ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Texture space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Texture space Reply with quote Back to top

Today I started playing around with using different setup files for my library and redirecting the stage ID's.

What I discovered was that if I redirect to the jungle, I gain a little bit of space for textures. In addition to what I had in my level at the time I reached my max for library, I added some new office items as well as a model car and a model airplane. I eventually maxed out again and ran into errors.

So I went checking out different setups/redirections (and changed the GS codes accordingly). I found that the Streets provides a LOT more space. I have since added 5 different characters, changed all kinds of monitor images, and everything still loads perfect - even the watch, guns, and cuff. The only disadvantage to the Streets is that it is by default only a 56k sized file (compared to over 100 for the jungle).

I'm gonna check out a few others, such as the aztec and the bunker.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting and good for everyone to know. I would be surprised if you went above 56K, that's a pretty decent sized setup. Although you do need to add presets for path sets and that's quite a bit. I think that's plenty though. Another question is why.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I added one more object and ended up maxing out the Streets.

So I tried Aztec. Loads perfect. Added a few more objects, still loads perfect.

And the Aztec is a 72k file.

Looking at both the stage itself as well as the numerous types of doors and objects in the Aztec, I'm willing to bet this is probably the best one to use.

EDIT - I suspect I'll be pushing 72k with the library. Its alread up to 44k and I still have a lot of objects and doors to add to the basement. Still haven't touched paths yet.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow dang. I don't know how you've gone that big. But that's awesome. We need to eventually find out how to push the amount of space used, maybe we can forcibly move things and allow more. Where's that code Zoinkity used to push PAL to NTSC? Don't think that'll help, but maybe textures have a similar one.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just counted up my presets. Up to 191 of them so far. And some presets contain multiple objects. Probably over 200 objects thus far.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you run into any object limits let me know. That's kind of untested hehe.

Here are the limits:
#define max01Objects 200
#define max02Objects 50
#define max03Objects 750
#define max04Objects 100
#define max05Objects 50
#define max06Objects 50
#define max07Objects 300
#define max08Objects 300
#define max09Objects 248
#define max0AObjects 100
#define max0BObjects 75
#define max0CObjects 25
#define max0DObjects 100
#define max0EObjects 100
#define max11Objects 150
#define max12Objects 50
#define max13Objects 50
#define max14Objects 100
#define max15Objects 50
#define max16Objects 255
#define max24Objects 100
#define max25Objects 100
#define max26Objects 100
#define max27Objects 100
#define max28Objects 100
#define max2AObjects 150
#define max2BObjects 50
#define max2CObjects 50
#define max2DObjects 50
#define max2EObjects 30
#define max2FObjects 120

If you need more of any let me know.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those numbers all look within my limits.

btw - I tested the Facility's setup. So far I haven't maxed it out yet, so its at least comparable to Aztec.

This will definitely be the setup file of choice. Its size is 94k.

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, with that, youl'll have Jungle with all the plants, trees and ferns. Surely Jungle with no drone guns, Xenia and guards would equal that much.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's really cool to hear. I'm glad to know you've found another ID switch, other than with the Jungle, that offers alot of space for your objects and textures. One thing I'd recommend to cut down on the size of your actual setup file, is changing the fake walls from 01 Door types into 03 Standard types. I know it means you'll need to rotate them differently to sit where they were the other way, but it'll reduce the amount of data they've used by half. When you think about it, that can grow to be quite a bit.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I somehow knew you'd come in here with that suggestion (door walls -> standard objects).

I've thought about it, and will do it as a last resort if I run out of space, but it'd be quite a bit of work - mainly because I'd have to create new type 03 objects and then copy and paste all of the coordinate/sizing data.

Since I haven't got to action blocks yet - how much space will these take up, on average, in my setup file?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't think you need to worry about space. Don't waste all that time converting unless you're really close to a boundary. To convert doors <> objects you can usually swap out the rotation to equal the offsets, and make the xoffset = old zrotation, and zoffset = old xrotation.

Action blocks, not sure typical, but don't worry about space at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: