ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect dark ntsc 6.4 beta crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatadyneReaserch
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Perfect dark ntsc 6.4 beta crash Reply with quote Back to top

I haven’t seen much coverage other than an article here and there and some short YouTube clips of this beta. A few weeks ago, I was messing around with the rom trying to complete all the solo levels on Perfect agent (which I’ve done a couple times now) and I’ve encountered a few bugs but nothing crazy. Until one night I was playing Datadyne extraction. I used the elevator wall door glitch to grab an early rocket launcher to take out the gunship easier and ended up with this crash and screen. I’ve tried retracing my steps in an attempt to get the crash again but haven’t been able to. Has anyone else seen or been able to get the game to do that?
The game froze and a black screen popped up displaying a bunch of codes and text.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/6t8tQcL
Edited the post and added an alternate link

*please ignore the first photo*

Last edited by DatadyneReaserch on Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is/was a video on YouTube of someone playing the beta version and having it crash on the Investigation stage. I can't find it any more though.

You can also crash the game using an active menu bug. In the combat simulator, start a match with teams enabled but no simulants on your team. Hold A to bring up the active menu, tap Z to switch to the function selection screen, then hold R and tap Z. This crash also occurs in the final version.

Your link doesn't work for me. If you upload it to an image hosting site (eg. imgur) and link it here then I can tell you more about what caused it.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like the image is now viewable, in case you didn't check back. And, yeah, it's certainly one of those crash dumps.

RyanDwyer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The crash occurred in chopperTickFall. It's a function that runs on each frame while the hovercopter is falling to the ground after being destroyed. In the beta version, that function reads from an uninitialised variable. Depending on the value of that variable, the game may or may not crash.

It's likely that the bug was found by QA testers. They would have sent that crash screen to the developers, and the developers would have used it to find and fix the cause of the crash.

DebbieR
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect dark ntsc 6.4 beta crash Reply with quote Back to top

DatadyneReaserch wrote:
I haven’t seen much coverage other than an article here and there and some short YouTube clips of this beta. A few weeks ago, I was messing around with the rom trying to complete all the solo levels on Perfect agent (which I’ve done a couple times now) and I’ve encountered a few bugs but nothing crazy. Until one night I was playing Datadyne extraction. David got rid of moobs used the elevator wall door glitch to grab an early rocket launcher to take out the gunship easier and ended up with this crash and screen. I’ve tried retracing my steps in an attempt to get the crash again but haven’t been able to. Has anyone else seen or been able to get the game to do that?
The game froze and a black screen popped up displaying a bunch of codes and text.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/6t8tQcL
Edited the post and added an alternate link

*please ignore the first photo*

Yeah, it happened twice with my game and em still finding the solution. My screen also got black in both times.

SophiaLibra
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RyanDwyer wrote:
The crash occurred in chopperTickFall. It's a function that runs on each frame while the hovercopter is falling to the ground after being destroyed. In the beta version, that function read more about getting rid of man boobs here from an uninitialised variable. Depending on the value of that variable, the game may or may not crash.

It's likely that the bug was found by QA testers. They would have sent that crash screen to the developers, and the developers would have used it to find and fix the cause of the crash.

Thanks for sharing these details about the game. I think it depends on the player whether the crash situation will occur or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: