ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Switch and Xbox versions announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Switch and Xbox versions announced Reply with quote Back to top

So we now know that GoldenEye will be seeing a release for the Nintendo Switch (as part of the NSO service), as well as Xbox (which is offered free to those who own Rare Replay, or can be purchased by itsef). There is still more to learn, especially dates, but here is some info...

The Switch version will be emulated, and support online multiplayer. Thankfully there is the Switch N64 controller you can use, so the controls should be decent. If you can track one down for a good price.

Xbox obviously couldn't use the same emulation, as that would be Nintendo property, so they had to "rebuild" the game. They are claiming this will offer a smoother frame rate and 4K visuals. But... no online MP? Big loss for them.

Do note that the XBLA remaster leak is not part of this deal. Could maybe some day we see that one finished, or another made? At least seeing this cooperation, it is a possibility. See you in another 25 years. Wink

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fun facts: The trailer teased on Twitter used my HD restores for the music.
To avoid licensing issues Robin Beanland had redone the whole OST, but I believe licensing issues were since cleared up, so my expectation (not confirmed, just what I believe) is that they will be using the original music.

L. Spiro

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've heard that the Switch multiplayer is with friends or local only. I just bought a switch, but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for GE if there's no matchmaking...

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, it's definitely part of the NSO expansion pass? Because the alternative is it somehow being a separate product using the same technology. I haven't seen anyone complain about the expansion pass yet, so that's why it makes me wonder if people don't know about the pass or if the game's actually separate.

StupidMarioBros1Fan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's part of the paid Nintendo Switch Online Service, specifically the "Expansion Pack" version where you get access to N64 Games for double the price.
Monthly/Yearly Subscription service, the included Retro Games are not offered individually so you won't have to worry about paying extra to play GoldenEye online...at the cost of never actually owning it. Retro Games can be played offline but I'm pretty sure you'll lose access if you stop paying for the service so I don't recommend getting it just to play GoldenEye on Switch.

Was really hoping for the XBLA version or possibly a new Remake since XBLA is now older than the Original was at the time of XBLA's development. While disappointing, still great that we're getting a rerelease in general as it opens the door to possibly more 007 games getting rereleased or maybe something more with GoldenEye in general...although considering that the Xbox version isn't getting online maybe the negations were too complicated and this is the best we'll get.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: