ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Disable Anti-Aliasing / Filtering Code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Disable Anti-Aliasing / Filtering Code Reply with quote Back to top

PERFECT DARK NO-AA PATCH DOWNLOAD XDELTA
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a6c7oru01s68k54/PD_NO_AA_AC67_12-23-17.xdelta

Enabler (FF1EAE00 0000) +

PD V1.1
Code:
800608BC 0000
800608EC 0000
800608BD 0032
800608ED 0032

Or if you're using the BETA 6.4 for whatever reason (like me!):
Code:
80062DCC 0000
80062DFC 0000
80062DFD 0032
80062DCD 0032

Another comparison shot: https://i.gyazo.com/5f0d921cade7654e0294308566415a76.jpg
L-R: HI RES W/ AA, HIGH RES W/ NO AA, LO RES W/ AA. Makes the game look stunning, really.

Last edited by acceptable67 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always want to turn off the game immediately whenever I try one of those patch because of the dithering and the blinking that the sharpness produce, but as always I'll give it a try.

Good job nonetheless !

I have to say that on your screenshot, it does improve the visual. Maybe the lightning effect give the screen a bit of blur anyway which makes it look better than Goldeneye...

EDIT: It did not work on 1.1...I did try on a rom patched with xbla sounds.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, this is going to be quite rudimentary. I went the 'write' route with this which is generally more suspect-able to errors than if I were to modify reading, but it works pretty well from what I can see. I've updated the main post to have a download for the patch.

Modified 3 instructions, most importantly the Bitwise AND responsible for creating flags (address value is built by multiple flags set), which will allow 00000032 to be written to that address at all times. This means even on boot, so you will get a 'vbus_clock_enable bit set into the vi_control_reg' warning if using latest GlideN64 Rev plugin. I can assure you this is not entirely true (if it is even set at all, I've broke on it and see nothing of such), and if is, it's certainly overwritten immediately by my modifications.

Works emulator and console. PLEASE REPORT BUGS.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I first tried the patched rom (original v1.1) on the Everdrive 64 v2.5 I couldn't get past the intro logos, but after a second try I could finally play it.

I don't have the original PD very fresh, so I can't make a fair comparison.
I played the patched rom until the Area51 missions in low res mode and the game ran very smooth. I only experienced annoying slowdowns where there are a loooot of guards in the G5 Building when you open the safe. The Area 51 levels do have noticeable slowdowns (still very playable) but the other previous levels seem fine (even Villa felt right).

I don't know if the original low res mode played that great, I'll compare tomorrow.

However I didn't noticed jagged edges even at low res, so I guess this pacth does something different? https://youtu.be/QDiHgKil8AQ?t=2m30s
(or maybe my CRT and composite cable can't do much better, lol)

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Holy , PD gets a AA toggle too !?

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope i didn't just manage to enable dithering without the lack of aa.i will do comparison shots when I arrive home tonight . Thank you sogun

Quick Edit:
Just wanted to throw an update that the patch does in fact work, not just dithering.
I have made a comparison photo between my patch and the gameshark code.

Sorry for the large image. Note that there are several values that can be presented to the VI REG, including 0x00013216 and 0x00003216 which all may present a slightly different image, yet at the same time remove anti-aliasing.

Last edited by acceptable67 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

liveswired
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Bud, I appreciate your work on this. I thought I'd text out your patch as I use the Gameshark with No-AA.

This patch does NOT disable AA, this disables the dither filter keeping the AA on leaving an even muddier, lower quality image, in fact I think you have managed to accidentally reduce the render resolution as well pushing PD into a lower quality mode - below 240p.

The reason I know this:

I have an Ultra HDMI N64, outputting at 1200P, integer and de blur activated on a Dell 20" 4:3 1200P monitor.

I use my Gameshark for AA removal and I have also run patches.

All games I run off my N64 with AA disabled are pin sharp on this monitor, GoldenEye also looks incredibly sharp with No AA and there is not a single hint of pixel blur - just thought I'd let you know perhaps to remove the misinformation. Thanks.

OlivusPrime
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, cheers for the above, but I can confirm that liveswired is right in pointing out you've turned off the dither filter without disabling anti-aliasing.

I tried this on my Everdrive and didn't see a huge amount of improvement in clarity/performance, but then I tried the following codes for the PAL version from RetroRGB's site:

FF75C000 0000 (Master code)
8006056D 0000
8006059D 0000
8006056E 0032
8006059E 0032

The difference was really staggering. The game looked sharp as hell, and with the anti-aliasing turned off, runs noticeably smoother. Defection was much more manageable and Combat Simulator often seemed to go above 24fps.

The lines ending in 0032 control the anti-aliasing mode. "0032" sets it to "resample only", but if you want an even sharper picture with further improved performance, you can set it to "0033" to disable interpolation.

The lines ending in 0000 turn off the dither filter, but these can be ignored if you want a slightly smoother image with less dithering. There wasn't a noticeable performance change when I switched this on/off, though logically I would imagine having it off will increase performance very minimally.

I want to try some of the other codes I've found for the NTSC version soon, as I recognise that's the most widely used version of the game, but thought I would flag this all up for posterity.

Will6546
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi thanks to both you guys ) I try this later this new week hopefully. Also I like using,this No-light Glare, Code. It works great for me. It is better but, darker in spots. I seemed to lost that code. To post gee. Cya

OlivusPrime
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The following code seems to work for me on the NTSC 1.1 version of Perfect Dark (and by extension, GoldenEye X):

FF75C000 0000 (Master code)
810608BC 0000
810608BE 3216
810608EC 0000
810608EE 3216

I tried setting it to "33" mode/no interpolation, but it caused the screen to be split vertically into three duplicated sections. I didn't notice as much of a performance boost as on the PAL version but I have yet to compare them directly (in the absence of an in-built frame counter, recording and comparing the opening cutscene might be a start).

Will6546
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi thanks I just got on chk,my mail is this about Frame rates per, Sec. Fps? What's the codes for, sorry thanks!
I want try them out I only have a few lines to Spare on my one Rom,per page it seems? On my Everdrive X did you say you seen improvements... 🔙🔜 ☮️😎

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: