ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Prop not reacting to fog correctly...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Prop not reacting to fog correctly... Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded a prop template off of the N64 Vault a while ago, I just imported it into my rom and I followed all the instructions. I noticed that the level’s fog does not draw correctly over it. You can see it through the fog, regardless of setting. I had to change some of the level architecture because the background did the same exact thing, so I’m assuming there’s someway to change it in the model editor. Does anyone know what could be causing that or how to fix it?
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just out of curiosity, which prop was it?

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The plane wreckage prop by Johnny Thunder:

http://n64vault.com/ge-model-templates:crash-plane-prop

Never had an issue with importing template props before, this is the first time. Loads in correctly, just doesn’t get concealed by the fog. It always renders on top.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is highly likely the display list commands, as to how it handles the texturing. Anything I have personally contributed to the model templates, I try to directly mimic what Rare had in their prop files. And anything ported from Perfect Dark would already be alright (or should be). I can't say how Johnny did this one. If it was ripped from Jungle and turned into a prop, it may still be using display list commands usually not used by props.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After some looking and playing around with it, it seems I may have successfully fixed the problem, once I am happy with the results, I can put them up for download here, someone could add the updated files to the N64 Vault as well for anyone in the future.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've made the necessary changes and have gotten the plane wreckage prop to work correctly in-game. I had to go through and check each triangle to make sure the proper 'fog' settings were selected. Certain textures needed additional things marked... I looked at Rare's airplane and the supply truck for reference.

One more question, this wreckage prop in particular has a pretty big collision detection box around it... so much that Bond really cannot even walk close to it. Is there any way I can adjust this as well? Otherwise, I can figure out another way to make this work, but would rather just fix this prop if possible.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think there are ways to split up a prop into multiple parts, each with a bounding box of its own. But those models probably aren't well documented, and trickier to sort out. My personal recommendation would be to turn off the collisions on the wrecked plane, and carefully insert invisible objects sized to fit the main body and wings. It should only take a couple, and allow the player to walk up to it more closely.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Splitting the model up should be pretty easy in Edit Model.

Decide how many parts you want (wings, fuselage, debris, tail etc)

Next to tree there is an Add dropdown, inside which you can select Display list and Bounding volume.

add as many as you need then drag all the bounding boxes to the first position node (this should make them all direct children of the position node)

Do the same for dlists except make 1 dlist per bounding volume.

You should end up with something like

Code:
           wreckage
              |
          position
  ____________|__________
bound  bound    bound  bound
  |      |        |      |
dlist  dlist    dlist   dlist   

got to edit all in visual and then click on triangles (even select all connected) and go triangle tools > move to room > x (where x is a number corresponding to the dlists above)

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Easy for you, Trevor! Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: