ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mapping custom faces onto existing Goldeneye Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwarz04
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Mapping custom faces onto existing Goldeneye Characters Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm admittedly not an expert when it comes to using the Goldeneye Editor quite yet. I'm not looking to re-build completely custom characters in Blender or the like, all I am trying to achieve is creating custom faces on characters that already exist in the Goldeneye ROM. I know at one point there was a tool called Face Mapper that seemed to do this, but that required a Game Shark and cables to connect.

Is there any fairly simple method to swap out the images for faces of existing Goldeneye characters in the Goldeneye Editor and write them to a new ROM?

I'll be forever appreciative to whomever can help me out with this. I know the basics of creating ROMs and navigating within the GE Editor, but cannot seem to replace faces.

Thank you in advance!

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mapping custom faces onto existing Goldeneye Characters Reply with quote Back to top

Schwarz04 wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here. I'm admittedly not an expert when it comes to using the Goldeneye Editor quite yet. I'm not looking to re-build completely custom characters in Blender or the like, all I am trying to achieve is creating custom faces on characters that already exist in the Goldeneye ROM. I know at one point there was a tool called Face Mapper that seemed to do this, but that required a Game Shark and cables to connect.

Is there any fairly simple method to swap out the images for faces of existing Goldeneye characters in the Goldeneye Editor and write them to a new ROM?

I'll be forever appreciative to whomever can help me out with this. I know the basics of creating ROMs and navigating within the GE Editor, but cannot seem to replace faces.

Thank you in advance!

All of those tools were rolled into the GoldenEye Setup Editor. All you really need from the Editor is the Image Tools and Model Editor. It's a few steps but I'll list them here.

1) Set a clean GoldenEye rom as your quick convert in the preferences of the Editor.

2) Create Front, Side and possibly Back textures of your Head, and resize the images to 32x64 each

3) Open Image Tools, Add Color Image to End of ROM, add all of your images

4) Write New ROM with Changes, name it something different (example GE-MyHeadTextures.z64)

5) Open Model Editor, open your newly saved ROM, change the drop downs to Guard, and then something that follows the format CheadxxxxxZ or a guard that comes with a face and click Edit

6) Click Edit Visual, should open a window. Try not to close this window at all.

7) Right Click any part of the sunglasses > Select Triangles > Select all trianges of same texture > Right Click glasses again > Trianlge Tools > Hide Triangles (Visual Only). This hides the sunglasses

8) Go around each side of the face, right click a triangle, select all triangles of the same textures and click Replace Texture

9) Use the Dropdown on the left to change Image to one of that side of your face, it'll be towards the very bottom of the list.

10) If the face is misaligned, then when the triangles are still selected, right click > Open UV Editor and try and adjust it so it fits.

11) If all done, click Import Visual in the Edit Model window

12) Inject into ROM and Update, Save as a new ROM

Head is now in ROM.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Schwarz04
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mapping custom faces onto existing Goldeneye Characters Reply with quote Back to top

HackBond wrote:
Schwarz04 wrote:

Thank you in advance!

All of those tools were rolled into the GoldenEye Setup Editor. All you really need from the Editor is the Image Tools and Model Editor. It's a few steps but I'll list them here.

1) Set a clean GoldenEye rom as your quick convert in the preferences of the Editor.

2) Create Front, Side and possibly Back textures of your Head, and resize the images to 32x64 each

3) Open Image Tools, Add Color Image to End of ROM, add all of your images

4) Write New ROM with Changes, name it something different (example GE-MyHeadTextures.z64)

5) Open Model Editor, open your newly saved ROM, change the drop downs to Guard, and then something that follows the format CheadxxxxxZ or a guard that comes with a face and click Edit

6) Click Edit Visual, should open a window. Try not to close this window at all.

7) Right Click any part of the sunglasses > Select Triangles > Select all trianges of same texture > Right Click glasses again > Trianlge Tools > Hide Triangles (Visual Only). This hides the sunglasses

Cool Go around each side of the face, right click a triangle, select all triangles of the same textures and click Replace Texture

9) Use the Dropdown on the left to change Image to one of that side of your face, it'll be towards the very bottom of the list.

10) If the face is misaligned, then when the triangles are still selected, right click > Open UV Editor and try and adjust it so it fits.

11) If all done, click Import Visual in the Edit Model window

12) Inject into ROM and Update, Save as a new ROM

Head is now in ROM.

Wow. If it’s really this simple and it was all in front of me, than I’m pretty dumb. I’ll give it a try later today. Thank you!

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapping custom faces onto existing Goldeneye Characters Reply with quote Back to top

If you want a quicker response, feel free to join the N64Vault Discord, people are generally a lot more active there.

https://discord.gg/Ha6Us26

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is also the full tutorial as posted here http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7588

Look a few posts down but best to read V1 first, then V2 (as V2 builds on top of V1 rather than replace)

Trev

Schwarz04
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mapping custom faces onto existing Goldeneye Characters Reply with quote Back to top

HackBond wrote:
If you want a quicker response, feel free to join the N64Vault Discord, people are generally a lot more active there.

https://discord.gg/Ha6Us26

Thank you, I’ll take a look!

Schwarz04
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:
There is also the full tutorial as posted here http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7588

Look a few posts down but best to read V1 first, then V2 (as V2 builds on top of V1 rather than replace)

Trev

Hi, it seems like you’re suggesting an alternate method than the first response. If I’m understanding correctly, the first response manipulates the images you made within GE editor, and the method you’re showing uses additional programs. What are the advantages to this method?

Thank you!

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

there is no doubt it could be all done within PG, however, there are some limitations.
For one, you will NOT be able to map a full face to get matching seams (since PG will not allow textures that overrun TMEM)
So, you will have to pre-chop your face and hope you got the points in the right place for UV mapping.

The times of sticking a front and side picture together and ignoring the seams are gone, we can import correct models now and people tend to expect it.

Bad example

But, whatever floats your boat, you might want the "PerfectHead" look. Razz

Trev

Schwarz04
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:
there is no doubt it could be all done within PG, however, there are some limitations.
For one, you will NOT be able to map a full face to get matching seams (since PG will not allow textures that overrun TMEM)
So, you will have to pre-chop your face and hope you got the points in the right place for UV mapping.

The times of sticking a front and side picture together and ignoring the seams are gone, we can import correct models now and people tend to expect it.

Bad example

But, whatever floats your boat, you might want the "PerfectHead" look. Razz

Trev

HI, I'm reading though the V1 steps. There are a couple things I'm trying to clarify...

---Are the first 5 steps all in Pixelformer/Gimp?

---How/where are you getting the wireframe mesh layer?

---When/ at what point is this being brought into Lithunwrap?

Screenshot:

https://ibb.co/PtG5nxY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: