ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark without killing anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Perfect Dark without killing anyone? Reply with quote Back to top

Recently I was playing Thief 3 on the XBox, and on the hardest levels you have to refrain from killing anyone, just render them unconscious, which got me thinking about a possible challenge mode for Perfect Dark.

We have the shotgun challenge, where you have to use the shotgun to complete the game, only using special weapons (such as the sniper rifle) where necessary. This is harder, as the shotgun is loud, slow loading, and can be heard from a distance away.

We have the License to Kill mode, as explained below:

What exactly IS LTK? License to Kill "LTK" is the hardest possible adventure in Perfect Dark, testing the skill of even the best players in the world. When you complete the 17 regular Solo Missions on Perfect Agent, under that difficulty is something called "Perfect Dark Mode", this is almost the exact same thing as 007 from Goldeneye. The requirements for License to kill make you go through hell, requiring you to have a ridiculous amount of patience, and enough skill to last you through the levels. The Enemy Health is set to 10%, so when you shoot an enemy, they WILL die in one hit; Enemy Damage is set to 1000%, which means every time you are shot, you will die; (There are some extremely rare instances that if you are shot by a Shotgun from a good distance away, you will not die, but rather your Health will be reduced to full red, sparing your life) Enemy Accuracy is set to a ridiculous 1000%, meaning if any enemy sees you out in the open, just kiss your sorry ass goodbye.

The above explanation is taken from the FAQ:

"License to Kill FAQ/Walkthrough 01/23/03 Jimbo007"

at the Perfect Dark FAQ page on:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/game/198275.html

So would a non-killing challenge be possible? Obviously, the stealth approach alone will not allow this, but with infinite ammo and all weapons, we can use the crossbow to subdue the enemies, instead of killing them. If we only use the crossbow, except where another weapon is necessary then it wil make the game harder, as we lose the advantage of the Laptop sentry, the faster firing guns, the explosive weaponry and so on. It won't alter the game too much, or make the game too hard, so it's not much of a challenge, but it might prove interesting. Come to think of it, does the Crossbow subdue the Skedar?

Any thoughts?

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No comments?

To add to the above post: Admittedly, the idea of avoiding killing in PD, is not a very good challenge, as PD was never built around stealth, although what stealth it does offer will allow you to bypass some enemies. Still, it was interesting in Thief 3, and could prove so in PD. However, only the Crossbow, the Pistol whip and punching will knock out an opponent, with the former being perhaps too powerful, and the latter two being all but useless unless you can sneak up behind the enemy (which worked in Thief 3 as you could hide in the shadows, PD doesn't allow this). If the Crossbow took a short while (say a few seconds) for the sedative to take effect (as in Deus Ex), then it would be better for the challenge, as when you'd shot a guard he'd still be dangerous until the sedative kicked in, and since you had no other weapons then you'd have to avoid his bullets.

Still, it's an idea we can work on. Maybe allow use of the X-Ray vision to see where an enemy is, to prepare for what little stealth the game allows? Perhaps allow use of the tranquliser's primary (not secondary) mode, too?

Or how about if the player is only allowd the pistol whip, the punch, and the invisibilty cheat? That way, stealth might work. And maybe add in the Combat Boost, because it's great Smile

And why not allow Combat Knives but only in their secondary function? This makes them into poisoned, throwing knives, which take time to kill the enemy. Alright, so it's kill rather than knock out, but we can pretend it only knocks them out (the body disappears either way) - it is only a game, after all Laughing

Regarding difficulty, the overall difficulty wouldn't be too different from the normal mode; it would be harder as you'd lose the use of the Farsight, the explosives and the machine guns, but easier in that you'd only need one hit to "kill" (well, knock unconscious), as opposed to several hits with some weapons (unless you're sure of a head shot with each weapon). Overall, I think it would be harder, but not too hard. You could play it with the Enemy Rocket cheat, or LTK mode, to make it harder.

Maxout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would be hard against the Skedar since they have a high amount of life. I don't think you could beat the Skedar Kings this way, it would be very difficult and require a bit of luck as well as fate that you don't die. I'm not sure what it would prove overall. This doesn't tops multiplayer against humans of course Cool.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maxout wrote:
Would be hard against the Skedar since they have a high amount of life.

True.

Quote:
I don't think you could beat the Skedar Kings this way, it would be very difficult and require a bit of luck as well as fate that you don't die.

I'm not sure what it would prove overall.

I don't even know if the Skedar Kings are vulnerable to tranqulisers, to be honest. The idea was just for another challenge (complete the game with as few killings as possible) , though admittedly PD isn't geared towards stealth or non-killing. Since no game after PD has even approached it's quality or fun (to my mind), I'm just interested in new ways of playing PD, such as LTK mode, or playing through the game with only certain weapons.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a very cool idea. I had an idea a long time ago, where you can only beat levels using punch only (or disarm). If an objective requires a gun, can use it, but it's an awesome scenario for dDHQ. I think I will try out LTK on that level.

Maxout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In Goldeneye the best level to use slappers only in the Archives. It is a small and short level. Other levels would be more difficult like the damn where you might get hit inside the passageway.

In Perfect Dark it is clearly impossible in Carrington Villa against the snipers, but the first three level would be quiet interesting.

El Cazador
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Almost seems...impossible! Like..an impossible mission. Spies, impossible missions...sounds familiar. Though I can't think of why. Cool

Maxout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Naturally, you want to beat it with the Falcon 2 with unlimited ammo because that doesn't make the mission impossible.

VistaUser
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the problem is that you could also use the psychosis gun, which never kills and puts enemies on your side. Of course, that would be risky because you would have to follow your army of zombies (that's what I call 'em Very Happy ) to make sure they do not kill anyone. But... you could set the difficulty to Perfect Dark and give enemies 1000% health, to make chances of that slim. Shocked I just realized I'm debating with myself.

Maxout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's too easy. Falcon 2. I'm glad there's a small group of us out there who still play despite other who think they have moved on.

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Going to play PD through like this,
I use unarmed only, and all weapons that just sends people unconscious.
Of course some levels require weapons, like snipers in Carrington, then I just use some weapon to meet the requirements to clear the levels.

It isn't too hard actually, the first levels we're quite easy.

Don't know if the game turn too hard later on...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: