ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Display Mission Time in Milliseconds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Display Mission Time in Milliseconds Reply with quote Back to top

Hello! I am part of the XBLA speedrunning community and I wondered if it is possible to mod the game so that it displays the Mission Time in seconds and milliseconds?

Many of us also speedrun the 1964 version of Goldeneye and have a very useful program called Stopwatch developed (I believe?) by Carnivorous. We are looking for something similar for XBLA to help us time and improve our runs.

I am a total beginner when it comes to modding but I have read a few posts about editing the .xex file to modify the game. Is it possible to do that so that the Mission Time goes down to 3 decimal places?

Maybe there are other ways to go about this?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It can be adjusted by editing the arguments for sprintf

Morrigan Aensland-Hill
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, dear me. Carny, you have 666 posts. That's an unholy number, don't you think? Twisted Evil

...Also, my husband sells propane and propane accessories.

Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great, that sounds like it could be easy to do.

I assume I am editing the default.xex with a hex editor? Which part is associated with the mission time?

(edit: sorry for the basic questions, I don't have much of an idea where to start with this!)

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can do this over the next few days, I've been busy with other projects. Just for reference, are you requesting something like this screenshot?

Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That would be fantastic, thanks so much for your help!

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies for the delay, I'm hoping to include this with the community edition build as a harmless button combination at mission stats page. Likely done by the end of this week or weekend.

Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, that would be great.

But can I ask if it is possible to include the timer change in a separate version without the other CE changes? (similar to how there is a separate 'defaultCE-surround' version).

Although the CE version is great for casual playthroughs, at the moment we are not using it to speedrun the game. The concern is that some changes later down the line will alter the level to the degree that old strategies will be obsolete, or worse, previously viable strategies are no longer possible. To avoid this the general consensus is to use the 'vanilla' version that was initially made available.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had a feeling it'd be requested for an unaltered XBLA version, as speedrunners are sticking to that. While I can't see anything major enough happening with the CE version to affect strategy, I understand the concern (door glass may be one area). It'd be like someone using a modified GE N64 ROM for speedrunning, even if it only corrects some spelling issues or something. Nobody really knows if some other tinkering was made, which might benefit the player. The honour system only goes so far before somebody abuses it.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This has been added to the milliseconds patch collection. The patch file (make briefing time show milliseconds (XBLA).ips) only works with an uncompressed default.xex binary [15.1 MB size]. It is compatible with both fyodorovna/community edition xex files.

Like the N64 patches, it will display the raw seconds instead of rounding per minute. I can confirm the per second rounding itself is accurate to the original time display logic.

Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great, this is fantastic! Thank you for this.

Can I just check, you have displayed the mission time in seconds only, so is this likely to cause any issues with the format of the 'best time' saved?

e.g. will 65.33333 save as 65.33333 in 'best time' or as 1:05.33333? or perhaps simply 1:05?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Best time is saved as integer, and there is not enough room code wise to implement proper minute rounding without refactoring the last sector of the xex like with community edition. Both best and target time will use the original time layout [%02d:%02d].

The only changed code is the briefing menu code for displaying the current time - internally it behaves exactly like the original xex.

Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great, thanks again. It's very useful to know when we are close to the next full second so everyone will be highly appreciative of this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: