ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark Editor Unfinished Never to Be Finished Release
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_carne_fria
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

this editor is secure? I want to make some maps, etc. It is very complex making maps?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You won't be able to do too too much in the PD Editor. It's mainly for viewing, though it does save. I don't think adding objects works well or at all.

AngerClams
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After seeing for the first time how well done and flexible your editor for ge for the the first time today its a bummer to find out this editor will never be completed

With the enhanced engine pd would be fun to make custom content for.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, but unfortunately it is the reality.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's just way too much work involved in reverse-engineering PD. There's hundreds of different action command alone, and to do those you really have to have a clear idea what data they're storing where. In GE much of this was known, but PD is a different story.

Right now the editor does the few things that we do know how to hack and that Krijy wrote up in the documents: you can move and change objects, set positions and spawns, and that's about it. If a few people really started work on PD, then maybe it would be more worthwhile to invest time into. Right now though there just isn't the support.

It really doesn't help that PD is much tricker to hack; you have to specially flash a GS to do anything useful at all, Nemu doesn't support it very well (this is the only emulator with breakpoint support), and most backup devices can't handle the large 512Mb games. So, besides reverse engineering it being a pain you can't really test what you've done ;*)

There's a lot that still needs to be done with GE, and concidering how much simpler it is in comparison that should be saying something.

AngerClams
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Word

I've worked enough with pc games and compressed and or encrypted data files with hex editors to know why it wont happen.
With the ge editor you have already gone above and beyond call of duty subdrag.

zoinkity:
Thats odd. Goldeneye has never ran well on my computer on any emulator Pd on the other hand in project64 with out a fps limiter averages out at 90fps with almost all graphics intact.

dr_carne_fria
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you think that some day perfect dark will have the same multiplayer maps haked that GE? or nobody is interest in making perfect dark better because perfect dark zero sucs

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It isn't interest, it's time. It took over a year before the GE editor was actually, really working and PD is so much more complex.

There's 64 different options for each object type, and only a few are known. There's over 200 action types, virtually none of which are known. There's a heap of stuff in the object model structure thats a total unknown - that goes for GE as well - but worst of all, nobody hacks it.

The big sticky is what to do with it then. I can't think of an emulator that allows roms over 512Mb, though according to the specs they should. That means if something doesn't fit, then something else gets the axe. Codes are too limitted for a major hack, and that's within the scope of this editor anyway. To upload, you'd need to use the GS upgrade feature to set the PDtrainer, which rules out a good many people right there.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't play it on my Dr V64 either, which is a turn-off, but the real reason is the sheer amount of time need is extremely significant, and having spent such an extraordinary amount of time on GE, I don't have the time anymore. It's a shame, but it's life.

Goldroger
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm wondering, if there is a resource site, where the known information about PD is stored. I'm one of the few people who are interested in hacking Perfect Dark (or at least have some time to do it), and to make some progress over time, it would be nice, to see, how far you got in the first place, so everyone interested doesn't have to start from scratch and do stuff, a lot of people before already did. I know there is krijy's document, but are there anymore useful documents or any unreleased stuff so far?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck made a bunch of documents when we started making the PD editor, as he was hacking. I can't quite find them, but I'm sure he'll post them when he notices this.

dr_carne_fria
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the editor, but how I can use that? It have a faq? Is difficult to make something?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's like the GE Setup Editor V1.0. No visual editor, just simply poke around non-visually. Can't even grab coords though sadly as well.

00Dark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag is so damn right and he has been as he's kept saying it. This unfinished editor is just as complete as the GoldenEye Setup Editor 1.0. You guys made fully playable multiplayer maps with it, as glitchy as it was, and we can do the same with this.

It can't grab coordinates, so we'll all probably have to do it manually using Krijy's FAQ. In the Edit Presets window the coordinates of already existing objects are displayed, the objects the Rare originally put there. We could use the coordinates of guards and such to place ammo boxes and weapons. All the guns and ammo would appear where guards normally do in the solo missions. You wouldn't have the freedom of placing your own locations (I call it cheap implimentation Razz). If you were really desperate for getting your own coordinate spot in order to avoid cheapness and maintain quality, then you could slave over Krijy's FAQ and try to figure them out yourself.

The rest of the multiplayer map could be done in the Edit Objects and Edit Intro Block windows. Simply add objects, guns, ammo boxes, and shields in the the Edit Objects window. Add the Hills and Capture The Case Bases plus the player spawn locations in the Intro Block editor.

You won't be able to patch your ROM to generate and post IPS patches, but you can still edit your binary setup and pad files to submit here. If you don't want to post everything all complicated and package it individually, you can still private message us your own ROM upon request, since posting them publicly is illegal (which is so freaking gay Sad ).

My point is that this editor is functional, though it does have painful restrictions. We can still outline our maps with it and convert them to GameShark codes just like BMW did with alot of his GoldenEye levels.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have something that will help soon. But it'll be using the GE Setup Editor. You'll be able to view PD levels, click and view the pads, and see what they would correspond to in the original PD setup file. This should help immensely, since you can simply use the pads they have there and swap which ones are used.

The PD Editor is like GE Editor 1.0, but not quite as functional. Adding objects and such probably won't work, not sure if adding pads will as well. It's sort of like making gameshark codes but should be easier. I believe saving setups does work, as long as you have only adjusted values, and if you read Krijy's FAQ you can add them in manually to the ROM, and you may also need to do a RE-CRC using tools such as rn64crc (included with ge editor, I think).

I know I added a gun to Deep Sea (the ones you start with) and it worked in-game. That's unfortunately about all I tested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: