) to make more use of this entry.

To edit which rooms are affected, select the level you want to change. Let's go with 13 - Air Base. Once you have chosen it from the list, a new "Snow/Rain Excluded" option will appear to the right of the level select area. There are 19 rooms you can set to use rain or snow for this level. Select, from the drop box, one of the 19 possible rooms, and type the ID of the room you want the weather to be in.

Now, I must point out, that Rare came up with a way to keep these lists as short as possible. If the level had fewer rooms that needed snow than rooms that did not, these room IDs would be INCLUDED. But, should there be far more rooms that actually used snow than didn't, the list of IDs would be for EXCLUDED rooms.

Examples (hypothetical)...

I have a level that has 0x22 rooms. I want it to snow in 0x7 of them. 0x7 is less than 0x1B, so my method would be INCLUDED rooms.

If my level has 0x28 rooms, and it is supposed to rain in 0x1F of them, I would set it to be EXCLUDED rooms, as 0x9 is fewer than 0x1F.

It has been a long time since I tweaked this stuff, but I think Air Base uses INCLUDED, while the other two use EXCLUDED. You'll find out quickly enough, anyway, if your weather effect does not show up.

Should you not need as many of the rooms as are available to you, simply set all the rest to a duplicate of a room you listed. It should also help with compression.

Alright, so now you have your level set to use valid rain/snow, and chose the rooms to either have or not have the effect. What's next? The action block for your level...

Snow is very simple. Create a 10XX type block with the following:
01B601
0005FD0000

This will enable the snow effect for your level. I imagine 01B600 would disable the effect, if you need to for a cutscene. Kind of the exact opposite of many Christmas movies, where it suddenly starts snowing like magic.

For Rain, you have a few options as to the severity of the downfall:
018B -
00 - Off (I am assuming)
01 - Light
02 - Medium
03 - Heavy

I would suggest you look at, or even reuse, the 1416 action block from Chicago. It randomly switches between the three, so the storm has more realism and diversity.

Save your setup, inject into your ROM that has the settings for your weather, and keep your fingers crossed. If it does not work, check you used the correct room IDs, and that the INCLUDED / EXCLUDED is not backwards.

----------------------

ADVANCED

Manual Work...
The weather effects are setup for the stage slots at 109E48 in ROM. You can rip this out as a .1173 compressed file, make edits, recompress, and put back into place. Just make sure it fits within the original space.

The Editor offers up a few more tricks you can follow.

OPTION #1

There is way to get greater use out of the Action Block Triggered Snow/Rain entry. There are two buttons. First, "Make Rain Not Just Cutscenes (G5)" will make it so the weather effect can appear during gameplay. And the second, "Split to Add Rooms for Action Block Snow", will steal rooms from the 08 - Crash Site block, and add them to a new 0A - G5 Building series of rooms.

You'll have to be careful how you are utilizing the weather. If you are simply making a one-off mission, than you have more freedom. But if this is part of a bigger project, with multiple levels that will make use of rain and/or snow, plan accordingly.

Results...
09 - Chicago has 0x34
13 - Air Base has 0x12
08 - Crash Site has 0x11
0A - G5 Building has 0x12

OPTION #2

If you click the "5 snow rooms" button, it will make a few changes. One, it will add rooms for the "Action Block Triggered Snow/Rain" entry. Secondly, it creates a duplicate, which will share the room IDs you set for the original. This option was implemented for GoldenEye X, because Surface could reuse the exact same rooms for both missions. It will divide up the rooms differently per slot, but you'll need to do these few steps first to get it working properly. Be sure to also click the "Make Rain Not Just Cutscenes (G5)" button, as well.

After clicking the "5 snow rooms" button, it should change the levels set. Instead of looking like this...
09 13 08
0A

It will now appear as this...
22 (Dupe Snow)
2C 24 1D
2D

You should reset those levels back to what they were by default, because there is some issue with the Editor that causes it to think more than those levels are actually supported. Once you put them back to the way they were (don't worry about the Dupe Snow one), click the "Write ROM with 3050/39850 Mods" button near the lower right corner. Save the ROM, and then reload the ROM after. This should update it properly.

Results...
09 - Chicago : 0x0D Rooms
13 - Air Base : 0x12 Rooms
08 - Crash Site : 0x11 Rooms
0A - G5 Building : 0x12 Rooms
22 - : 0x0D Rooms [SHARES WITH 09!]

You'll notice that 09 - Chicago now has fewer rooms than Option #1. So unless you can come up with a clever way to reuse the same room IDs for two maps, it might be better to avoid Option #2 for your project.

---------------------------

Should you hit a snag with your project, there are some wise minds out there who might be able to help. I mean, that's how GE-X got as much put into it as it did.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully I covered everything else the Editor can do within the Advanced portion of the post. Option #1 may be more useful than #2, as that was crafted to fit with GoldenEye X's needs. You'll really need to consider what your levels require when setting this up.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: You can look Reply with quote Back to top

You can look in my legacy collection of hacks over the years and look at the action blocks in the editor to see how it works inside of it as well. Smile

WRECK,

Is there any way to make the action block work in more than 3 levels?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I explain how to get four levels setup to use weather effects, with chosen rooms, lower down the post. There is currently the possibility to use a fifth, but it shares a set of room ID's with another stage (designed for GE-X Surface i and ii).

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Cewl! Reply with quote Back to top

Cool Sweet

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never fully understood what those buttons did so again thanx for taking the time to write this up, great information.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No word of a lie, I looked at this stuff nearly two months ago, and couldn't remember how to use it. It could be very confusing to anybody attempting to try it, who hasn't been given some info about it.

There's also a button to allow these weather effects to show in multiplayer, as it must have been disabled to aid performance.

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just decompiled some weather functions which you all may find useful:

* weatherAllocate - shows that weather is disabled if using multiple players
* weatherTick - shows conditions that weather is enabled for G5 and Air Base (tickmode 6 is cutscene)
* weatherIsRoomWeatherProof - list of rooms per stage that do or don't have weather - note the comments and return values

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how much info you may have on the 39850 file, but I was keeping track during the creation of both the PD Editor and GoldenEye X. I was uploading it for a while, but whatever is up now would be outdated. If interested, I could e-mail you what I have. Could fill in some blanks.

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have most of it figured out, but there are still some unknowns so I'll take you up on your offer. I'll PM you my email address.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic stuff all around! I was scratching my head a bit with this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: