ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Aren't Those PD Stages?! Another Project...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Aren't Those PD Stages?! Another Project... Reply with quote Back to top

As some of you may have already seen, I had been porting some stage background models from GoldenEye into Perfect Dark. Well, about two weeks backs, I decided to try the exact opposite. Taking a room from the PD version of the Complex, I ported it into the GE Runway. A great tool to help visualize this, is the GoldenEye Setup Editor v2.0 - Visual Editor. You'll no doubt notice that the textures are incorrect. That's because it is a straight port, so the models are using the same values from PD, which correspond to different images in GE. Here's a picture taken with the Editor...

Also, there's an extra stage background in Perfect Dark that consists of only one room. I call it, "The Platform", as it's simply a large square surface floating in the middle of nowhere. After porting it into the GoldenEye Runway, SubDrag cooked up a clipping file for it, by using an .obj to clipping convertor he designed. We have yet to convert the actual clipping between games, but it's definitely something that is do-able. I think Zoinkity may be working on that part of the process. As with the other port, the textures are incorrect. You'll notice some small mountains in the middle of the picture. The Platform absolutely dwarfs the entire Runway stage. GE uses different stage scales to enlarge their levels, where as PD shares the same scale for all of their maps. That would explain the massive size differential. Anyways, here are a few images taken of The Platform...

Perfect Dark has a bunch of extra features in their background files in comparison to GoldenEye, which isn't much a surprise. Being the sequel, they put as much into it as possible in order to make it better than the original. I'll give them an 'A' for effort, but you just can't beat GE. Some of these extras are...

a) Accent Lighting: which controls the amount of RGB lighting that is removed from a room model when a specific texture is shot at or hit by an explosion. I am not totally sure how it works, yet. It's offset to at 0x10 in the decompressed BG index.

b) Model-in-Model: it appears as though some models contain more than just the one model. Carpark is a good example. There they have metal crate piles throughout the stage. These are not objects, but actual architecture. In these certain room model files, there are extra offsets. I haven't followed them all, but it certainly seems like they're pointing toward another set of model data within the file. This could make porting a little trickier.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

awesome. I have to learn how to do that Cool

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool stuff as always. Its always cool to see stuff where it doesnt belong, lol.

sticker
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that's weird but cool

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Model-in-model is supported (kinda) in GE. You have a different "room" that is within the room bounds, then use 'global visibility' to make it visible when the container room is visible.

The other option would be to just set it as a seperate structure following the usual display list and let the rsp figure it out ;*)

GE64.net
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Make the platform into a sick level! with weapons and stuff

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just ported (manually) the first room model from the Carpark. The textures make it look a little funky, but anyone familiar with the PD map should recognize the architecture. Even if you don't know the level, it's still a pretty cool looking model. Only fifty-two more rooms to port! Razz

Also, thought I'd throw this in, here's a shot of two basement garage models. They're connecting together where the back wall changes colour. I even decided to try test out the portal that ties these two rooms together visually. As you can see, it lines up perfectly...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Update: I didn't have much free time today, but I did manage to port three more room models, as well as the entire set of portals. The textures are throwing it off, I know. It won't be hard to remedy that problem. Anyways, here's another image of the Carpark...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looking good, portals are very sweet.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With a few more rooms ported over, the entire lower level parking garage has been completed, as well as one of the ramp towers. That takes care of fifteen of the fourty total models consisting in the Car Park background. Here's another screenshot taken with the GoldenEye Setup Editor v2.1's Visual Editor...

Update: With only one more room model left to port, the Car Park is pretty much complete. The rooftop is the last remaining area that is missing any architecture. Here's a shot of the mid-level parking garage...

Another Update: The final model has just been ported, completing the Car Park background once and for all. This was all done manually, each of the fourty rooms, without the use of any automatic conversion tools. It started out fun, but I really don't look forward to doing it again any time soon. Hopefully SubDrag can whip something up when I get him the data he requires. Not sure if there are any mistakes, but there could possibly be some incorrect RGB values. I'm probably going to go back over them to check, just to make certain. All that is left to do now, is to port the clipping and the textures. Once that is done, this baby is ready to go. Here's a picture of the full level from the outside. Please note that because of the draw distance, there are a few missing triangles here and there. This is not the case when viewing the models at a closer angle.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Update: After using the GoldenEye Setup Editor v2.1 - Visual Editor to modify the position of a group of clipping tiles, I tested this stage out in PJ64. I couldn't move around too far, but I was able to see a good portion of the mid-level parking garage. Just remember that the textures are incorrect for the time being, which makes it look a bit odd. Also, I didn't fix the stage scale, so the size of the background is slightly off. Bullets hit the architecture, mines stick to surfaces, and grenades explode when they contact the floors. Won't be too long now...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I'm impressed. Lets finish her up.

Saberier
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So speechless...

One word: Incredible!

GE/PD rules!!!

Galbadia Hotel for all your video game music needs: http://gh.ffshrine.org/?r=16600

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag and I have been working together these past two days on converting Perfect Dark maps over to GoldenEye. We're extremely close to having the Car Park completely finished. The entire background has been ported, as well as the textures. She looks absolutely identical to the original in every which way. My PC doesn't render either game properly, so certain colours or images are off. But trust me when I tell you, this is identical. Once we get the clipping finished, we'll put together a multiplayer setup file and release it to the public. Until then, here are two shots taken in PJ64. Please note that I'm playing in "Cinema" mode, in order to fit as much into each shot as possible.

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ive been wanting to see some gameplay screens of this, it looks absolutely incredible. All that background and textures properly ported from PD to GE. Very, Very nice work. I cant wait to try this out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: