ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE007 N64 Disassembly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Immorpher again:

"Now the source code is out for people to edit and make their own N64-compatible versions of Doom 64! Get it here:

https://github.com/Erick194/DOOM64-RE

You can check out other posts on the release here:
Doomworld post: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/118196/
GEC Twitter: https://twitter.com/inc_gec/status/1328969154603397120

I will update the topic above to include the GitHub link.
"

Thanks to Immorpher for the news.

For those who aren't able to compile the code into an executable rom, but who want the new features that have been added to the rom, simply download this patch to add the following in a menu to the unpatched v1.1 NTSC commercial Doom 64 rom:

- SECURITY KEYS "locked from the original game, give all the keys available in the level"

- WALL BLOCKING "locked from the original game, I consider it as Noclip"

- LOCK MONSTERS "locked from the original game, stops the movement of enemies like Doom 64 Ex"

- MUSIC TEST "locked from the original game, you can play the music available from the game"

- Colors "new feature for me, turn colors on and off making the game experience more interesting"

- FULL BRIGHT "new feature for me, all colors will be completely clear"

- FILTER "new feature for me, activates and deactivates the 3-point filter of the game"

The patch is here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5544/

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just seen this, via a link on the Doom World forums:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kgPXUDuxEaCN6nxVsWiY2lBy9XM-e9er2Z2D67azgC0/edit#gid=0

It's a list of fan-made levels for Doom 64, both work in progress levels, and finished ones. Though since it looks like all of the levels currently on the list are made to be used not with Doom 64 itself, but with the various PC ports of the game, then it seems likely that these levels won't work with Doom 64 on an N64 without possibly a fair bit of alteration. It will be very interesting to see how progress in this area goes, anyway.

Source: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116927-the-doom-64-rerelease-thread/

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Next up: Quake! And the wonderful world of mods that come with it!

At least, that'd be my dream Wink

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
On the official Everdrive 64 forum, a user named Immorpher posted the following:

"Update! A GEC Discord member just informed me of this:

https://gitlab.com/ryandwyer/perfect-dark

Looks like there is work being done on Perfect Dark reverse engineering. And apparently a few other games as well:

https://n64.dev/#reverse-engineering"

It's great to see more work being done on making these games open source, to allow for the possibility of bug fixing, expanding the games' features and the possibility of more advanced game modding, and also of making the games run natively on other computers and consoles.

Good lord , this is good news, the only thing missing from this is the awesome wrestling games by THQ AKI corp -
if those where to be made open source, they could be awesome

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It just came to me why guys like SubDrag, Wreck, Carnivourus Zonikity etc. Have not helped out that github team with the GE007 and PD64 developments in terms with everything they know about those games mod-wise?

oldyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can only guess...

many factors are involved, & a bit of a sunk cost fallacy-ish effect may be at play.
legally, making/attempting to make the games opensource might get you cease & desist crud at the very least, legal trouble at the worst - does not mean the end tho, since you can still work on it & share it trough the "dark web" - but going underground limits the amount of people who can cooperate & who can enjoy the fruits of your labor & you can't openly take credit for what you did.
not to mention it also limits any donation or fund-raising efforts, etc

a second factor is the whole trouble of basically starting all over again, basically re-doing & remaking all of the projects nearly from scratch, lots of stuff to re-learn & it truly might interfere with any new gains & insights in their current line of work...

third factor,
a lot of N64 modders want things to work with the console.
It is nice to keep the ol' N64 going, but its limitations are just horrible.
To have it run well for a lifetime involves lots of money & time invested.
think , crt tv repair - or a HDMI mod - everdrive to play mods, Metallic N64 gears for your controllers.... it is admirable, but all the hardware issues limits the potential of the games.

personally i lke the console, but i have used it 0 times in the last 5 years.
i use the controllers with USB adaptors in the PC, & emulation, mostly for multiplayer games on reunions - gone are the days that i had to haul a backpack of wires, batteries, memmory packs , rumble packs & cartridges...

there is no reason anymore for good classic games to need different consoles....

still, i do have this dream of this weird silver N64 that can play all titles up to the N64, aill in wide-screen, 3D, netplay - where i play with my cousins against other 8 people in some other place...

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thundera8589 wrote:
It just came to me why guys like SubDrag, Wreck, Carnivourus Zonikity etc. Have not helped out that github team with the GE007 and PD64 developments in terms with everything they know about those games mod-wise?

They have, but not directly. Many of their notes are public. Before I started the PD decomp I was already familiar with their notes and had even used them to write some of my own programs (eg. asset viewers).

I'm also in a chatroom with Carnivorous and a few other knowledgeable people from this forum. In the early months of the project there was a lot of knowledge exchange in both directions relating to AI commands (action blocks). Some of their findings has improved the decomp project and some of my findings has helped improve the editor.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RyanDwyer wrote:
Thundera8589 wrote:

They have, but not directly. Many of their notes are public. Before I started the PD decomp I was already familiar with their notes and had even used them to write some of my own programs (eg. asset viewers).

I'm also in a chatroom with Carnivorous and a few other knowledgeable people from this forum. In the early months of the project there was a lot of knowledge exchange in both directions relating to AI commands (action blocks). Some of their findings has improved the decomp project and some of my findings has helped improve the editor.

Oh, are you the bloke who is doing the PD disassembly? It's really great to see that you've taken on the (huge!) task, and I am really looking forward to seeing the projects progression - PD is my favourite ever game, and I would *love* to see it running on other machines.

Do you have any objective past a working, compilable N64 source code base? Such as a Windows version of PD, with definable support for keyboard and mouse?

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I'd be interested to know what redundant code is lying around in the Rom, and what other unnamed features were cut Smile

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@RyanDwyer - I have some questions about the PD Disassembly and what it would mean for GoldenEye X's future modding. You think you can head on over to the GoldenEye X section of the forum and answer my questions and explain to me more about disassembly on the thread I created over there? I would really appreciate it.

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
Do you have any objective past a working, compilable N64 source code base? Such as a Windows version of PD, with definable support for keyboard and mouse?

My first goal is to get it fully decompiled, then do the same for the other versions of the game. Then my focus will turn to cleaning up the codebase. From there I might embark on some (non-matching) side projects, like refactoring the engine so it can run the full game in 4MB, or overhauling the AI list system so it becomes more optimised.

I have no interest in porting it to other platforms, but I'm sure someone else will.

MRKane wrote:
Personally I'd be interested to know what redundant code is lying around in the Rom, and what other unnamed features were cut

Some interesting things off the top of my head:

* Piracy checks in several places will troll you or crash the game if triggered
    * Some leftover code in the title screen displays "RARE PRESENTS" in the corner with a typewriter style effect
    * The title screen can overlay a semi-transparent black rectangle across the middle third of the screen horizontally - possibly to show a demo in the background with the logo placed over the top
    * Some menu code attempts to show PerfectHead thumbnails in the file copy/delete dialogs
    * Turbo mode code is functional
    * Firing range targets can rotate and stop at 90 degree increments (the game only ever uses 180 though)

oldyz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RyanDwyer wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

My first goal is to get it fully decompiled, then do the same for the other versions of the game. Then my focus will turn to cleaning up the codebase. From there I might embark on some (non-matching) side projects, like refactoring the engine so it can run the full game in 4MB, or overhauling the AI list system so it becomes more optimised.

I have no interest in porting it to other platforms, but I'm sure someone else will.

How can someone or people who want a windows version, but have limited programming skills need to do to get a windows port going?
what should somebody be looking for in order to hire someone to do a port once you de-compile it?

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't worry about that. It's a safe bet that someone else will port it to PC. SM64 got ported to PC very quickly after the decomp was finished.

tolos
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a discord or someplace to collaborate on the Goldeneye project? (or irc, if maybe you remember me from the GSC days...)

kholdfuzion
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tolos wrote:
Is there a discord or someplace to collaborate on the Goldeneye project? (or irc, if maybe you remember me from the GSC days...)

Check your pm's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: