ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Read this if your Gameshark is unable to connect to your PC!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Read this if your Gameshark is unable to connect to your PC! Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I can base this information on my personal experience. I get many emails regarding why a Gameshark will not be recognized by a PC using the utilities program. I was sent 2 bogus Gamesharks from Interact (years ago now) when using their GS upgrading program. You send in non pro, and then they send you pro versions for a slight cost. There are Gamesharks in existance, even new ones in retail boxes, that are defective. The defect is, that they do not have an actual LED part on the circuit board, and thus the port on the back is NOT working. I base this on many Gamesharks that I have tested and then returned to a retail store. Hopefully these pictures will claify what I'm talking about. Post your experiences here also. If there is no LED display part on the Gameshark that you are about to buy, then don't buy it unless you plan on manually entering all the codes.

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

my gameshark dosne't even work anymore! It used to..It stopped working last month.

Erevan
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You don't know if there is a LED indicator in the Gameshark because when you look a gameshark in its box, or in internet, you cannot notice this problem, unless if a gameshark dosen't have its original box. That's happened to me often and I am sure it happens to everyone reaching a GS. All my GSes v 3.3 have no LED exept my 3.2.

Hey maybe I could transfer my LED from my GS 3.2 to my fonctionnal GS 3.3, but it's a risk to do that!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'd be better off just finding the same LED part from radio shack and soldering it on. But I think they knew this missing hardware and worked around it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The two v3.3's that I most recently purchased from a seller on eBay do have the white LED piece on-board, however they don't actually light up. They both function with my computer, but are only capable of receiving data. Sending information, such as downloading the cheat list from the device and onto the PC, doesn't work. Even if it does have the white piece for the LED display behind the bubble, make sure that it lights up. There's still a good chance that it'll communicate with your computer, though it may not be able to complete all the tasks it is supposed to.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

00Dark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always either get a v3.2 or the v3.3 one that comes with the video. I actually bought a v3.2 that came with a video, but it died out for no reason. It was probably just because I didn't treat it like an exalted god like I was supposed to. That is so stupid. They should've made them just as durable as a normal N64 game cartridge. Of course then they would probably make them ridiculously expensive.

My point is Datel sucks. Get a fast PC, buy an adaptoid, and don't ever buy a sh*tball GameShark. They absolutely suck. Besides, playing an emulator is far more worth it. They don't limit 250+ lines and you can patch them with custom multiplayer maps etc. like in GoldenEye. Plus using an adaptoid just makes it exactly like playing console.

Get the bonuses and don't get screwed! Evil or Very Mad

Bowser N64
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: True Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you perfectly, 00. Well said. Might as well play on PC.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fzeroman
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: True Reply with quote Back to top

i have a version 3.2 and 3.3 with a LED display(countdown)
and both gs pro utilities and gscc do not detect the gameshark

i am connected to my computer by a parallel/zip drive cable
to a parallel pci card

the pci parallel card is set to ECP and is on LPT 1
PLUG AND PLAY is also enabled

im running on windows vista

NOTE: i recently stopped gs pro utilities and gscc from crashing by going to CONTROL PANEL> USER ACCOUNTS

and turning the control to off

the gamesharks also light up if i just connect the parallel cable to it
and not have the gameshark in the console

is this verification that the connection works?

but the gamesharks are still not being detected

Gino
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Erevan wrote:
You don't know if there is a LED indicator in the Gameshark because when you look a gameshark in its box, or in internet, you cannot notice this problem, unless if a gameshark dosen't have its original box. That's happened to me often and I am sure it happens to everyone reaching a GS. All my GSes v 3.3 have no LED exept my 3.2.

Hey maybe I could transfer my LED from my GS 3.2 to my fonctionnal GS 3.3, but it's a risk to do that!

------------------------------------------------------------

R4 3DS
DS3
TT 3DS

Very Happy

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the LED lights slightly when connected to the computer that means it is getting a certain degree of residual power from the thing, mostly as a weird quirk.

The biggest issue with the GS now is its age. For instance, newer operating systems have subsequently diminished and removed direct LPT support. Even if you got it to detect, unless you pipe your code through a driver you won't be able to send more than a limitted (and random) number of packets. Many PCI cards won't work, no USB to parallel converters are known to work, and things are only getting worse.

The real solution would be for some nice, cheap backup device to hit the market. Honestly, the pertinent part of the GS trainer can easily be rewritten to hook directly into any game. PC comms support, in my experience, only serves the purpose of rapid update and for cheap tricks like upload/download.

All that said, the GS is also the only cheap backup device, insofar as making ROM backups. It also happens to be very useful when emulators don't work or can't work. It is also laden with some nasty hardware addresses and some strange memory access.

bloodyscientist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Today I saw this video regarding the Gamshark's ability to remove anti aliasing from games which I found very exciting. But the Gameshark is sort of a pain in the ass, because modern computers generally do not have serial ports and the gameshark software doesn't work all that great on new operating systems. I was wondering has anyone gotten the gameshark the gameshark to work with a serial to usb adapter? Also is there any difference in performance/compatability differences if I decided to go with the older gamesharks other than the fact that I would have to manually enter all the codes?

Thanks guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: