ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Read this if your Gameshark is unable to hook up to your PC!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Objectives: Complete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Read this if your Gameshark is unable to hook up to your PC! Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I can base this information on my personal experience. I get many emails regarding why a Gameshark will not be recognized by a PC using the utilities program. I was sent 2 bogus Gamesharks from Interact (years ago now) when using their GS upgrading program. You send in non pro, and then they send you pro versions for a slight cost. There are Gamesharks in existance, even new ones in retail boxes, that are defective. The defect is, that they do not have an actual LED part on the circuit board, and thus the port on the back is NOT working. I base this on many Gamesharks that I have tested and then returned to a retail store. Hopefully these pictures will claify what I'm talking about. Post your experiences here also. If there is no LED display part on the Gameshark that you are about to buy, then don't buy it unless you plan on manually entering all the codes.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have I think two defective sharks myself, and they are indeed just simply missing the LED. But I think there's more at work, because I stacked my good containing LED shark, on the bottom, put one of the missing LED ones, and afterwards could not boot up the missing LED shark. However, when I then stacked the bad missing LED now with another missing LED (that worked) on bottom, it started booting again.

It's possible the defect was known [or they just got cheap or ran out of LEDs] and software was modified accordingly.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've got one now, got it after my last good 3.3 died. I've had very bad experience with N64 GameSharks:

My first one was a 3.0, some codes required 3.3, I saw the thing on Interact's site about upgrading and sent mine in, after about three months I realized something was wrong, they had no record of receiving it, I didn't insure the package so I was screwed.

My replacement Shark was a 3.2, it didn't work at all, I took it back and swapped it for a 3.3, that lasted for a year or so but I accidentally killed it when I deleted a bunch of games out of the list to make more space for GE.

After that I got another replacement (3.2), which I jokingly say died of "old age," it just stopped working one day, acting the same way as the one I deleted games from.

I moved on after that, but my neighbor's son got me back into GE and I wanted to show him all the awesome things only available via GS, I bought a brand new Shark (3.3) but it was one of the "defective" ones without the LED, this wasn't an issue at the time since my computer didn't have the port needed.

Now my new computer does have the port, and I really want to play the new missions made with the setup editor on my console, but I'm really not sure if it'll be worth it or not, I don't want to pick one up only to have it die in a year or so, I read that there's an N64 flashcart in the works that might be better suited for playing those missions.

For comparison, I had one PSX gameshark through all that, 2.4 I believe, I deleted every game I didn't own from its list, no problems at all, still worked last time I used it, gave it to a friend since I hadn't used it since I got my PS2.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

N64 sharks are very flaky. My advice is buy a lot of 5 or so from a place that sells non-defective ones, and just not worry about killing them.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

honestly you can (in most cases) get them to unlock by reloading the console without a shark then trying again OR use a switcharooni method by putting in the game, off on, then the shark again, etc. etc. It should eventually unlock again.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've bought several v3.2s, both of which I've had no problems with.

Oh, and re: stacking sharks - I had the idea of stacking gamesharks in order to activate 2x the number of codes (502), but found out that didn't work.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:

Oh, and re: stacking sharks - I had the idea of stacking gamesharks in order to activate 2x the number of codes (502), but found out that didn't work.

Lol. That's a clever idea, but the limitation is actually storage space, not by the shark causing a limit.

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mine don't even work!They just stopped working! HOW DO YOU FIX THEM!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You need a good one of same version, and have a setup like:

Non-keycoded game
Bad GameShark
Good GameShark
N64

If you turn it on, and then enter game, it should reflash the bad one.

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do have both kinds v 3.3 both don't work and I'm itching to buy one off of EBAY!

Jac6
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
I've got one now, got it after my last good 3.3 died. I've had very bad experience with N64 GameSharks:

My first one was a 3.0, some codes required 3.3, I saw the thing on Interact's site about upgrading and sent mine in, after about three months I realized something was wrong, they had no record of receiving it, I didn't insure the package so I was screwed.

My replacement Shark was a 3.2, it didn't work at all, I took it back and swapped it for a 3.3, that lasted for a year or so but I accidentally killed it when I deleted a bunch of games out of the list to make more space for GE.

After that I got another replacement (3.2), which I jokingly say died of "old age," it just stopped working one day, acting the same way as the one I deleted games from.

I moved on after that, but my neighbor's son got me back into GE and I wanted to show him all the awesome things only available via GS, I bought a brand new Shark (3.3) but it was one of the "defective" ones without the LED, this wasn't an issue at the time since my computer didn't have the port needed.

Now my new computer does have the port, and I really want to play the new missions made with the setup editor on my console, but I'm really not sure if it'll be worth it or not, I don't want to pick one up only to have it die in a year or so, I read that there's an N64 flashcart in the works that might be better suited for playing those missions.

For comparison, I had one PSX gameshark through all that, 2.4 I believe, I deleted every game I didn't own from its list, no problems at all, still worked last time I used it, gave it to a friend since I hadn't used it since I got my PS2.

I used to be worried about killing my gameshark,
Though it makes it look like crap,
I only delete the codes in the folders
not the folders

And cool a hand!

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As I would usually say with deleted files and stuff like that thats why I use SharkWare 2.4 BETA.

SharkWare 2.4 is a gameshark but it connects to your computer through a plug you put into your USB port. It costs money, about 50.00 bucks mabey 60

TS_Death_Angel
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but wow, this sucks. I have tons of GS 3.3s and none of them have LEDs on the front. *HOWEVER*, my old GS which I recently broke (also a 3.3) did not have an LED but I did manage to hook it up to my computer. Anyway, you're right, the devices that are unable to connect to PC have no LED :/ :

Damn you, InterAct!

Erevan
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ColdshadowX wrote:
As I would usually say with deleted files and stuff like that thats why I use SharkWare 2.4 BETA.

SharkWare 2.4 is a gameshark but it connects to your computer through a plug you put into your USB port. It costs money, about 50.00 bucks mabey 60

Where we can find it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Objectives: Complete All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: