ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Top Tens in PD...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Top Tens in PD... Reply with quote Back to top

Top Ten Most Hated
#01: Vision distortion. There's nothing I hate more than the blurring effect that occurs when you're hit with certain weapons. It's absolutely ridiculous and I hate it with a passion. What's even worse is that you're still plagued by this after you respawn. It just plain sucks.
#02: Disarming. This little charmer comes giftwrapped in a bundle. Not only do you lose your weapon, but the screen goes blurry, too. Yay! It's a great concept and is fun in missions, but the Simulants use it far too often in Combat Simulator. They'll be eight feet away, punch the gun out of your hand, pick it up, then shoot you to death. Three cheers for theft.
#03: N-Bomb. Combine the first two and you end up with this chap. First you lose your weapon, then you lose your vision, then you lose your health. And boy, does your health ever deplete with this sucker. I will say that it looks and sounds cool, even though I despise what it does.
#04: Enemy accuracy. Is it just me, or does it seem as though these guys have had some serious target practice sessions since GoldenEye? One single person can reduce your health to almost empty in a matter of seconds. They take aim, lock on and fire. The Janus Syndicate and Russia Military should be ashamed of themselves after seeing the dataDyne guards and Skedar in action.
#05: Grimshaw. I don't know why I don't have him as number one. The only Carrington Institute hacker is a total dweeb. He has the most annoying voice of anyone. Rare did this on purpose to mock us. Without the people who've spent countless hours hacking their games, how many of those titles would still be discussed so frequently? The Banjo-Kazooie series and GoldenEye are two perfect examples.
#06: Dr. Caroll. This whiny sapient should have his wires crossed. It's as though dataDyne installed the '@554073.exe' program on him during initial design. I'd like to give him a reboot up his...
#07: FarSight XR-20. Great, now my opponent's don't even have to see me to kill me. They can just aim through a wall from the other end of the map and fire. What a wonderful alien invention. Not.
#08: No mission maps in Combat Simulator. Why is this? Rare included five of the mission stages in GoldenEye's multiplayer, with an extra two the were finished and not accessible in the final game. Instead, we are offered weak 'arena' versions of them. The dD Central building or Carrington Institute would have rocked in ComSim, but they didn't think so. Most of the maps they made are crap, so why not use the good ones from story mode?
#09: No GE weapons in Combat Simulator. This is a no brainer. It would have been nice to play in one of the Classic arenas with classic weapons. Talk about legal issues all you want to, but the damned guns are still in the game. They are even available in the missions as cheat options.
#10: Enemy reloading. It's neat when they actually do it. What isn't so cool is when they stand and fire sixty rounds from a CMP150 without taking a single break, then begin shooting again immediately after. If I need to reload so much, so should they. Cheaters.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Saberier
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

#11: Single-Player Level Design. I remember in GoldenEye that the excellent level design was fun and straightforward with plenty of action. Perfect Dark's level design relies too much on backtracking and being long aswell as being complex. I don't like having to run around with no one to kill looking for an objective to complete. I also dislike dying at the end of a long mission like Area 51 Rescue just to do all the complex stuff again.

GE/PD rules!!!

Galbadia Hotel for all your video game music needs: http://gh.ffshrine.org/?r=16600

PerfectSim
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

#12:The reward for completing ALL challenges:Nothing like spending all that time completing every single challenge and getting the lazer and the x ray scanner.At least the laser in goldeneye you carried like a gun.I thought maybe one last goldeneye multi level like the bunker.Not saying there bad just thought it should have been more.

cactus
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cassandra isn't on the list, good.

Because Cassandra has a tough life, said by Rare, which made her infuriating and annoying. And she died at the end.

#13: Combat Knifes
(Sims have it...Puts on the blade slash function quickly better than a human could..and...INSTANT KILL..)
I found it out when I was studying Sims a long time ago. This what makes any leveled Sim so dangerous with Combat Knifes. MeatSims are also a worthy adversary with Combat Knifes. Cheaters even when they have low difficulty.

Maxout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

0: Game Customization
The ability to turn all these things off that was beyond the ability at the time I guess. Don't partonize the fans and give them the power to turn off and on all features.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Fear the Darkness
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the Farsight gun I definitely don't like. I used to when I was younger, but that weapon is so cheap. It is a one hit kill weapon, you can shoot through walls and it has an X-ray zoom so you can zoom in on enemies through ten walls if you need to. as if that wasn't bad enough, the 2nd function is an auto target ability and it will automatically find the nearest enemy and track him. sure it doesn't move as fast as a target can run but that doesn't mean much. the DY357-LX is almost as bad. at least the Farsight has about a 3 second lag between shots, the LX can get off a shot in about a second, and you can carry two. sucks.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting post there. My thoughts:

#01: Vision distortion

I like this feature a lot, but I do think it should have had a disable option. Actually, it should have had three settings - ON, OFF and UNTIL DEATH. On would make it the way it is now, off means no blurring at all, and UNTIL DEATH means that when you die it stops. I can understand Rare making it continue past death, as otherwise people would kill themselves to get rid of it, but I think that was a mistake, at least insofar as it's the only setting available.

#02: Disarming.

No complaints at all. I love this feature, though perhaps it should have been switchable from the options (in multiplayer), as some people might not like it.

#03: N-Bomb.

Fair enough, but if you don't like it, then don't use it. Rare allows us to choose what weapons to use, so we don't have to use the weapons we dislike.

#04: Enemy accuracy

I prefer their increased accuracy. I just wish the multiplayer sims would have the same accuracy with the shotgun (the only gun they can't use properly, and it must be a bug, as in single player mode the computer A.I. is deadly with it).

#05: Grimshaw

I detest his voice too.

#06: Dr. Caroll.

Yes, very annoying.

#07: FarSight XR-20

Like #03: N-Bomb, if you don't like it, don't use it.

#08: No mission maps in Combat Simulator.

Couldn't agree more. The Carrington Institute looks tailer made for multiplayer, and some other levels, with some modifications, could be first class multiplayer levels. And the "play multiplayer mode on single player maps, using a Gameshark" FAQ on gamefaqs.com proves that PD can handle single player levels in multiplayer mode.

#09: No GE weapons in Combat Simulator.

I CANNOT understand this. It's such an obvious feature to include, and would have made so many people happy. It really should be in there.

#10: Enemy reloading.

I've never really noticed this, so I can't comment on it.

#11: Single-Player Level Design

I don't agree at all - I think PD's single player levels are largely excellent, though I agree that GE has better atmosphere.

#12:The reward for completing ALL challenges

Yes, I thought that there should be something. Nothing that everyone would want or need, since so few people could earn it, but something good. I thought that ALL WEAPONS - NO RELOAD would have been good to have for this, as it's not a cheat that you *need* to win (unlike ALL WEAPONS, INFINITE AMMO and so on, which you need if you want to have fun cheating), but it would be great to win if you could.

That comes under the catagory of "cheating" sims, the way they can fire faster than humans, for instance. Not exactly fair, but not a major problem with the game, I find.

0: Game Customization

I don't understand what you're saying. It's great that the game was so customisable (far more so than any FPS I've seen before or since), but a few more options would be even better.

For my part, I wish PD had:

* The ability to define how many lives each player (incuding sims, of course) could have. That way, you could have a Last Man Standing mode.

* The option to show only the briefcase (or other things, such as the Hacker Central stuff or the Hill), on the radar, as the only option you have in PD is radar ON/OFF, and when on it shows everything, including all players (I'd prefer it not to show the players, just the items).

* The ability to save as many multiplayer setups as you like, until the controller pak is full. PD introduces the brilliant feature (which is still unsued in other games) whereby you can save multiplayer setups, and limits you to four, regardless of the free space you have left!

* The ability to mirror and/or reverse the multiplayer levels. In some racing games, you can do this, to give the illusion of more tracks. It doesn't sound like much, and it's not as good as really having more tracks, but it's a nice feature, and would certainly be possible in PD, as the sims node tables would be mirrored with the levels.

* Why do the mines have a threat detector? They should not (the K7 is acceptable with it, as you can choose not to have the K7 available when playing with mines, if you like). Instead of three mines (proximity, timed and remote), there should only be two mines, the first being remote, whereby primary fire deploys (throws) the mine, and secondary detonates it (or them), as normal. The second mine should have proximity mode deployment for primary fire, and secondary mode should deploy the mine as a timed mine.

* The grenade has far too long a detonation time. Four seconds is much to long, it should perhaps detonate as soon as it lands, or very quickly afterwards.

There are more things I'd like to change, but at the moment, these are all that I can think of, (well, and also things that have been mentioned by others here, such as single player levels available in multiplayer mode, and GE weapons in multiplayer mode). Even so, PD is FAR AND AWAY the best FPS multiplayer game, actually the best multiplayer game of any type ever, that I've ever seen. And also possibly the best single player game too, though that might be Goldeneye (I can never decide).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As always, your posts are very well written and thought out.
I wouldn't agree about the not using the N-Bomb or FarSight XR-20 if I don't like them bit. Even if I don't use them, that doesn't mean my enemies won't. The dataDyne Shocktroopers in Mr. Blonde's Revenge often use N-Bombs. All it takes is for you to get trapped in a whirlwind and that's it. Your weapon is lost, your vision is distorted, and your health is drained. An opponent in Combat Simulator could grab a FarSight XR-20 and target lock your butt into yesterday. I know you could deselect it from the weapon menu, but it's a part of some challenges that can't be changed.

Enemy reloading has become an even bigger pain these past few days. Attempting to complete all of the missions on Perfect Agent, I've come across even more 'endless clip' guards. While you only get to fire off 25 rounds with a K7 Avenger before reloading, they pump out a good 75 rounds. It'd have been better for their action routines to allow identification of the weapon they are currently armed with, then keep track of the ammunition in their clip. Once the amount has been reached, their clip is emptied. Since they didn't do this, you're left to defend yourself from enemies with bottomless magazines.

Enemy Grenades: Here's another bit of cheapness of behalf of the guards. Tell me how they can toss a grenade and have it explode on impact? You could say that the amount of time it takes them to actually throw it, due to their animation, subtracts a few seconds from the internal clock. Thus, when thrown, is set off at about the same time it hits the ground. By the time you notice someone about the toss one, you've got a split second to move. When it hits, it's game over. Even with full health, one grenade blast can end your mission.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

>As always, your posts are very well written and thought out.

If that't meant for me, then thanks Very Happy If it's meant for someone else, then please forget I said this Embarassed

Anyway, the post "What do you think a Cetan looks like?" in the topic index reminded me of some more things I'd have liked in PD;

* It would have been great to have seen the sunken ship/Cetan from the outside, probably during the initial cut-scene, as that would really have set the scene.

* By the same token, we should really have seen the dataDyne skyscraper and the Pellagic II from the outside as well, during their respective cutscenes. And perhaps the Carrington Institute, too. This would have made the atmospehere of the game more coherent, as you'd have felt like you had travelled to different places, I think.

* Rain and snow in multiplayer levels. Admittedly, this would have added to the N64's workload, and might have resulted in more slowdown in heavily laden deathmatches, but the option to have rain or snow in the outdoor sections of maps (that have outdoor sections) would have been great.

* A sixth weapon slot in The Warehouse.

* The option to activate/deactivate Combat Boosts without having to select them in the inventory. As it is, you have to select them, activate them, then whilst the game is in slow time you have to reselect your chosen weapon. If instead, pressing the left shoulder button (for example) would (de)activate the Combat Boost, then you wouldn't have to change weapons at all, it would be much more convenient than having to access your inventory twice (first time to select the Combat Boost, the second time to (re)select your chosen weapon).

* The big platform/lift/elevator in The Ravine moves too slowly, I think - it should be faster.

* The staircases in The Carpark are deathtraps if you're using explosives. Of the four staircases, I think two should be the normal style staircases (as they are in the level), whilst the other two shoud have solid, indestructable glass in them, where the hand rail is (but going all the way up to the ceiling). That way, in those staircases, people can still see you, but they cannot shoot you (with bullets, grenades, rockets or anything) from across the stairwell, though of course if they are on the same immediate flight of stairs then they still can do so. Or maybe replace two of the staircases with moving platforms. And it's not really like a car park at all - if it was possible to walk from the bottom floor to the top floor (and vice versa) by traversing the ramps that join each floor, then it would be much better (and you could avoid using the staircase then, if you so chose, so the explosives-in-the-stairwell would no longer be a problem).

* The one type of multiplayer map I think PD is missing is a good sniping map. Doesn't bother me too much, as I'm not a sniper, but it's a pity for sniping fans. Perhaps The Fortress could have been redesigned slightly to make it more sniper friendly. Say by making all of the floor solid, so the (sort of) cross shaped floor was just a huge, solid square, and making the wall that houses the bottom doors leading onto the floor totally open plan (except for maybe a couple of support pillars, for people to hide behind). Just a thought.

* Oh, almost forgot. When playing multiplayer with Slowmo on, you know how when you die it takes aggggggeeeeessss for you to respawn? Rare should have fixed that.

* And memory permitting, some more Goldeneye maps (such as The Library and Egyptian) would have been great. And apparently there is some empty or wasted space on the PD cartridge - amazing when you think about it, given how much they managed to cram onto it Shocked

I think that's the lot for now.

El Cazador
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Saberier wrote:
#11: Single-Player Level Design. I remember in GoldenEye that the excellent level design was fun and straightforward with plenty of action. Perfect Dark's level design relies too much on backtracking and being long aswell as being complex. I don't like having to run around with no one to kill looking for an objective to complete. I also dislike dying at the end of a long mission like Area 51 Rescue just to do all the complex stuff again.

I agree with Saberia. GE had awsome missions, where as PD got a little bit tedious. Though it still rocked.

00Dark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the thing i hate is the fact that on levels where the enemys use shields (such as CI defense) you cant use them. thats just cheap!!!!

Maxout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You are given the RCP120 so you can ignore them. Naturally, they had to follow some kind of theme with PD overall.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree with you quite much in these things, wreck...

#2: I love disarming, it is cool and pro, makes dangerous enemy (with rocket launcher or something) less dangerous, you can't stand on shield spawn and shoot with your almighty gun.

#4: Play more

#5: There was one "dweeb" in GE also, but hey, that game didn't have any voice acting...

#8: But they rock

#9: GameShark will fix this thing, and yes legal issues.

#10: When did enemies in GE reload? You can cheat also, just use the cheat.. Very Happy

Laughing

#11: Not true.

Rolling Eyes

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

#01: Vision distortion.
Brilliant. Good innovation.
Besides you can do it the enemies and their accuracy becomes heaps worse. If you know the level decently and shoot in straight-ish lines you'll be fine till it goes away.

#02: Disarming.
Flamin Awesome!
If your armed and an opponent gets close enough to disarm you, then you deserve to get shot with your own gun. Twisted Evil
And its SO, SO satisfying doing it to others.

#03: N-Bomb.
Thought it was fun. But yeah I almost always had it turned off, but just for the noise and its pure destructive-ness its fun. Getting 5+ sims caught in one. Laughing

#04: Enemy accuracy.
Meant you had to be on your feet, and a good shot back. Goldneye's gaurds were too inacurate.

#05: Grimshaw.
Funny. Laughing

#06: Dr. Caroll.
Didn't mind him.
Found it fun in Datadyne, 3rd level to lock him out of the elevator on purpose.
Or blow him up just as the finish cut-scene starts. Laughing Very Happy

#07: FarSight XR-20.
OH MAN!
I loved this gun so much. I guess I practiced a bit and got more than competent with it.
Sims NEVER use it....or super rarely anyway. Actually I think the lower level sims use it occasionally. Same with the Laptop gun I think...

Against people, well, if they are decent, you'll never hit them, you can run WAY faster than the screen scrolls + the radar and seeing their screen make sit SO easy to get away from.

#08: No mission maps in Combat Simulator.
Means we got extra maps if the single player levels can just get hacked. Razz
I loved the "arena" versions like Skedar, Villa, etc. Area 52 was BRILLIANT.
They only used the single player levels in Goldneye cause the multiplayer was only added during the last 3 months, nearly as an afterthough. HOWEVER those levels worked fantasticly.

#09: No GE weapons in Combat Simulator.
Would have been nice.
But playing Goldeneye makes it good. Smile

#10: Enemy reloading.
Never had an issue with it.
Duck and cover. Cool

#11: Single-Player Level Design.
Was fantastic.

#12:The reward for completing ALL challenges
was satisfaction and unlocking things as you go.
Weapons, mopre settings etc.

Rarely play with them, but if you do, just keep the dog away from them. Razz
You can out-run em, or shoot em.

#14: Game Customization
Was great, I've had hours of fun and great challenges and will continute to do so. Cool

(numbers might not be right from here on in :p)

#15: Why do the mines have a threat detector?
Cause when you are out of mines, you can see where they are instea dof walking into a room and just dying. Laptop guns are a threat too.

#16: The grenade has far too long a detonation time
WHAT!? Don't you people know about pulling the pin.
You know and holding it for a few seconds?
Grenade is SO satisfying!!! Very Happy
When you time it to perfection with the pin-pulling and blow it up in peoples faces.

#17: Oh, almost forgot. When playing multiplayer with Slowmo on, you know how when you die it takes aggggggeeeeessss for you to respawn? Rare should have fixed that.
Not sure if that would have worked in multiplayer.
Yeah it was a touch annoying, although good initiative with the "SMART" option under slow-mo.

#18: the thing i hate is the fact that on levels where the enemys use shields (such as CI defense) you cant use them. thats just cheap!!!!
It makes sense story wise, and is good.
Although your probably best running for the hills/cloaking when that stage of the level happens.

Sorry, to disagree so much.
Shocked

Perfect Dark is the good though!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: