ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fuel to the re-release fire...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Fuel to the re-release fire... Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx33jkSC38Q

Nintendo has requested that Germany lift its ban on the sale of GoldenEye.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That does seem strange. The only reason I can see for Nintendo taking the trouble to make that request would be because they (Nintendo) want to re-release the game, but that would mean that they either have acquired the rights, or believe that they can acquire the rights, to re-release the game (on whatever format).

The rights to the game were supposed to be jointly held between Rare (which since the early 2000s meant Microsoft), MGM (who own the copyright for the film, which the game is based upon), and Nintendo. If I remember rightly, whoever at the time owned the rights to make Bond games (wasn't it Electronic Arts in 2008/9, when the XBox 360 remaster was forced to be abandoned?) also could forbid the re-release of any old Bond games, if they chose, since they them had the exclusive rights to publish Bond games.

Still, it's been so long since any Bond games were released that probably no company currently has leased the rights to publish Bond games, so maybe it's now only Microsoft, MGM, and Nintendo who have a say in a Goldeneye re-release. And it's not impossible for Nintendo to get the other two to agree to a re-release/remaster, as long as Nintendo would pay what MGM and Microsoft ask.

I wouldn't have expected it, though.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Danjaq (the holding company for most things James Bond) holds most of the rights to GoldenEye the game. MGM is just the distributor for the films.

Although Rare developed it, Nintendo published it, so the only rights Rare possibly has are to the use of their name, logo, and some staff featured in the game.

Other rights holders are Monty Norman (composer of the James Bond Theme), the film actors depicted in the game, and possibly individual ex-Rare employees whose faces are used.

My guess though, is that because GE has no Rare-owned characters in it, unlike Diddy Kong Racing DS where Banjo and Conker had to be taken out, and the logo + employee faces were probably baked into the contracts at the time, Rare actually has NO rights to the game, and it would actually be harder for Microsoft to release it because Nintendo has the publishing rights. I see it as a Donkey Kong Country situation rather than a Banjo-Kazooie situation. Just imagine that Donkey Kong is Pierce Brosnan. Razz

I surmise that there are two reasons GE has never been re-released. The biggest is the cost of licensing from Danjaq, Monty Norman, and the film actors. As you can't feasibly charge a lot for an emulated original ROM, Nintendo has probably felt that it hasn't been worth it.

The second reason is that although you CAN charge more for a remaster, only Microsoft has been interested in doing so. And because Nintendo owns the code, they weren't able to proceed.

Nintendo MAY finally believe GE is now worth the cost of Bond rights acquisition because it can be used as a selling point for Nintendo Switch Online as well as the re-released Nintendo 64 controllers. The upcoming 25th anniversary also adds some promotional oomph.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: