ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Character List Comparison...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Character List Comparison... Reply with quote Back to top

I've made a list of what I believe to be all the heads in the game, for both graphics modes. It would appear that a few were replaced with, what I can only assume to be, completely new heads. 3E is very clearly a low poly rendition of the remastered head. These textures don't appear in the original game ROM. Another sad note, is not only was the character of Dr. Doak replaced, but his head is gone (model seems to have issues drawing). Whenever you see someone running around with no head in original graphics mode, take a moment to remember who it is that should be there...

Code:
ID   Original   / Remaster

2A   Karl                         / Male, Pete Hentze - Dark Faux Hawk
2B   Alan                         / MISSING - uses Male, Ken Lobb
2C   Pete                         / Male, Pete Cox - Short Brown Hair
2D   Martin                       / Male, Luke Munton - Short Med-Dark Brown Hair with Stubble
2E   Mark                         / Male, Mark Edmonds - Curly Hair, Glasses and Goatee
2F   Duncan                       / Male, Duncan Botwood - Short Black Hair with Stubble
30   Shaun                        / Male, Huw Ward - Short Brown Hair, Fuller Faced
31   Dwayne                       / Male, Rich Cousins - Short Brown Hair with Stubble
32   B                            / Male, Rod Boyd - Dark Brown Faux Hawk
33   no head                      / Male, Dave Wong - Short Brown Hair and Glasses
34   Grant                        / Male, Anthony Salway - Dark Hair in Ponytail, Glasses, and Soul Patch
35   Des                          / Male, Sergey Rakhmanov - Short Dark Hair with Bangs and Stubble
36   Chris                        / Male, Chris Tilston - Short Hair with Thick Reddish Beard
37   Lee                          / Male, Lee Schuneman - Short Black Hair with Beard
38   Neil                         / Male, Dan Carey - Short Hair, Black Bangs, Glasses and Goatee
39   Jim                          / Male, --- Pat Rabbette? --- Short Light Brown Hair with Stubble
3A   Robin                        / Male, Gary Talbot - Short Dark Brown Hair with Stubble
3B   Steve H                      / Male, Laurie Cheers - Shaggy Brown Hair
3C   Balaclava                    / Balaclava
3D   Biker                        / Biker (face of Chris Tilston)
3E   Male S.Glasses A             / Male, Dave Herod - Short Dark Hair, Glasses and Chin Hair
3F   Male S.Glasses B             / Male, Ross Bury - Short Brown Hair
40   Joel                         / Male, Chris Kimmel - Short Salt and Pepper Hair with Stubble
41   Scott                        / Male, Keith Rabbette - Short Dark Hair with Stubble
42   Joe                          / Male, Chris Woods - Short Brown Hair
43   Ken                          / Male, Ken Lobb (same as 2B)
44   Male Who?                    / Male, Jon Mummery - Short Med-Dark Hair with Stubble
45   Mishkin                      / Mishkin
46   Sally                        / Female, Louise O'Connor - Dark Pigtails and Bangs
47   Marion                       / Female, Elissa Park - Auburn Hair Tied Back
48   Mandy                        / Female, Nicola Bhalerao - Brunette with Ponytail
49   Vivien                       / Female, --- Unknown --- Dark Hair in Bun
4A   no head                      / no head
4B   no head                      / no head
4C   no head                      / no head
4D   no head                      / no head
4E   Brosnan                      / no head

Another really interesting thing, is there's an extra (I suppose beta?) head model in the game. It is attached to the unused female civilian 1A. Those textures were leftover in the N64 ROM. So the question is... did somebody rebuild this head, or did they have access to other files that didn't make it into the game to begin with?

I posted a pic here...
https://twitter.com/GoldeneyeMods/status/1357832427968880645

Oh, and Ken Lobb somehow has three head models. Two remastered (which I think are identical?), and the original. Maybe their way of making up for his name being attached to one of gamings worst firearms, heh.
UPDATE: Apparently the "Alan" head in the new folder was missing, and a copied version of Ken was used in its absence.

Last edited by Wreck on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:07 am; edited 6 times in total

BillyGlenn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some additional screenshots

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Character List Comparison... Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Whenever you see someone running around with no head in original graphics mode, take a moment to remember who it is that should be there...

This crap hurts man... Crying or Very sad [/img]

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did a head to head of MP characters.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ln0xdjd9a9rv1y/All.JPG?dl=0
I had a quick look at heads in PD XBLA and many of them are there.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/interview-the-real-story-behind-goldeneye-hd-as-told-by-its-directors/

I used https://goldeneye.fandom.com/wiki/Developers for some of the details.

Some more comments found from Twitter discussion: https://mobile.twitter.com/GoldeneyeMods/status/1377406895061749761

I’ve put everything on a Google Sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10SF6jLfHydiA17JEEGxl8BmV52QmJ6fepsHozFcvvJo/edit

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 am; edited 7 times in total

Morrigan Aensland-Hill
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's very upsetting that David Doak's head was not in the XBLA version of GoldenEye64 ever since Doak left Rare. Which reminds me.....

If there was a custom guard head model resembling Doak of what he looked like right now, then both the original and remastered versions of Doak's head would be implemented in the GE:XBLA game as one of those Repairs/Fixes patches. Won't you GoldenEye fans be pleased if you saw that Doak is now in GE:XBLA?

...Also, my husband sells propane and propane accessories.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, Doak is in the game. I was messing around with the original head files and put some of the middle of the dave head file into mark’s (because Mark is the first MP character) and the texture is definitely Doak. ... For some reason the dave file is bugged somehow rather than not present.

Edit: see later post for a working version of the original Doak head

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll need to update my first post tomorrow with the newest data. Thanks to Twitter, we have all but three names known or confirmed. There is only supposed to be one "new" Ken Lobb, but his model was copied into the Alan folder (assuming by the leakers). Doak's head may have the same sort of issue as the other Bond models. Hopefully that can be sorted out.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For the original heads, Lee and Scott seem to have the same shape head as Dave. I tried transposing Dave onto them ...
The changed sections are:
5094-77D4 (face)
9094-B7D4 (right)
D094-F7D4 (left)
This is the sequence for Lee, others are different and the sides are reversed compared to dave.
... I think each “side” is divided into 3 sections and each section is subdivided further into 8 blocks... there’s still something not right about the way the heads move up and down...
Edit: irrelevant content removed

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've updated the first post with the most recent information we have. Only two heads are unknown, and a third has only been guessed at. The rest do seem to have been confirmed by current and former employees of Rare.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Amazing. Well done.

Dark Reyn wrote:
Does anyone know the format for the colour pixels? ... I somehow need to reverse the order for the sides but can’t quite work out the way they would be reordered. I think each “side” is divided into 3 sections and each section is subdivided further into 8 blocks. But it’s they way I reorder within each block I’m struggling with.

Edit - errors / irrelevant sections removed.

Each block contains 512 bits. They seem to have about 8 down ... 8x16 ... What format were the textures on N64?

Sorry, this is probably not much interest to most people...

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Reyn wrote:
Sorry, this is probably not much interest to most people...

Ok, so I think I’ve figured it out. The 512 bit (64 byte) texture blocks that I described are in what seems to me to be a strange format (but then I’m an amateur so I may just not recognise it).

The 64 bytes are further divided into 8 parts which make up the texture and make up the texture in parts ordered like this:
1 2 5 6
3 4 7 8

The parts are 4x4 pixels and textures are essentially grayscale but with white/black replaced with 2 other colours (eg skin tone and brown beard for Dave). Each 8 byte part is then separated into the first 4 byte part which determines the two colours being used.

The second 4 byte part determines the shade of the pixels. Each byte does one row in the following order:
Each byte (8 bit) dictates shading for four pixels. In pairs of bits they do this from right to left.

Hopefully this is correct. As I say, it all seems very odd.

Edit: The format is DirectX DX texture (D3DFMT_DXT1) I've finally found something that describes the bit structure that I was seeing. It essentially confirms that if you're editing a texture, you won't lose any quality, provided you can stay within the 2 extreme colours for each 4x4 pixel block.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3d9/opaque-and-1-bit-alpha-textures
I'm not sure a tool exists for this but if it did, you could edit textures with no loss. Only problem is, you would be confined to the base colours for the block. As a general rule though, you only ever want to edit areas of a texture, never move them, if you start moving stuff from one 4x4 block to another, you'll get loss.

Most importantly... Here is my test of the theory by reversing the sides of the dave textures and applying them to Lee’s head. This should serve as a Dave head (original) placeholder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzq8db3lpel493o/default.bin?dl=0
Also one which uses Scott's head but there's little difference:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ij80czqwrlu8ka/default.bin?dl=0

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I've updated the first post with the most recent information we have. Only two heads are unknown, and a third has only been guessed at. The rest do seem to have been confirmed by current and former employees of Rare.

Re 39, have you tried asking Keith Rabbette about Pat? I assume they’re related although not sure if he is on Twitter etc.
Re 49 she is also in PD XBLA although not sure that helps us much.

Good work reintroducing the new Doak.

I wonder if the heads need a little juggling. They are different to the order they took the photos in MP select screen. Looking at the photos that differ (Civilian 2, Moonraker Elite 1) they would seem to reflect the original head numbers.

Presumably we could (and should?) have both Doaks back as Scientist 1 and Dr Doak and the others back to their correct heads. The changes would be:

Dr Doak in Facility 1P from 35 back to 33 (I think latest CE now uses 2B)
Scientist 1 from 3B back to 33 (“dave”)
Civilian 2 from 32 back to 3E (“graeme”)
Janus Special Forces from 3E back to 32 (“b”)
Moonraker Elite 1 from 35 back to 38 (“neil”)

But with the new Doak head as new 33, you would need to shift David Wong, presumably to 2B (“alan”)

Although strictly speaking if trying to be faithful, we need to work on original heads for Graeme, Steve E and Joe though.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My apologies for continually cluttering up this thread (in my defence I’m pretty excited about the project and it’s a silver lining on an otherwise pretty miserable year) and I guess I could delete some of my earlier obsolete posts. But I thought I’d put a couple of questions to the group.

Does anyone know where the head data is for PD XBLA? Or indeed if anyone has had any joy in breaking down the file? I remember seeing an old thread on the forum but it didn’t seem like there had been any joy.

I think Flargee, Wreck and AL64inthedark have been working on XBLA heads. It took me a while simply to decipher the XBLA texture format for the original heads (as outlined above) and even then, I am not certain I’d be able to convert a texture into said format. Does anyone know what software or tools would help in terms of manipulating the meshes or applying new textures?

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I’ve just stumbled on this old post:
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=6437
Contains a nice Natalya head
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xERTFab2Kjw/VH75MraOJWI/AAAAAAAABvY/eFlST_L9Spw/s1600/nat_headxb_test.png
Realistically a pain because of the hair and we never had Jo’s head to work with. But I wonder if we can use some the face texture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: