ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Visibility, distance, Surface i, cabins, portals, etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Visibility, distance, Surface i, cabins, portals, etc Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any way to modify a level's visibility?

Specifically, I'm looking at the Surface level. In single-player, I notice that you can't see all that far into the distance, however, if I load it into multiplayer mode via the stack, the visibility seems much further.

What I want to do is lessen the visibility in the multiplayer version. Is this possible?

I'm asking because I've noticed a problem that I THINK is related to visibility (though I'm not sure) and that is that when you get really close to ANY wall you can see through it. I've also noticed this in multiplayer dam.

Or is there another reason this problem exists? And is there a fairly easy fix for it?[/img]

Last edited by bmw on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I or II, it doesn't matter. Both suffer from the same problem. And when loading them for the purposes of multiplayer, I'm pretty sure both are the same exact map.

I just looked at my notes, I'm working with Surface II if this info is important.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Both Surface i and ii use the same background file, but have seperate weather setups.

This visibility issue with walls is via emulation, correct? I've had this happen fairly often on my computer with both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. When you're really close to a wall, it either goes black, or you're able to see through a model that's in the middle of the room you are currently in. This doesn't happen on console, does it?

Are you using any weather mods when playing the Surface i or ii in multiplayer mode? If you are, than they should operate correctly. Emulation is a tricky bugger when it comes to the skies in GE and PD. If you do not have any weather modifiers active, the default multiplayer setup should be used. Well, I believe it is. When I switched between the default multi weather and what is used in a normally non-multiplayer stage, they looked the same. With either of those (or if they are the same) you'll get no fogging. The visible distance is much farther than the proper weather would display. Here are the codes Zoinkity created that set them to run in multiplayer...

Surface i Multi Weather (Stage ID 24, Daytime)
810452BE 00EC
D002B523 0003
810452BE 0150
D002B523 0004
810452BE 01B4

Surface ii Multi Weather (Stage ID 2B, Nighttime)
8104548A 00F2
D002B523 0003
8104548A 0156
D002B523 0004
8104548A 01BA

Surface ii in i Multi Weather (Stage ID 24, Nighttime)
8104548A 00EC
D002B523 0003
8104548A 0150
D002B523 0004
8104548A 01B4

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet, applying the proper sky codes reduces visibility AND corrects the see-through walls problem, as I suspected it would.

Thanks much for finding those codes - all I could find was a functional night-time code, but for the multiplayer map I'm looking at creating (which for now is secret) daytime works much better.

And re: 123kid - yep, I found a code for Surface i night time:
8104548A 0190
D002B523 0003
8104548A 012C
D002B523 0002
8104548A 00C8

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the weather used in the second Surface mission. However, it's the only one in the game like it, so I have to respect it for that alone. In multiplayer, the first mission's weather is a thousand times better. Only problem with the stage in multi, is that you can shoot your opponents through snowbanks and cabins. It's kind of a disappointment, really. Still, it was my personal favourite of the old Emptier multi maps. Something about it just looked really nice. Besides, it was also the first one in 4-Player, which was cool.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did some testing just now and was unable to score a hit through a cabin wall - are we only talking about certain cabins and/or certain bullets?

I was, however, able to score a hit through a snowbank, but in the map I'm looking at creating, there's only a few locations in the map where this would even be an issue. (and even then sometimes the snowbank stops the bullet and sometimes it doesn't which is really strange - you can tell this because sometimes the bullet leaves a visible bullet hole in the snow and sometimes not, even in the same exact snowbank)

What the heck, I might as well show you what I'm looking at as far as a map....(I drew this up in 5 minutes in MSPaint, its very much out of scale and not even all that accurate, but it should give you an idea of the area I'm looking at)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The cabins that I remember bullets being able to fire through, are the two past the fenced area. Your ammunition shouldn't just go through anything, since the textures are supposed to take the impact. Perhaps the visibility is also an issue? I haven't played it in so long that I can't say for certain what causes it. I'm not even sure if I've used the proper weather mods on console.

That's one massive boundary, BMW.
What is it going to be made out of?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have a feeling the bullet-through-the-cabin-wall issue has to do with the visibility issues - the rooms are very poorly connected through the windows and doors and cause quite a few blackouts. This may be fairly easily correctable with a similar portal hack like the one used to fix the back of the train in the depot or the door in the warehouse.

FOR EXAMPLE:

After playing around with this map I've modified it a bit and made the area slightly smaller by getting rid of the dome building and all of room 7 - it was causing the framerates to drop just a little bit lower than I would like, but after the changes the framerates boosted considerably.

So I will now have 2 boundary walls - I've found an ingenious way of creating solid white walls - converting a pane of glass into a type 0003 but using the image of a hanging wall screen. The wall screen requires a programming section of code, but since the glass only has half the code, the programming section is gone, and the screen appears pure white. This was the same method I used to block off the walk-through grate in the Aztec.

I have one of the 2 walls in place - the second one will be perpendicular to this one.

DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The wall will be solid and will basically behave like any other wall. It will be solid and indestructible, bullet holes will appear in it (which is fine, bullet holes show up in all walls anyways)

I have no idea if it will be able to be walked through, I guess I wouldn't see the point of somebody having that code activated during multiplayer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made huge progress in fixing visibility issues with the cabins. It appears that what is happening is that there are just too many portals open and this is causing blackouts. The larger cabins have 4 windows and a door on one wall and have 5 separate portals defined for that wall. What I did was close the portals for the 4 windows and expanded the door portal to make up for it.
ILLUSTRATION:

This appears to have fixed the blackouts COMPLETELY!

In the process of doing this, I figured out how portals are actually set up:

(X,Y,Z) coord corner 1
(X,Y,Z) coord corner 2
(X,Y,Z) coord corner 3
(X,Y,Z) coord corner 4

The values are unexpanded, however, so if you grab coords to locate a portal corner, you need to unexpand them before using them.

In the case of the cabins, 4 lines of code for each entire wall (simply changing the X-coord corners, the Y and Z can be left alone as they pertain to heighth and depth) plus 1 line for each window fixes the portals. So for the biggest wall (4 windows plus 1 door), 8 lines of code fixes the visibility issues completely.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds really good, BMW. I wouldn't mind checking those fixes out sometime, as the Surface does have some rather nasty room model visibility connnection problems. I noticed in the Complex, that they had three different portals for the openings below the dual bridge. One on the left, one on the right, and one in the middle. I don't know if there are any repercussions to using a single portal when there's model data inbetween the windows. Since you can't see through those parts, there shouldn't be an issue. Well, whatever gets the job done. Excellent work.

With the Walk Through Props code (800364CB 0000) activated, you would be able to move past the barricade. But, as BMW mentioned, people shouldn't be using it in multiplayer to begin with. Then again, some of us do like to explore.

DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, should you decide to explore, you'll find nothing more than closed room portals, on the other side of which you'll find a barren wasteland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: