ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Custom Mission Compilation...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
...the Platform from PD.

What's that, please?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What I refer to as "The Platform" from PD, is what they used as the placeholder map for any level that didn't have its own unique assets. Similar to how GoldenEye loads up an empty Bunker i map for many of the unused IDs. It is an incredibly basic square floor, floating in the sky. There is also a sort of ceiling up above it, but I don't think it renders correctly. The sky looks about the same as Dam. I'm not sure if there are any pictures of it. There may be something on YouTube showing it.

I've already got it setup. Right now it just has one objective, as I'm not going to get too involved with something that will definitely be getting replaced. I did, however, spend a tiny bit of time adding an extra feature. All I can say is... watch your step.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, interesting. Since it's basically a flat square, floating in the sky, do you think it might have been connected with the rumoured 'Rooftop' multiplayer map that was abandoned (apparently unfinished) before the game came out?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really want to speculate. To me, personally, it feels like something somebody threw together relatively quickly and put into every level ID to avoid crashing if that ID was loaded. They'd replace those as they went, whenever a mission or Combat Simulator map was added. If there were a bit more meat to this background, you may consider it as at least part of an abandoned or scrapped level. As it is, it doesn't appear to be anymore than a placeholder.

I have been picking at the pack more and more, and even fixed up a few of the bigger things I needed to get done. Some missions may even be "finished" or on the edge of it. I know people believe that the levels in this pack were technically already "finished", since they were released previously. But between making tweaks, adding more action blocks, redoing the AI Path Network, correcting clipping issues, editing text, and incorporating new cheats, none of them were in a finished state to begin with for this compilation.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I don't really want to speculate. To me, personally, it feels like something somebody threw together relatively quickly and put into every level ID to avoid crashing if that ID was loaded. They'd replace those as they went, whenever a mission or Combat Simulator map was added. If there were a bit more meat to this background, you may consider it as at least part of an abandoned or scrapped level. As it is, it doesn't appear to be anymore than a placeholder.

That does make sense. It makes me wonder what other games had genuine levels (such as GE's Citadel), however near or far from completion the levels were, left in the code that hackers could find. But unfortunately, the more powerful the console, the less people seem to have the ability and inclination to learn how to understand and modify it's games (I don't think I've seen any fan made mod for any first person shooter on any machine newer than the N64, and there were a few FPSs on the original XBox that I hoped would be fan modded/improved by hackers).

Quote:

I have been picking at the pack more and more, and even fixed up a few of the bigger things I needed to get done. Some missions may even be "finished" or on the edge of it. I know people believe that the levels in this pack were technically already "finished", since they were released previously. But between making tweaks, adding more action blocks, redoing the AI Path Network, correcting clipping issues, editing text, and incorporating new cheats, none of them were in a finished state to begin with for this compilation.

Nothing is ever straightforward is it? If life was a movie, then you'd spend thirty seconds typing on the PC, a message would appear in large text saying "Applying modifications", a solid bar would quickly fill up, the PC would beep, and you'd have a fixed rom that was perfect in every last detail.

And in fiction, electronics are always fully compatible with each other, so if this was fiction, then my N64 wouldn't look so bad on that new TV I bought last week (seriously). And since even if I can justify spending nearly half of the cost of the TV again on the UltraHDMI HDMI mod (currently it looks like it would set me back around £200, including installation and delivery) then I still have to wait indefinitely, since I can't find anywhere that's ready to complete orders, aside from the scalper on ebay who's looking to make $1,500 for his modded N64, and even if I was stupidly rich and not worried about my job still existing when the lockdown is over, then that still wouldn't be much use to me, as it's an NTSC N64.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Part update, part question...

Update: It is very close now. I am ticking things off my list, and was even able to get the custom head model of myself, made by Trevor, all fixed up and ready for his debut appearance. You won't have to look far to find me. I'm the only guy with a ponytail. Don't worry, I'm only in one mission and in multiplayer. You won't need to see my mug popping up on guards throughout the campaign. There's another familiar face you'll run into, as well.

Question: Currently, I do not have footstep sounds incorporated. I know some people really like this, while others have no preference. So, I thought it could either be a cheat option, or a watch option. The only thing in the watch that could maybe be repurposed is Sight On Screen. However, I don't know how / if that affects players who use mouse + keyboard controls on emulator. The Ammo On Screen option was already changed into Anti-Aliasing OFF / ON. Do you guys want footstep sounds supported?

Oh, I'm also trying to think up another name for the pack. Something that sounds a little more official. One I did come up with was "MI6 Selects". But I am open to your suggestions.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you must add it, then repurpose a unused/useless cheat and 2BFE before executing the 10FF block. Sight on screen should have no effect on emulation, however there might be players who prefer no crosshair when aiming.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As a cheat is probably fine, though I'd consider it more as a feature (just like Anti-Aliasing). An option that doesn't do anything to give the player some sort of edge, or modify enemies in some fashion. But I suppose Paintball Mode falls under the same category, which may be why PD had it as a standard option for players. Same goes for radar.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I came up with a way to repurpose the Sight On Screen option for Footstep SFX, while also allowing players to toggle the crosshairs ON/OFF during gameplay. Each mission will have an action block that checks if the player is holding both shoulder buttons (L+R) for a very short time. If so, it toggles it off or on, depending on what it was set to previously. I added a short buffer in between, to prevent players from accidentally setting it twice. This does not affect multiplayer, where the option is set in the menu.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could call the compilation "007: Performance Review", or something similarly, such as "007: Missions Journal", or another variation on the theme of these being past missions of Bond's, upon which is he is being assessed later.

Or you could give it a typical Bond title, one that's slightly surreal but memorable. Such as:

"Echoes of an Imperial Past"

"Instruments of a Mediator"

"Broker of Peace, Envoys of War"

"Climactic Scene, Enter Stage Right"

"Weapons of Peace, Cancers of War"

"A Symphony of Bedlam"

"A Concerto of Bullets"

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that bugs me, anyway, is you have to watch for repeated words. If you start with "007: Yada Yada", than on the level selection folders when you choose 007 Mode to play on, you'll see "007" right on top of each other. Similar problem with "Mission" being used on the line below. Just to explain...

Difficulty : Agent Name
Compilation Title (formerly mission # : location)
Mission Number : Mission Name (formerly part # : part name)
Author(s) (new line)
Primary Objectives

So you could wind up with...

007: James Bond
007: Mission Journal
Mission 1: Island
Author: TimEh

Which, obviously, doesn't look good. The traditional Bond title style may be a bit too much for this pack, at least. It should be fairly clear and easy to understand, or else it could confuse people as to what the intent is. But I appreciate your comments thus far.

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck do you have any update on this? Still looking forward to this!

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Any news on this at all, please?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had sent a beta patch out fairly recently to a few people in order to receive feedback. It was mostly positive, with only minor suggestions for improvements. I should be able to have the first release out before GE's upcoming anniversary.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I had sent a beta patch out fairly recently to a few people in order to receive feedback. It was mostly positive, with only minor suggestions for improvements. I should be able to have the first release out before GE's upcoming anniversary.

That's great. I had to check on Wikipedia for Goldeneye's release date (25th August), so it's not too much more than a month away!

It's good to have things to look forward to, in this miserable, Covid ridden world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: