ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Could we end up actually getting a remake?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Could we end up actually getting a remake? Reply with quote Back to top

I just saw this on YouTube:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRpHtVmmo0

Made me think perhaps the bond franchise is desperate for money and would be willing to work with Nintendo/rare now to finally make this a reality?

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We can only hope! In all seriousness I'd think about applying for a job with the studio that takes that contract on! Wink

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know that taking out a loan to make a lower tier movie is not uncommon, but we're talking about one of the biggest film studios in the world, and one of the largest and most successful film franchises. So surely they should be rich enough to (a) not need to take out a loan to make the new Bond film, (b) rich enough to (intelligently) ride out the delay of this and other movies until a profitable manner of release for this and other movies becomes practical.

MGM must have a terrible business model to be in this position.

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Update:

MGM is exploring a sale: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-12-21/james-bond-studio-mgm-is-exploring-a-sale%3f_amp=true

This is our best shot right? MGM sells and the new owners green light a remake? We already know Rare is down with it and Nintendo didn’t slam the door closed either. MGM was the obstacle that wouldn’t budge.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EON holds 007 rights, not just MGM

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Damn this is a mess lol was EON against the Xbox 360 remake that was completed? Or just MGM?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody was, exclusive game rights were reserved to Activision at the time, which was unknown to the Project Bean team while they worked on restoring the 10 year old codebase. When they showed higher up their WIP demo (which all public footage uses) they approached both Activision and EON/Danjaq for permission. The reasons all parties couldn't come to an agreement is still unknown (no, it wasn't Nintendo's fault) but it's clear that the cost was greater than Rare/MS had anticipated, with sales leading to a disappointing profit margin for a XBLA release game.

There is another elephant in the room - GoldenEye's success had a knock on effect for the license cost. Shortly after, EON/MGM started to increase the cost to license and tack on gameplay limitations (no blood, can't have MI6 characters fight eachother in MP, can't show Bond dying in third person, etc). To get around that the developers/publisher would have to negotiate/pay extra to get around each condition, and this is not even counting the costs for actor's likenesses and 007 theme song.

When rare replay was being worked on, they recorded two making of videos with some of the original team and used the still unfinished XBLA build. It's pretty damning evidence that GoldenEye was originally going to be included with rare replay, so there must be something with the cost/contract limiting the XBLA version getting released.

Nowadays there is hardly the same level of interest in seeing a remaster/port of GoldenEye to newer platforms. The XBLA build is dated enough that bringing it out of storage would be met with a lukewarm reception at best, and wouldn't break even with the stacked license costs. There are people with the XBLA build outside of rare (thanks to pnet hack) but all have gone radio silent. The Project Bean developers don't have any copies lying around, and there is a current 5k USD bounty for anyone who can supply a leaked copy.

TL;DR even if MGM is sold and split, EON would still retain some 007 rights.

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... first off thank you for sharing so much valuable info. Totally made my Christmas Eve!

What exactly is a pnet hack? How many individuals do you think have the build outside of rare? You mentioned they went radio silent... so at one point they were openly discussing the fact that they had the Xbox goldeneye remake in their possession? Did they share anything about it? Who is in charge of this 5k bounty? I can guarantee I could easily find more people like myself to increase that number!

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Partner net, Project Bean was one of the tests available to developers.

And speaking of, the XBLA beta was just leaked publicly in a passworded zip.

The guy who offered the bounty just removed their threads, likely from this possible leak.

Good times, maybe we'll see XBLA by 2021

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wait what?! Is it possible the goldeneye Xbox remake could be inside that leaked zip?!

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is the XBLA GE build, currently waiting for password to leak/be cracked

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap bro! What an amazing early Christmas gift! Please tell me you aren’t trolling lol

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Until the password is shared, it'll just be an zip file with filenames

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
Until the password is shared, it'll just be an zip file with filenames

Wow. ****. Amazing. Thank you for responding. Truly a wonderful gift just off the strength of nostalgia. Bless you. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Goldeneye Forever...

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OMG! I hope we actually get to play GE XBLA!!!!
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: