ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Replacing Rooms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Replacing Rooms? Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to trick the game into loading a different room when you walk in somewhere? For instance, is it possible to switch the rooms in Silo around in order to.. say.. use the beta door presets. Rooms in Silo (at least as indicated by the debug display) seem to change as you go up in the levels. So I was wondering if it was possible to simply load another room for a level. Example, there is a beta preset for a Door behind the wall right in Bonds start position. What if you switched out that room with a room that has a walkway and two Door inlets instead of just one? Then, the door would be visible and usable.

Is it possible to switch out rooms and re-arrange maps like the Silo? Not that I would actually put that much work into doing it (if its easy, maybe), but I was wondering if it was technically possible. Come to think of it, this is possible, it was done for Bunker i Multi. How is it done? Modding the BG data?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: re: rooms Reply with quote Back to top

Kinda related to that, I've always wondered if its possible (in theory) to connect rooms between levels - like connect the bunker to the surface, or the surface to the silo, or the facility to the runway - through the "common" points which connect the levels.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's all possible. It's pretty much what I've been doing when porting room models between GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. You isolate a model, then extract it someplace. Let's say you want to connect the bottling room from the Facility to the docking bay in Runway. You'd take the models that make up the bottling room, and put them in with the Runway background data. Connecting them together would require new coordinates and visibility portals. The clipping would also need to be taken from Facility and attached to Runway, then modified accordingly. However, a big issue involves the stage scale. Since the two stages both have drastically different scales, you'd need to rescale the models from the bottling room. And with rescaling the size, the same would need to be done to the clipping. It'd take some doing, but it'd probably turn out quite nicely. Not sure how well the conveyor belt would connect, though.

Swapping around room models in the Silo sounds familiar. I believe Zoinkity did that once with one of the missile tubes. Yeah, the one in the first tube, with the exhaust vent. He switched it to load another model from a different tube. That was only a visible change, what you're talking about is more physical. It'd need a brand new clipping file to reorganize an entire stage.

The Bunker i Multi was the real Bunker i background, using the Bunker ii setup file. It was a great idea, thought up by Zoinkity. Since it's the same structure, with the same scaling, most of the presets would already fall on valid locations. With a few modifications to room pointers, it worked beautifully. I can't begin to tell you how much code space it saved.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I made a little code a long while back that switched one of the rooms in Silo with another, removing the visible vent at the start as well as the ladder. It just replaced one offset in the background file to another. It really isn't hard, but you have to be careful that none of the filesizes get screwed up. That will cause a lock.

You can create new rooms and load them. To do so, you need to hack the background file with the new file offsets, provide new mapping information, and edit the clipping file. The only nasty part is making sure it doesn't exceed the current space. Heck, I was doing that at one point, revising Citadel's walls and such. See, I like vents and solid wall boundries... It looks spectacular in dark brick ;*)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: