ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Graphics errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Graphics errors Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a limit to the number of objects I can put into one room? Since I've added a bench and a few objects on top of it, I've been increasingly getting graphics errors (not literally an error message, but messed up images).

Here is an example....(the white blotchy thing you see is what is supposed to be my sight - and you'll see that some of my monitor images are messed up too).

If I remove a few items from the room then things run better.

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I get that alot. The other common symptom is your gun goes fruity colors on you. Its actually kinda strange, but I think it occurs when there is too much graphically filling up the level, but im not really sure. I know I have gotten to the point modding Frigate that I cant load a helicopter pilot because its too much to put in a level with so many textures already loaded, theres not enough memory. However, these glitches arn't as obvious, because I have made changes to setups and have had the glitch one minute and not the next change.

I don't think there is an actual limit, just a memory limit, the more you put in, the more its likely to do that. If you put in more, the level wont load at all. I wish there was some kind of solution for this though, since alot of my modded levels have turned out to that - and I think its the reason I cant put Heli pilots in Frigate.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: re: errors Reply with quote Back to top

I'm wondering though - is it a level limit, or a room limit?

If its a level limit, this library mission is gonna come to a screeching hault Exclamation

If its a room limit, sacrifices can be made.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag and I were actually talking about this earlier. KCGhost has been trying to make modifications based off of Beta screenshots and stories from the Frigate mission. When he tried to replace a character with either Xenia or a Helicopter Pilot, the stage refused to load. This is due to there being too many models and textures opened up in the memory. There's only so much room allotted for all of that stuff. Once it runs out, it ends up crashing. It's a big reason as to why some multiplayer maps don't run in 4-Player mode, as well as there being so many rooms loaded in at once. Your Library project came up and we were concerned about this kind of thing happening. Because you have a large amount of various different models in use, your space is running short. This is why you'll notice the same characters and monitor images are overused in each mission. You've been lucky so far, because the Library doesn't need much for textures. There's only a handful of them, which won't hog up a lot of memory. But since you've populated the map with a wide variety of objects, it's taking up quite a bit. This is without even having any characters plopped in there, too. I know it sucks, but it's very possible that you'll need to cut back on some of the objects. It isn't really how many you have, it's how many different models there are. Jungle has well over three hundred, but most of them are the same six or seven objects used over and over.

But, this could also be related to an error you may have made. In Surface i, I made a tank out of a book once. Because the tank requires a larger block of data than a standard object, it ran into the following object. This caused exactly the same effect to the crosshair and other images. It's possible that one or more of your props is directly responsible for this problem.

Let's hope it is the latter.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately you have too many different models. You're limited to very few sadly (actually it's the textures from the models) Sad I'm not sure we ever found a way to increase the buffer size for textures, but it's something we should look into. I was concerned about this for your level, but hoping you'd be ok. I had the same problem in Runway and had to cut down on the number of objects.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: