ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Beta Restoration Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Beta Restoration Project Reply with quote Back to top

I have been working on a project to restore many aspects of Goldeneye considered "Beta" for quite some time now. My progress is somewhat accurately (not really, but close) detailed here: http://wiki.dotshell.net/index.php?title=Beta_Restoration_Project

A lot of the project involved figuring out leftover preset positions, and therefore I made alot of new discoveries of how the original stages of Goldeneye were like by figuring them out and restoring them.

Anyway, Im getting a wee bit tired of working, and am to a point where I have a lot of work that has not been released at all. Theres still text mods, some clipping mods, refinements, BG mods (which might be just too hard), texture mods and multi maps that need to be modded to complete the full ambition of the project, but right now I have 21 solo setup mods that are all mostly completed, and three clipping mods (Dam and Frigate and Silo). So Ill be nice, and release the setups and clipmods early, yet since Im also doing this out of laziness (I havent been working on this project for abit and I plan to take abit of a break from it) so this is not coming in a nice IPS patch with a 21990 mod. Oh no. Im uploading the setups and clipping files as is. Many unfinished, some you have to use codes for (if the setups are too big, replace a mission setup like facility's and use the gameshark stagemod table to make that mission load facility's setup, I have a copy of the table here: http://wiki.dotshell.net/index.php?title=Switching_Map_Resources

Here is a zip with all the setups and the three clipmods: http://kcghost.googlepages.com/GeBetaProjApr11.zip

Again, be aware they are not finished. I likely left bad start points and simple mistakes in many of the setups, some are too big, etc. The clipmods come in uncompressed and compressed, Im actually not sure what the state of the editor is with importing clipping or using it to convert a ROM, I made those clipmods with existing gameshark codes and pulling the clipping out of the memory and testing and putting it back in with a hex editor. The dam clipmod makes it so the islands accesible, the frigate clipmod helps remake the mystery doors (it was a very strange problem) and the Silo clipmod makes the entire bottom starting area accesible (setup makes Bond start in beta vent, will crash without the clipmod). I believe Zoinkity made all the clipping codes I used for them (I made them into clipping files before the editor had the clipping feature, or a visual feature for that matter, heck I havent even learned to use that very well).

Anyway thanks to Sub for his beta site which helped me out, thanks to Detstar for more beta information, and thanks to Zoinkity for codes that relate to it. Also thanks to Wreck for helping out and every other hacker in the universe for just being cool.

I must re-stress before I end this post that this project is not finished, I plan on improving and expanding on it, so don't be very critical of it. This is like the beta version of the Beta Restoration project. It gets that in-depth to where the beta project has a beta. Yeah, its that important. I feel like im ranting now, im using steak sauce mottos. Yea, umm, anyway, enjoy. If you want any reference to things changed, check the earlier link, I documented most things on the wiki. There is also a link off that link called "Beta Documentation" that lists and details every unused preset. I used most of them in the project.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's really awesome, glad to finally see some kind of release. Unfortunately some are your setups are too big to fit (4 of them). The current editor can easily import uncompressed clipping files to the ROM. The newest editor in progress can edit some stuff about 21990.

Wow the Dam is awesome - exploding lock, trip to island, wow. I think Egypt and Control are also particularly awesome. Runway, weird all those containers. You sure about that? They fit in objects like that?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Played through part of Dam, seems pretty cool but the game locks up everytime I select the lock exploder. I'm going to try Facility next.

Edit: Facility was cool, the extra guards made it harder and those scientists kept sneaking up on me. I was surprised you didn't add the stack gas tanks, that was one of the first things I did with the setup editor. Runway is next.

Edit 2: Runway is interesting, lots of grenades, lots of barrels, and it's cool to see the biker even if he's just a normal guard. On to Surface.

Edit 3: I don't like playing Surface on emulators, it loses the atmosphere it normally has. The extra guards again make the level harder but I'm not sure I like those green doors being used on the huts, they just don't fit like the wooden ones do. I'm going to stop for the time being, I'll give the rest a try later.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just gave the Dam a play through. You did a very nice job putting it together, KC. Of course, now is the time that I put on my serious face and point out a few of the things that will require some correction in the final version, hehe.

1: Some of the wooden crates obstruct the supply truck's path.
2: Those two extra dam area sliders shouldn't close portals when shut.
3: The Yale Key's upper watch text should be nulled.
4: For some reason, I lost the Yale Key after I used the boat.
5: Three guards in the second dam tower were unarmed.
6: The images for the extra items could be changed with Rename.

I had trouble getting the boat to work at first. It didn't actually function until I blew it up. During my second test, It could only warp Bond after I turned on the Walk Through Props cheat (800364CB 0000). You may need to change your Action Block into a When Tagged 16 Object Activated (press action/reload button) type. However, another issue, you lose your Yale Key after you've warped. That's a big problem, as you won't be able to use the blast door. You can get in, by firing your KF7 Soviet until someone opens it, but getting out is another story.

As for the covert modem connection screen, I personally prefer it in it's old position. Why not keep it there, and make another monitor down in the mainframe room? That would not only look nicer, but show how the two areas are connected.

Still, excellent job, overall. I really like the Lock Exploder, as well as the boat, even though it could use a bit of tweaking. Warping is an awesome ability. Great work on that one. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

GE64.net
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Really fun stuff! Dam didn't port correctly but Faciltiy and Runway are fuN!

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That warp for the boat was the last thing I did, I knew it still needed tweaking, the range isnt wide enough and the second boat position is abit off I believe. I didn't know about losing that key though, I wonder what causes that, that is a problem. I knew about the truck, I figure thats why those crates were taken out, I was gonna get to that ... eventually.

I tried to stress not to be critical, but I guess thats unavoidable, good for the buglist though, so thanks for listing.

Facility, Im planning on putting in those tanks, but I kind of work on the setups in stages and go back over them. There are no unused presets for the stacked tanks, so I would have to make new ones. Mind you, I was working on Facility last before the visual editor, now its pretty easy to copy those presets and heighten perfectly. I was so excited when I found the set of presets that most obviosly looked like the scientist guards, I love the idea of mad scientists, lol.

Runway, hey, I had a TON of friggin unused presets there. I looked back in the movie and saw those containers and thought "Well, I guess that could fit for alot of these things". Really theres no true way of telling, some of thse presets are very hard to tell, I think I got better with them in later maps though.

I really enjoy maps that I made entirely new discoveries with by finding uses of unused presets. Control, for example, has the liquid gas tanks. Egypt, has the coolest door in mankind. Dam has an extra blast door, monitor postion, etc. Alot of presets for Dam, one of the most interesting I couldnt use; the truck doors were a lot smaller (old 27xx presets right around there) meaning there was orginally no truck and the level was re-structured.

The four setups that are too big you can replace facility with and use a gameshark code (stagemod), see the link I gave in my earlier post.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't mean to criticize, just trying to help sort out any possible problem areas. Believe me, I think you're doing a fantastic job with this project. I know it's also still currently in-progress, which is why certain things may be either lacking or incomplete. I guess I've just gotten so used to testing from our time developing the GoldenEye Setup Editor, that it comes natural to me.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kcghost wrote:
Alot of presets for Dam, one of the most interesting I couldnt use; the truck doors were a lot smaller (old 27xx presets right around there) meaning there was orginally no truck and the level was re-structured.

I saw those doors when I first viewed Dam's setup (I was actually planning a project similar to this before I found out about yours), first thing that came to mind for me were smaller, double doors that they replaced with single wide doors. I guess we'll never know for sure unless we find a prototype cartridge.

moonraker808
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds neat and I am stoked to play it; however when I write the files to the rom and try to play it, dam doesn't start. I'll try the other levels, but I am really confused. I was using the "convert rom"

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That should work, works for me.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Skipped ahead and played Control, I have no idea why they scrapped so much in this level, all those extra mainframes, computers, and containers make the place seem a lot more active. I'm surprised there were no presets for extra boxes of mines in the "main" room though, they're there in the mission select picture and you kind of need them so you have enough mines for all the mainframes, I had to take out the last mainframe with a grenade. Did you consider switching to clear glass? It would make the level more like the picture.

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

just one thing I noticed you left out...

THE BETA RAIL! IT CAN BE DONE! HAHA!

yeah..you can connect the starting point into a path.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: