ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

An idea for a new Goldeneye or Perfect Dark project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: An idea for a new Goldeneye or Perfect Dark project Reply with quote Back to top

Not my idea, but I've seen a few people mention this when they have used the Stolen/Carniverous version of 1964 to play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark; a mod to make the games suitably harder could be great.

See, the problem is that using a keyboard and mouse, instead of a joypad, to play GE or PD makes the game *much* easier, because of course mouse aiming is much quicker and accurate than with a joypad.

So if these games could be modded to make them more challenging to keyboard and mouse players then that would be great. The only problem might be the balancing of the changes, I think (balancing the difficulty of a game is always a problem, of course). Increasing the damage that the enemies inflict, whilst decreasing the damage that you (the player character) inflict would be a start, but perhaps add a few more enemies too, if possible. And maybe decrease the damage that ll weapons do when you are using them, by a certain percent, might comfortably make the game harder, too.

I don't know how the games' auto-aims work in the emulator, but it would probably be best for the emulator to either disable auto-aim in the games, or for the new difficulty mods, if anyone does create them, to have the games' auto-aims disabled. So that aiming is entirely downt to the player's skill with the mouse.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How is this any different to using 007/Perfect Dark difficulty mode?

Also auto aim is off by default for the included save profiles.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
How is this any different to using 007/Perfect Dark difficulty mode?

Also auto aim is off by default for the included save profiles.

I'd imagine that most people new to the games won't know about 007 mode, and even if they do, the would have to experiment to find the right settings to give that person an enjoyable challenge.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The benefit with 007/Perfect Dark is that the user can find settings that they are compatible with, while having a preset that ups the difficulty by default to compensate for mouse input would be difficult to match across all user skill levels; for example I've seen streamers have a lot of difficulty with the later stages (control, caverns) and other streamers like graslu can play through the entire game without dying.

I feel like this idea would be better served as a standalone patch (like GE hard mode) rather than integrating into 1964 - at least you'd be able to include setup changes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: