ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

**SUBDRAG, WRECK, CARNIVOROUS, ZOINKITY** EVERYONE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: **SUBDRAG, WRECK, CARNIVOROUS, ZOINKITY** EVERYONE Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings old friends! I had the owner of ****** (PM ME for the site and links) reach out to me to discuss what everyone would like to see make it into his hardware enhancements for N64 cartridges and expansion packs of our mods!

Had about an hour discussion with him of the history of gameshark hacking and where all of this began up to now being able to control almost every aspect of both games. Smile

He was explaining to me he is developing improvements to the original hardware and making the catridges more independently able to handle game saves and other things along with the expansion pack. A lot of our mods have been hard coded into the original cartridges like they already existed as normal games! On top of that improvements have been made how well they work in the normal system.

Below is a list of objectives he discussed and asked us what we would like to see. I mentioned I would really love to see his LAN NETWORK idea via using the controller 4 port to connect to other N64 systems like a lan network! xD

Here is the list.... Please comment away! MultiX

Greetings,

Was great speaking to you many thanks for the call. It is really interesting work you and others are doing. A lot worth noting and realizing how far this can continue to go.

Just wanted re-cap a little bit as a lot was discussed.

Sure, I can look at making a profile on ShootersForever and put a few posting about these project's ideas. Just note I normally keep a low profile, but will try to get out a little more.

PROJECTS:
1. Game Shark Restore. I noticed how twitchy the Gameshark can be. I currently used it to program the game save on products I sell. Very handy. I also did detail tests with my own reproduction dump, hex-compare to make sure up to snuff. The idea I had is if you guys make a killer firmware, for players, and advanced users, I can design a full new high-quality PCB design, and I'll recycle the original custom Gameshark chips and shells, and restore them. it is not super cheap when done as the cost of donor game sharks. Yet, later Gameshark has core chips and easily get missing parts like parrel port, etc.

2. Use Control 4 as a Data line to another N64 or Hub. If each N64 can focus on graphics for one screen and link up multiple N64s for multiplay. The data line pin 2 I think for N64 controllers should be able to talk to another N64 and maybe if lucky can work in a hub. I like to keep it simple. The Pokemon Snap machine kind of does this using Controler port four as a data line for the image station. I am working on something else with donor N64 controllers to recycle the custom logic chip in the controller's tool, but be nice if cust direct data line from port four, no complex circuitry is needed.

3. 12MB Expansion Pack. Total of 16MB of Ram. I am pretty sure the N64 bios can go to a total of 16MB. Yet this has to be verified. I found original memory chips in china as Nintendo overproduced them. I have to check if still the case or gets into donor N64s. The board I would make be on one pure copper heatsink that also doubles for mechanical fit. yet, will likely stick up the N64 front.

4. Remove save chip from GE 007 or Perfect Dark. If you can remove the need for a save chip I can lower the price from $5-$10. These save chips also go fast at my end. I only use original save chips and CIC chips.

OTHER STUFF:
1. The chip shortage is pretty bad and I have to make some hard decisions for the future with my stuff. After done with VB, I'll look at what can do for high-capacity N64 games. The smaller games are easy to keep in production and cheap to buy. The large capacity game/rom chip issues I got good stock for everything else.

2. The listing of N64 games I know its outdated, as I tiring up VB and going to redo the full N64 listing library. GE mods are not super popular, but they do sell here and there. One collector purchased each GE Mod.

3. Me and the team not making some freebies/samples for you guys, can simply make an order for $1 and put in checkout notes what like. The next N64 building cycle should be this weekend. If want 1 to 3. Just list them in checkout notes.

4. Games/Roms Programmed for Everdrives Only. This kind of hurts how to focus on Everdrives over actually original hardware. If we make things more standard and open feel it helps everyone out long term.

I much appreciated you putting a good word out for me and the team. Many of us see the big names again and again, but always wondered more who are the people behind the name. Like SubDrag, Wreck, & Zonkidy.

Sorry about the long email.

All the best,

******protected*****

***PLEASE PM ME FOR LINKS TO THE SITE AND IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONNECT DIRECTLY WITH HIM. HE IS A SUPER NICE GUY WITH ADVANCED RESOURCES AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE OF THE ENTIRE INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE HARDWARE THAT MAKES ALL OF THIS WORK!!*** MULTI

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
1. Game Shark Restore. I noticed how twitchy the Gameshark can be. I currently used it to program the game save on products I sell. Very handy. I also did detail tests with my own reproduction dump, hex-compare to make sure up to snuff. The idea I had is if you guys make a killer firmware, for players, and advanced users, I can design a full new high-quality PCB design, and I'll recycle the original custom Gameshark chips and shells, and restore them. it is not super cheap when done as the cost of donor game sharks. Yet, later Gameshark has core chips and easily get missing parts like parrel port, etc.

Most flash carts already have support for Gameshark codes
-------------------------------------

Quote:
2. Use Control 4 as a Data line to another N64 or Hub. If each N64 can focus on graphics for one screen and link up multiple N64s for multiplay. The data line pin 2 I think for N64 controllers should be able to talk to another N64 and maybe if lucky can work in a hub. I like to keep it simple. The Pokemon Snap machine kind of does this using Controler port four as a data line for the image station. I am working on something else with donor N64 controllers to recycle the custom logic chip in the controller's tool, but be nice if cust direct data line from port four, no complex circuitry is needed.

This is already being thought upon using a USB port on a flash cart and the decompilation of Goldeneye 64.

Quote:
3. 12MB Expansion Pack. Total of 16MB of Ram. I am pretty sure the N64 bios can go to a total of 16MB. Yet this has to be verified. I found original memory chips in china as Nintendo overproduced them. I have to check if still the case or gets into donor N64s. The board I would make be on one pure copper heatsink that also doubles for mechanical fit. yet, will likely stick up the N64 front.

As much as this would be nice, it would diverge the community further as then everyone would need to get this ram expansion to play the patches on hardware

Quote:
4. Games/Roms Programmed for Everdrives Only. This kind of hurts how to focus on Everdrives over actually original hardware. If we make things more standard and open feel it helps everyone out long term.

What's wrong with an Everdrive? As far as I know Flash carts are the only way to test on hardware outside of printing a cart yourself somehow. I remember there being a way to upload via parallel port on a gameshark but I doubt most people have a working version of that and the parallel port is long gone from PCs today.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ard

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So shall the Zoinkity finish his Never Say Never Again mod..?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
This is already being thought upon using a USB port on a flash cart and the decompilation of Goldeneye 64.

SICKNESS! I can pass the info to him. He is upgrading all the hardware with chip and board enhancements to push rom emulation more accurately through the n64 console Razz

I'll run any comments you guys have by him Multi

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love seeing people take mods I've worked hard on, slap them on a cartridge, and sell them to others online - especially without asking if I am cool with it or not. I will tell anyone to buy a good flash cart (like EverDrive 64), as it is a far better investment. Is this tech stuff neat? Sure. I am not so sure how more RAM will really help GE, though.

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Judging by those photos you posted, if it's the site I'm thinking of...

They have quite a few mods up there where they never asked the creator for permission, and also took commissions and sold them without the knowledge of the creator too.
Few examples are the mods by Wreck, the Mario mod by StupidMarioBros1Fan, and Casey's Edition - this last one which was sent to them to do a few copies for their friends and themselves, not to be put up for sale.

I think it's a common thing between all the GE and PD modders that we're all against people selling our mods. Flash carts are there for a reason, and if you want to burn a cartridge you're free to do so by yourself, not helping someone else profit from the work of others.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Forgive me for being bold but... Reply with quote Back to top

It's interesting after all these years some of you are still stuck in this delusion of *ownership* What we do has never been by permission of any of these entities. We don't hold licenses or any rights to any of these games so when you say *PERMISSION* to use content please forgive me for rolling my eyes and saying "okay guys if you say so"

I think the idea here is getting your mod on the hardware side of things and that comes with an *expense* for parts and labor.
It honestly has no relevance to the modding itself.

Gras you know I love ya along with Wreckster but it's getting kind of old holding on to rights none of us really have Wink

Hope everyone is in good health and families are well,
Multi

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So because we don't have the rights to the original game, it is okay for anyone to take our work and profit for it? No, it definitely isn't okay.

First, it puts the whole modding community at risk. As you said we do not have the rights, and if the proper right holders think we're making money out of it say goodbye to all the history of GE modding.

Secondly, it's basically a scam. They're making people pay $35 for a mod that includes *only* a single level that may not even work correctly on real hardware i.e. Shipyard. They mention on their website how this is a simpler process for people that don't want to learn or don't want to spend hundreds on a Flash Cart... Well breaking news - it is infinitely more expensive to pay for these than to get a single EverDrive-64 that is able to play all GE mods and N64 games in existence, including updates and complete freedom. Not to mention that the process to get mods on N64 is really simple and literally consists of 5 steps at most.

Thirdly, did you miss the part where I said they outright put things up for sale when it was meant to be a private commission for a few friends? Many of these mods outright tells people to not sell their work and here we are, just because this one isn't set in China doesn't make it okay.

Nobody in the GE modding community, and I can assure you this is also the case on other modding communities, wants their hard work being sold for profit by someone that has absolutely no relation to them. This isn't a thing of "delusion of ownership", this is called having principles.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

first
Quote:

Piss off, we did that for a reason.
A flashcard like the ED or 64Drive is multiuse and when you buy one you are buying hardware only.
These carts have software on then and are forgeries that Nintendo themselves will not like never mind the fact that modders have done work for free and some people are making money.
tell you guy to make re-writeable carts and then we can talk, but stop selling software that isn't his (or ours) to sell.

Quote:

Been tried and it didn't seem to work - however, I am all in favour of "Expanded Expansion paks" if it can be made to work.
they would need to work like the current expansion pak in that games that don't use the extra ram are not confused by it (I believe most of this is handled by software, but I may be missing some hardware details)

Quote:

2. Use Control 4 as a Data line to another N64 or Hub. If each N64 can focus on graphics for one screen and link up multiple N64s for multiplay. The data line pin 2 I think for N64 controllers should be able to talk to another N64 and maybe if lucky can work in a hub. I like to keep it simple. The Pokemon Snap machine kind of does this using Controller port four as a data line for the image station. I am working on something else with donor N64 controllers to recycle the custom logic chip in the controller's tool, but be nice if cust direct data line from port four, no complex circuitry is needed.

Decomp may do something like this, but not sure what he is offering here? cables?

lastly, I agree with Graslu almost wholly with an exception regarding "scam" Mods are a "scam" in this sense especially when many are beta or unfinished - however new titles that someone wants to legitimately sell are not a scam and that's where these carts come in, the problem is that these are few and far between and so they make money by selling mods - and they must make money otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Trev

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:

lastly, I agree with Graslu almost wholly with an exception regarding "scam" Mods are a "scam" in this sense especially when many are beta or unfinished - however new titles that someone wants to legitimately sell are not a scam and that's where these carts come in, the problem is that these are few and far between and so they make money by selling mods - and they must make money otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Yes, definitely not a "scam" by definition, but I find their choice of words saying their solution is cheaper to be misleading, specially when as you said, they don't mention if the product they're selling is final, uncomplete, or a single level. I've seen people sell The Spy Who Loved Me 64 demo which consisted of... 3 levels? As a full game on Etsy.

It's also worth mentioning that yeah it is true we do not own the rights of the games, but we do own our own work. Why do you think developers can't just steal things from mods and add them to their own game?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll probably just echo some of what has already been said, but here goes...

I don't consider myself to be the "owner" of any of the mods I have put out. I also don't expect someone to ask me for "permission" to take any of the work I have done and start selling it. However, I do think a little bit of respect toward me from that person, simply asking if I'd have no problem with them doing so, would be nice. If I say no, will it stop them? Doubtfully. Can I do anything about it? No.

Now, just cause I don't personally own anything, doesn't mean that someone else does not. Why do you think we release mods in patch form for free? Because Nintendo, Rare, and other entities tied to the James Bond character and franchise, could all claim some copyright to the engine, music, assets, likenesses, etc. Making more off of sales, even if extremely minimal, is profiting from others owned materials. You can't tell me any of these guys selling carts are doing it as a hobby, or to spread the word about mods, completely at cost. Even if it is five extra dollars in their pocket.

Any of these copyright holders could come after the seller, should they choose to. And that would possibly also drag the mod creator into things, whether or not they were linked to the seller. That, in turn, can affect the community as a whole, and a larger target now in sight. We've tried to protect ourselves from legal issues since day one. These people put us at risk.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Okay Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a bad idea then He did offer if anyone wants some carts at a cheap price for like a $1 for personal use and collection purposes.

Speaking with him first hand he is not attempting to scam anyone and says he sells very little. It's mainly for fans and people wanting more solid direct hardware, etc.

No worries!

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to find the "magic sauce" necessary to get a better FPS out of the N64. Haven't quite managed to do it without shortcomings yet however.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Compatibility Reply with quote Back to top

He did mention way better mod compatibility and functionality. His board and chip upgrades are improvements on handling the data Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: