ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GLTF? [Blender character model import/export] [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSkiesPony
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: GLTF? [Blender character model import/export] [SOLVED] Reply with quote Back to top

Feature request for GoldenEye Setup Editor, modern export to GLTF/GLB or something? Main thing is that I wish to edit character models in Blender.

I've tried the built-in blender FBX import/export (the export actually might work), and the "Better FBX importer/exporter" (paid, works except the animations break).

The test I've been doing is export from GE edit, import into Blender via some means (maybe even converting to GLTF via a tool first), then export via either FBX plugin.

Collada import/export doesnt seem to work either.

I installed Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 but thats from like ... 2009 ? Is there a recommended character modding process? If not ... please add GLTF or something newer than FBX...

Last edited by NightSkiesPony on Fri May 06, 2022 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

NightSkiesPony
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: last ditch Reply with quote Back to top

I have a theory that the only reason the blender FBX export doesn't work is because when you edit the mesh parts of the character, they morph and mangle wierdly. I have a theory that if i rig the model from scratch, perhaps it will work. I have a blender character modeling tutorial that says this will work...

The only thing that doesn't work about the exported blender FBX file (using the builtin export) is that the area between the hips are squashed to one point.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to specifically request something for the Setup Editor, I recommend posting it in this thread for the best visibility.

What specifically are you trying to do? I've found .dae only really works when I was exporting animations from the Editor, which once you import that, hit play to reset bones, delete keyframes and clear transform > rotation on the bones will give you a reference pose for animations. Never been able to edit the mesh that comes with it when I export from the editor.

Also I work on 2.79 mostly to avoid .fbx

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Really we could do with completing the GEObj importer/exporter, but I've been unable to do so.

NightSkiesPony
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: GE Reply with quote Back to top

Is the GE Object import/export all that useful for characters? I inherently avoided it because it is for Obj, which is no good for characters and animations.

I have some observations based on tooling around last night ...

My basic test of the process was to do this with a character:
* GE Export to FBX -> import to blender somehow -> export to GE as FBX or something else that works
* Verify that the character model and animations work

Couldn't get this quite working perfectly yet:

* With "Better FBX Importer/Exporter" ($28 blender plugin): Characters import and export if you have the right settings, but all animations will break on import.
* Also tried command line tool GLTF to FBX (then import via blender fbx), but it didnt import properly (all hip and leg points compressed to a single point at 0,0,0). Not useable.
* Built-in blender plugin: Can't import FBX Ascii, and it results in an error if you use Autodesk FBX Converter. If I import with the Better FBX Importer/Exporter, then Export using Blender FBX plugin, it exports the model and animations do not break, BUT all the hip and leg points are compressed to a single point for some reason.
* Online conversion tools always result in an error
* Collada DAE import of the model results in all bones at the center for some reason. Not useable at all.

* Closest thing to working character modding: Following guidance from the Blender Character Modding tutorial posted in n64vault (or was it here?): (something like this)
1. Import the model via better fbx import
2. Apply the armature deform permanently. Ensure when you press tab to edit the mesh, they are the same.
3. Apply the armature deform to each part again (I may have used a skeleton copy because sometimes this causes it to deform again).
4. Export using Blender FBX export.
5. You must remake any animation involved with this. If you're doing a new character, then this is a non issue.

I really wish collada import worked for models, it works fine for the animations. Its really a matter of the bone positions being wrong on import.

Also I think the reason the animations break on re-import is that the bones are expected to be translated from 0,0,0 initially. In blender you can see the "Rest pose" is all bones at 0,0,0. When you reimport after re-rigging the rest pose must go to the H position, so all animations are wildly off as a result.

NightSkiesPony
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: more info on the wierdness Reply with quote Back to top

On importing FBX with "Better FBX importer/exporter" animations break ... observations:

I think there is something going on with why animations break. If I take a GE character, apply the armature deform, then re-apply the deformer, the mesh part often moves. For some reason the "rest pose" of the armature is all the bone points in the center of the model, and this causes them to mangle wierdly into a little + shaped character. I believe this is the base mesh structure, and when you apply the bone deforms to it, it unfolds into the real character.
Now when you *undo* that base mesh structure and instead make a nice H pose with the bones applied to it, the animations all break because it acts like each bone started at 0,0,0 and was moved to the current positions. You end up with the animated arms nad legs stretched out wierdly.

Any idea why this kind of thing happens, and how to avoid it? I'm not sure how to make the "rest pose" all the bones at 0,0,0 again. If I could do that, I'm sure the animations on existing characters would not break.

NightSkiesPony
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

just fyi having a bit of a convo over in the feature request thread

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=75517#75517

NightSkiesPony
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Final process has been worked out thanks to people and MRKane

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=75520#75520

export from model editor as dae -> better fbx import -> some tweaks in the above guide -> better fbx export -> import, and all animations are no longer broken!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: