ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Runway mountains and mysterious roof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Runway mountains and mysterious roof Reply with quote Back to top

I got bored today and played around a bit with the runway. I've always had the idea of a runway front zone but before never really had the necessary knowledge to do with it what I wanted to do with it.

Now, while I don't plan on working on an actual map anytime soon, I did play around a bit with spawning in what are normally inaccessible areas (the mountains and the other side of the fence).

So basically I have to go through tile by tile within the room I'm in until I find the correct one then modify the coordinates. Anyways, I managed to spawn myself in the mountains, and interestingly enough, they ARE scalable by the player.

But they're VERY STEEP and its very easy to just jump off. There are also some visibility issues but those may be correctable as I haven't tested all the different pointers just yet.

Anyways....here are a few screenshots....one of me on top of the mountains and one taken while in free-fall to the ground, which incidentally, I landed on the back side area of the fence.

Also note that you can see that the roof of the one building is white - it may also be possible to spawn on the rooftop, I'm not sure yet. But anyways, there are indeed some interesting far-out possibilities for a future multiplayer map.

Last edited by bmw on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, its pretty cool seeing Runnway from that angle. There may be alot of things in the game that are "scaleable" that we dont know about. For instance, isn't the dam scaleable if you have the No-Endings Gameshark code on? You can go down, then with some proper movement, get yourself all the way back up.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is very interesting. I didn't realize there was clipping there, thought there wasn't, but I will double check (apparently there is). Mind posting the start point codes, that's impressive work. I spawned myself behind the fence once, but there was no clipping, and I don't think room connections work there so you really would need to spawn like you did on the exact mountain clipping. It sounds like it scales much like a ladder, like in Dam's end with the previously mentioned level never ends (btw - for the curious, this code, all it does, is the place everything writes to in the action blocks is fixed to 0000, so no objectives are ever completed [action blocks cannot successfully indicate completion], at least that's what I remember).

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even when you spawn yourself behind the fence, you still have to locate the proper tile, and that can be tedious (this is the same method I used to spawn on top of the bay in the Aztec). At least for me, it was a matter of trial and error of testing each tile in the room.

In this case, the room is room 0E. If you load the multi player runway map hacked by Icy Guy Click here then the tiles for room 0E begin at 811CFCA8 and end at 811D0388. There's 54 different tiles total in room 0E so testing can be really tedious. I tested nearly all of them (wish I would have kept better notes) and there's about 6 or 7 of them that put you in elevations as high as the mountains. I'm a little frustrated because I have yet to successfully locate a PROPER tile on the back side of the fence on which to spawn (I can get back there but just walk through everything).

I know the clipping data exists just by watching the behaviour of a hand gernade when you toss it back there - it will bounce around off the mountain side and land down on the ground.

Also interesting - the back wall of the building is non-existent.

I can't remember specifically which pointer allowed me up onto the mountains (I didn't write it down) - but while walking around I could see the horizon (blue over black) moving vertically up and down so there was no doubt I was scaling something - then after walking just a few steps forward I went into freefall all the way to the ground.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this...

50001B08 0000
811CF550 0000

Enter that code along with the rest of the codes to kill all room connections so you can see exactly what each room consists of (most of the rooms in this stage are quite large, especially room 0E - it does indeed include the mountains)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Runway has always been a curious map. There's so much about it that is rather mysterious. Extra enemy weapons in the setup file, full sniper zoom visualization issues, a fake textured door, blocked off vehicle entrance, overly detailed rooftop, fenced off area, ridiculous cheat option target time, etc. Of course, much of that could have been done for looks, but may have held a higher purpose earlier on in development. Some say that the target time was set at five minutes so that gamers would learn about the cheat options. The extra weaponry could have been for more guards, or spawned in enemies, but later went unused. It's likely that the rooftop was detailed enough just for us to see it from ground level and intro camera shots. The vehicle entrance is an explaination of how people get in and out of the service runway. That fake door on the left, has intrigued gamers for a long time. Could there have been something back there once? I wouldn't count it out. They did the same thing in Silo, afterall.

Anyways, that's a great find, BMW. I also remember getting back there with a no clipping code, walking through everything. That's really interesting that you can scale the mountains. I wonder why the heck they bothered setting that up in the clipping? Rare was a strange bird.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was curious about that roof as well - I confirmed that it consists of rooms 5, 6, and 7. Unfortunately no clipping data whatsoever exists for these 3 rooms (at least that I could find - the clipping data runs in reverse order and jumps from room 8 to 4).

What is interesting is that the lower portion of the building consists of rooms 1-4 which makes me think that during development, the second floor was added and later eventually abandoned. Room 8 is the tail-end of the runway and the rooms increase in number up to 16.

EDIT - ok this is just plain confusing me now. I wish I would have jotted down the pointer data I used at the time I captured those screenshots because I can't seem to duplicate the results. But there is no doubt that I did indeed spawn at a very high vertical location and was able to walk off and come crashing to the ground.

As for mountains - I have confirmed that no clipping data exists, at least for mountains surrounding other rooms. For instance - at the very very end of the runway where you see mountains across on the other side - those mountains are their own room (room 17) and room 17 has no clipping data. But when I shoot a gernade via a gernade launcher at any set of mountains (including those in room 17), the gernade itself follows the terrain of the mountain and eventually explodes. Is this collision data different from clipping data? What I also wonder is while a gernade is on the mountains, what would the coordinate data for it show? If there's no clipping, then what "tile" would the pointer be pointing to?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... The clipping viewer didn't locate anything there. It could be the spawn location glitch at work. Usually when a position can't be resolved it just spawns you at the location and hopes to figure out your current position by triangulating the nearest tile.

Say, you dont' still have a link to that, do you Sub? I might be able to host it otherwise. It never worked very well, but it was helpful for some things, like making the ladders for Aztec.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By killing a few room connections I was able to get a better view at exactly what is inside the building on the roof.

I think this image proves that development of that building was at one point underway. Look at the part which I zoomed in on - there is clearly the development of an interior wall. Also appears as though there were going to be 2 floors as you'll see that the interior wall takes a slight jog and then continues into another upstairs room (the room downstairs below it was never developed).

Thought you all might find that interesting.

I'm also intrigued by the protruding windows very high up on the leftmost roof building. I might see if I can get a better view into that building.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is kind of interesting. There's no way to see that wall otherwise I believe. It could just be detail. I'm not convinced any level was ever going to be up there, probably just a question of how detailed it would be. I also don't think the fake brown door ever was a real door either, although I'm sure at one point it was considered.

Here's the clipping editor I made years ago. I am not proud of it, was inexperienced at the time, but it works. You can view clipping per room, and rotate (it'll crash a LOT thanks to divide by zero and rotation is horrific). But the fact of the matter is you can edit clipping to really cool effects (see my beta site for some pics in action):
http://www.rarewitchproject.com/test/clipgui.exe

Last edited by SubDrag on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: