ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Lets establish a Goldenye Tournament scene !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Lets establish a Goldenye Tournament scene ! Reply with quote Back to top

OK.

This game may well be 10 years old this year, but it still plays wonderfully well, and is an almost flawless multiplayer game, as a 1 on 1 there is near no lag until explosives are thrown (correct me if I'm wrong).
There are no incredibly cheap tactics for a 1 on 1 (again correct me if I'm wrong) and the game is not "Broken" in any way (again as far as I know).

A good example of a game with a strong tournament/competitve scene is Super Smash Bros Melee.
look at sites like these:
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://aussmash.wetpaint.com/
and you'll see how passionate and excited people get about it.

So we should try and get out there and get people playing again.
It can be a prick to do so, too many people won't even give it a go and some that do, won't like it for the graphics or something.
I'll try and run a tournament sometime, either when i get my own house OR at the next Smash Bros Tournament as an after-event (if the orgainizers let me).
Having rankings and teams, and thing sliek that will do wonders for the game.
Also, posting multiplayer videos up will help.

Its worth a shot.

Arrow

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That would certainly be awesome. I'm impressed by that Aussie league...wow.

Maxout

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Be sure to to do the videos in second or third person behind the players. There's this one tournament of GE on youtube where they go back in forth. It wasn't that important to see what controllers they were using and they panned too many times anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://shootersforever.battlefieldforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=949

There was a discussion on the rules in there, also GE Master had a set of them too, we should decide on a universal set of rules to go by.

First up I think Auto-Aim should be off.
* And i wa sabout to add more but we have to go out for tea now so i'll leave it to you guys!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think this idea has my juices flowing...

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess the first thing to do would be to establish a universl rules set.
I think the ones you sent me are pretty damn accurate.

The only thing I would think might be changed is to make it first to 5/10 instead of 5 minutes.
Cause on a timed match you can run away and hide.
I guess the first to: could be entirely up to whoevers running the tournament, based on how much time they have, how many people etc etc.

DO you think and levels should be banned?
I think they are all fine the way they are.

What about weapon sets?
The only ones I can think that maybe should be gotten rid of is Proximity Mines and Slappers only, MAYBE Throwing Knives.
Me, personally, i love Proximity Mines but it can just become a long war of patience and strategy, and if you have 2 stubborn players...well.
Slappers would be very tedious, rediculous with body armor in there as well.

Also I see no reason not to allow all the new levels and weapon sets that are being made. It will increase everyone interest in the game and would be a great way to showcase the new stuff as well.

So yeah.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kills or time? I think with the use of newer Gameshark codes, something like a First to 2 points or you only live twice could work. That could effectively deal with the non random regen issue. I've thought about that quite a lot. You only live twice is the best because suicides will be more costly.

I agree, all levels available.

Slappers Only seems like the ony must remove weapon. The nice Gameshark codes can make every weapon on a level the same. It definitely takes strat away though. Not sure about the other custom sets. Suppose only makes sense to keep the default weapon groupings unless the players are familiar with the other ones. Perhaps the best weapon combos can be endorsed? Same with the new levels?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is kind of a tricky situation. We all have our own personal preferences when it comes to multiplayer. Having one set of rules is important, but it can also have a negative effect on certain players. It's good to keep everyone on the same page, though. The length of each round and how many points it takes to win the match is probably the first thing to decide on.

The concept of picking your character based on the stage can be argued as either good strategy or cheap tactics. Perhaps selecting your character prior to the map is a good way around this. If I choose the Naval Officer hoping that we'll be playing Archives, only to find out that the stage is actually going to be Facility, my chances of blending in with the background are completely diminished.

Weapon set choice and Map selection could be handled two different ways. a) pulling the name out of a hat, or b) rolling dice. There are twelve stages in the multiplayer menu, which is the max you can roll with two dice. Since you can't roll a one, Random is instantly discarded from the selection list, anyway. The rest of the levels may need to be reordered, which is up to you. Considering that there are fourteen weapon sets, three would need to be stricken from the list. Slappers Only! is a given, but the other two would be yours to decide. Of course, since this dice idea doesn't work as well with the weapons, drawing from a hat may be better. Besides, some people know how to roll a certain number every time. But if they can do that, they shouldn't be in a GoldenEye tournament, but rather at a Vegas craps table.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Suppose only makes sense to keep the default weapon groupings unless the players are familiar with the other ones. Perhaps the best weapon combos can be endorsed? Same with the new levels?"
Agreed.
Certain custom weapon sets might well be agredd on as being fair and fun and as such should become allowable.

@Wreck: I never would of thought about the dice idea, what a coincidence that it fits the number of weapons and levels pretty much perfect.

With, picking your character first, I think that is the best idea.
Pick your character and then thats it, no changing.
All characters allowed.

Now for a bit of info on SSBM.
This game is not Smash Bros, and as such many of the things like counterpicking and stuff is irrelevent, which is good I reckon...

1 on 1
4 Stock/Lives with an 8 minute time limit (to prevent stalling and lame tactics I guess. You rarely see a match last 6 minutes anyway)
No Items (Prevents it being a luck battle)
Usually its standard to have a best of 3 games, match so to speak.
If you lose the first match you can counterpick the stage or change character (sometimes both - it can be confusing all these rules at times)
In Smash this makes a huge difference cause certain stages suit certain charcters and certain characters counter certain characters.
So its a huge amount of strategy and knowledge on top of the actual skills.

And thats why I love Goldeneye, the best player is VERY often the one that will win, regardless of stages. Having said that there is room to practise certain types of guns/stages, or you might just be more experienced.
So its not completely irrelevant.

ANYWAY, my point is so:
Lets come up with the best way to do the countering/picking the next level thing.
If both players can agree on a weapon set/level, than that is sweet, and they can roll with that.
But yeah...

Issue # 2 (for this post) Body Armor:
How annoying, i think where possible it should be turned off....but not everyone has access to a Gameshark.
Dunno...discuss peoples. Smile

I think we are making good progress so far.
Wink

Maxout

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a serious tournament so there has to be rules we can all abid by. The place that's most annoying for respawn is the Temple. Plus there's only one armor so that level is not a good pick. The complex is perfect for this kinda thing. Plenty of armor and hiding places. And if you add my idea of setting points based on the style of play. That might work too. If we play this over the internet we have time for everyone's idea. Otherwise the only place that's doing it is GameJunkie in Ohio. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often in Washington.

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a thought, if any stages have a body armor too close to the top weapon it might be lame....
But I don't think its too much of an issue.

Now I love Proxy mines, but they should be banned in my opinion cause it makes games drag on too long.
I had a think about it and Throwing Kives should be too, for the same reason, if you have two good strafing players it could go on and on....
Remote Mines MAY be an issue....

I reckon radar should always be on as well.

Well, I think we have most of the "fairness" rules sorted, its just a matter of the format now I guess.

Maxout

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CA$H and Prizes For Winning Teams!!

Saturday, May 5th, 2007
Super Smash Bros. 64 @ NOON
Mario Kart 64 @ 1:30 PM*
Goldeneye @ 3 PM*

* - Events may start later than this posted time due to the length that previous tournaments will run, but will NOT start before the posted time.

$25 Entry per Player ($5 Savings!)

$10 Entry per Event

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAYMENT OPTIONS

Pay by phone:
- (513) 777-5740
Mon-Sat 11-9, Sun 12-5
We accept all forms of credit cards and we are a real store. This is your most affordable way to sign up early! You may also pay-by-phone using store credit.

Pay Online:
- You can go HERE to pay online with PayPal or any form of credit card.
A fee will be added to all line items of online signups to cover fees.

Online Signup Page will be up Tuesday 5/1

Pay in-store:
- 7132 Cin-Day Rd, West Chester, OH 45069
Mon-Sat 11-9, Sun 12-5
Pre-registration and day-of registration is available in store during store hours. You may also trade-in games and accessories and apply credit towards your entry fee, but please do this before the day of the event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL RULES

1. Please bring your own N64 controller for this tournament. A very limited number of controller may be available to borrow for the day with proper identification, but you should not count on this. q

2. Warm-up games will be allowed at the discretion of the referees and staff, and they will let you know what stations are available for practice and which ones will not be.

3. Do not quit out of a game without the permission of your station’s referee. If a player was not ready but a game did begin, please inform the referee of this as soon as possible so that the situation can be worked out and a re-start can be initiated. Quitting out of a game without referee approval will result in a forfeit.

4. Players and spectators must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Foul or abusive language is ground for an immediate disqualification of the entire team from the event without warning.

5. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.

6. The referee reserves the right to review a situation should a referee not be directly present at the time of game start or incident, and can make a ruling for a re-start or forfeit based on the review. The referee's decision is final.

7. Good sportsmanship extends both inside the store and out. Friendly conversation and gamesmanship is permitted, but comments or conduct deemed to be hateful or offensive in nature by the staff of the store may result in ejection from the tournament, forfeiture of prize money and banning from store grounds.

SPECIFIC EVENT RULES

SUPER SMASH BROS.
(1v1)

1) The tournament will be double elimination, seeding will be done randomly. All matches will be 4 stock, no time limit, weapons turned off.

2) Early round matches will be 2 out of 3 rounds. Bracket semis and finals are 3 out of 5 rounds, and the grand finals will be 4 out of 7 rounds. Initial stage selection is random, there are no banned stages.

3) The losing player after each round can either change the map or select a new character.

MARIO KART 64

1) Tournament will be a double elimination event. The opening round and Winner's Bracket will consist of one set of GP Races, and Loser's Bracket will consist of a best 2-of-3 in battle matches

2) The first round of GP Racing will be the Mushroom Cup, then Flower Cup, then Star Cup and then Special Cup, and will reset if another round is needed. Tiebreakers will be a single battle match.

3) In Battle Mode, each player picks their favorite of the battle tracks to compete on, a coin flip determines who goes first. If a tiebreaker is needed, a coin flip will decide who gets to pick one of the non-used tracks for the tiebreaker.

4) For the finals, GP Racing will be used. If the player coming from the loser's bracket wins (which gives both players one loss), then the Battle Mode game will decide the winner.

GOLDENEYE

1) The tournament will be Double Elimination and will consist of four-player Free-For-All Deathmatch games. Each round will be 2 games, cumulative score. The Top 2 players will move on to the next round.

2) Once the tournament is down to 2 players in the Winner's Bracket and 2 players in the Loser's Bracket, the matches will be 1v1. These will be a best 2-out-of-3 competition.

3) Four maps will be playable: Facility, Complex, Library, Temple. The first round of 4-player games will use Facility, then Complex, and so on. The first game of the 2-game set will use the Power Weapons weapon set, the second game will use the Automatics weapon set.

4) In 1-on-1 games, a coin flip will be done. The winner of the flip can pick either the map or weapon set. The loser picks the other. This selection alternates for the second game, and should a third game be required, the coin flip will be done again. A map can not be used twice in the same set of games.
PRIZES

Game Junkie will give out prizes equaling 70% of the total entry fees, so as turnout increases, so will your winnings! This will be referred to from here on as the "prize pool". The prizes will break down as follows:

1st - 60% of the prize pool
2nd - 25% of the prize pool
3rd - 15% of the prize pool

Here's how GJ did it, Mmov.

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds like a pretty good format.
And limiting to those 4 levels is....interesting. Not sure about Library though.
Seems pretty big. Good for a 4 player match though.
And 4 way matches are great in my opinion.
Some of my friends may disagree but I believe the best player will always win in a 4 way, even if there is small elements of luck.
They were using them as a seeding/pools/qualifying kinda thing as well, so it would be quicker, and besides its great fun.

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you change the date though to somethibg line June 11 or something..cause thats when I get out of school

Maxout

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you kidding, man? This thing is waaaay over, and they are a little stubborn about changing things. Wii is the only realistic way all the GE fans would ever get to play one another. It would have to be new years eve or some time of day in the world all us GE geeks had a free day...er..wait..some of us should.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: