ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark v1.0 glitches/ghost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatadyneReaserch
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Perfect Dark v1.0 glitches/ghost Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all! Pretty new to the forums. But I wanted to start off by saying I’ve been playing PD/Goldeneye since before I even started elementary school. 26 now and still love it. And I’m always finding new things in pd/goldeneye. For my entire life I’ve been playing PD on cart 1.1. Recently I’ve obtained a copy of the 1.0 release, in search of the infamous “Ghost”.

Since starting my play through on 1.0 I’ve noticed a few changes, and maybe it’s all down to luck. But I’d like to start listing some of the few oddities I’ve noticed.

1st one: I’ve noticed that since playing campaign, a lot of guards have spawned in behind me more so than usual compared to my countless other playthroughs. Again my experience has only been using the 1.2 cart or xbla version.

2nd: I’ve noticed when playing crash sight, I hear random sounds such as cloaking device sounds and sheild sounds (sond of taking damage) near the escape pod.

3rd: this is also in crash sight, but I noticed that I got a Janus guard on my first play through on PA. Though I killed him as I didn’t release it was one until after I killed the guard (mr blond guard in caves by presidential clone) I Aimed in, shot him in the head and noticed the reticle turned blue (indicating it was a friendly npc)

4th: another crash sight occurrence. After retiring the presidential clone from above I went down into the caves to clear out the remaining mr blond guards. Sniped one, and I noticed the other was running after me but then took a sharp turn down another pathway. While this isn’t particularly interesting on its own, considering guard ai gets confused pretty frequently in large levels. But I sat waiting with my sniper rifle out, waiting for the guard to pop back into view. Nothing. So I decided to make my way further into the caves. I noticed flashing lights every few seconds (which tells me maybe a guard is trying to shoot me through a wall) but I moved around trying to see if it would stop. It wouldn’t. Just kept seeing the gun illuminate the caves over and over. Do I decided to walk around to the back to see if maybe the guard was stuck or something. As I approached the area where another guard would normally be standing, I saw the guard that was repeatedly shooting, it wasn’t at the wall. The guard was continuously firing his k7 at a dead mr blond guard. Mind you this had been going on for at least 5 minutes in total. He just kept shooting at the dead body. I thought maybe this was another Janus guard. But after aiming at the dead body the reticle was coming up as red. Same with the guard that was shooting the dead body, still red reticle. Has anyone ever seen anything like that? It was honestly kindof eerie.

5th: Lokking for a ghost:
So after watching Gooses gaming folklore episode on YouTube regarding the “Chicago ghost” I became interested in trying to find one myself.
So I went into combat simulator. Completed challenge 1-20. The created my own custom setup using mostly cloaking devices and crossbows.
I then went ahead and loaded up Chicago stealth on just a regular agent difficulty setting.

The level played out as normal. But when I went down to the pond punk,
I noticed that after I called the guards near the entrance, a spray of cmp150 bullet came THROUGH the normally locked door which I have never seen before. The guard came to the door, I had to shoot his legs to kill him to allow the door to fully open. Made my way inside the bar and had a look around. Nothing. So I went to the bathroom, nothing. But when I made my way back to the main area I noticed a guard had spawned. But it was weird. The guard acted as if he couldn’t see me. Another strange thing, he had no weapons.
I wanted to carefully check out this guard so I crouched and went behind the guard to have a look at his hands to verify that he was infact un armed. He was. But as I got a wee bit closer the guard threw his hands up in the air as if I had taken him hostage. Stared at him for a second, went back to the bathroom area to see if anything else weird had happened, nothing. And when I came back to the main area the guard had disappeared (de spawned, as surrendering guards sometimes do)

So while not a ghost, still a bit eerie and strange. Anyone have any experiences similar to this?

I have a weekend coming up and I will definitely be doing some more poking around and digging to see what other strange occurrences might happen on the 1.0 cart.

Again these experiences I’ve listed are all specifically from the 1.0 version of the game, and I’ve never seen those things before in all my years of playing the game. again, could be luck, or maybe the 1.0 cart really does have some strange things going on inside it’s code. I dunno just thought I’d share as I’m sure some might find this interesting/entertaining

-Peace

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In crash site if you shoot the first guard in the ice-tunnel in the foot with the snipers rifle from a distance where you can just see his foot then he'll switch to being a friendly.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure on all what was changed between versions (decomp will help with that), but I am pretty sure the only level setup file to be altered was Crash Site, just to fix Trent not appearing in the end cutscene when viewed from the Cinema menu. Other updates were to help with some memory issues, such as a Combat Simulator level (Base?) that could encounter crashing.

DatadyneReaserch
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
In crash site if you shoot the first guard in the ice-tunnel in the foot with the snipers rifle from a distance where you can just see his foot then he'll switch to being a friendly.

Is it limited to shooting just one guard or is it just as long as you wound that first guard in the tunnel? Because when I killed the clone, I tossed a remote mine at his body from the ledge and killed an additional 3 guards before going down into the tunnel.

DatadyneReaserch
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'm not sure on all what was changed between versions (decomp will help with that), but I am pretty sure the only level setup file to be altered was Crash Site, just to fix Trent not appearing in the end cutscene when viewed from the Cinema menu. Other updates were to help with some memory issues, such as a Combat Simulator level (Base?) that could encounter crashing.

Right yeah that’s what I’ve seen/heard. But there was a quote from one of the devs who stated that specific memory issue *could* potentially re write some code(temporarily) kindof like some wacky arbitrary code execution. So while it’s not concrete evidence or anything, it’s interesting to know that due to the bug, there could potentially be some other wacky happenings should that bug end up being executed. Or do I have that all wrong?

But have you ever seen a guard just endlessly dump rounds into a dead body non stop? I’m not saying it’s specifically because I was using the 1.0 rom. But I’m my 15 or so years of playing the game I’ve never ever seen that. Unless that dead body is you haha.

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

I believe it was Warehouse, not Base.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds right. Honestly, I'm not fond of PD's multiplayer levels enough to remember the difference, at least with those two. Many do have something unique about them, be it texture scheme or landmarks, but I've only ever liked a couple.

It is certainly possible changes to code / memory management could affect things with the AI, beyond what the level setup files contain.

MusicianLeo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DatadyneReaserch wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Right yeah that’s what I’ve seen/heard. But there was a quote from one of the devs who stated that specific memory issue *could* potentially re write some code(temporarily) kindof like some wacky arbitrary code execution. So while it’s not concrete evidence or anything, it’s interesting to know that due to the bug, there could potentially be some other wacky happenings should that bug end up being try this best fat burner for men executed. Or do I have that all wrong?

But have you ever seen a guard just endlessly dump rounds into a dead body non stop? I’m not saying it’s specifically because I was using the 1.0 rom. But I’m my 15 or so years of playing the game I’ve never ever seen that. Unless that dead body is you haha.

Lol, you pointed a right thing and I also never seen this in my 10 years of playing the game.

Last edited by MusicianLeo on Thu May 25, 2023 2:52 am; edited 2 times in total

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The combat simulator bug was Warehouse, and it was much worse than just that. The crash also caused save file corruption that permalocked you in the menus. Don't believe there was an in-game way to reset it (limited menus worked); eeprom had to be erased externally.

If you reported the problem to NOA they'd have you trade the game to them for a free v1.1 replacement. Quite a few games had replacement programs nobody was conveniently aware of ;*)

There was a loose bit of clipping in Skedar MP near a doorframe you could slide out of, not sure if that was patched until v1.2.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do recall Ruins CS having a clipping issue near a door, but v1.2? Is that really even a thing? This is the first time I think I've ever seen it mentioned anywhere.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I do recall Ruins CS having a clipping issue near a door, but v1.2? Is that really even a thing? This is the first time I think I've ever seen it mentioned anywhere.

From my small bit of Google fu, 1.2 is the Japanese version

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

...Crash Site MP was a mod wasn't it? Okay, v1.2 is not official and been playing it too long. Should have checked the list of gameIDs before posting.
Safe to say the Skedar clipping bug wasn't patched by Rare then.

The Warehouse bug only applies to v1.0 USA. v1.0 J & PAL are both uaffected and neither received a bugfix.

Does the eeprom portion of that bug still occur on emulators? It's shocking what emulators can live through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: