GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye NOT on Revolution...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: GoldenEye NOT on Revolution... Reply with quote Back to top

I was just reading through the newest information regarding Nintendo's newest system code named Revolution. During the discussion of downloadable content, GameSpot listed details regarding what they know as of now. This is a direct quote from the page...

"We already know that Rare will not release Golden Eye for use on the Revolution, as Microsoft recently acquired the company."

You can read about that and more here:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6146540/p-3.html

So, I guess that's that.
I should have known better than to get my hopes up.
But if there's one thing we hackes do, it's hack.

Oh, by the way, did I ever mention how much I hated Microsoft?
(note: there is not an angry enough emoticon to display my feelings)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know when I double post that I've something on my mind. Rolling Eyes

Can anyone guess how many times I've played XBox? Once.
Do you know how many times I'm going to play it now? Zero.
If someone even thinks about asking me to go a round of Halo with them, I'll break that controller over their head and hang them with the wire. Bet they wished they were wireless by default now, huh? Mad

GE Master, do you think you could move this to the General section?

doctornull
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Im sure someone will just produce a pirate version anyway, loads of people did this for the dreamcast.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've figured it out...
Microsoft and Rare are afraid. They're afraid that Nintendo would re-release GoldenEye as a downloadable N64 ROM for play on the Revolution. Not only that, but the fact that there'd be graphical and processing improvements. There has even been rumours that some games will receive other beneficial upgrades, such as online gaming. And even though the game was made back in 1997, it's still better than anything they've put out in years. They know that it would make their newest offerings seem like garbage. It'd hurt them more than it would help them. People love GoldenEye. It's regarded as the first great FPS and the measuring stick of all others made since. It was designed by a company who, at one time, possessed a soul. Now they are nothing more than Bill Gates' puppets. You should be scared. Because you'll never make another game with even half the spirit of GoldenEye. Microsoft fears that gamers will realize that a good FPS means more than just fragging left and right. It takes heart and imagination to achieve greatness. Too bad they have neither.

Last edited by Wreck on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly, I agree with you Wreck, I HATE Microsoft. Actully on both sides, I hate them for Xobox and buying out Rare, and I hate them as a monopolistic software compnay (Debian Linux! Yay!).

Second, I actually dont really care too much about this. To get the hacked maps on there, there was gonna have to be some hacking involved anyway, and o get Citdel on there, we were definetly going to have to replace the ROM anyway. As long as the standard system and other ROMS is still in place for the Revolution, we can definetly get it on there. All we have to hope for is that the process will be easy, it has to involve a computer connected to the Revolution, which scares me. It may very much lessen the number who will play Goldeneye on the Revolution.

Of course, it would definetly be nice for Rare to release Goldeneye for the Revolution, but it really wouldn't make much difference. I doubt there would be any extras added in, any secrets unlocked, if anything, they would remove a couple things, but I doubt that too. Look at Zelda, the Beta Quest was still in the hacked Master Quest ROM for the Gamecube, they never cleaned it up at all.

UPDATE: I made this post before Wreck's third post. Yep, I somewaht I agree with that too. Not that their really scared, its just they have been trying to copy the N64's success. They copied Perfect Dark, they copied Conkers. Next in line is Goldeneye, they cant have it re-released for the Revolution, they want it all for them.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know, if it's anything like the GC re-releases, these will have a wrapper that emulates the necessary stuff. So, if you took any other microcode 1 game (ie: Mario64, or really half the library) you could emu GE on Revolution.

Once it's released, I sugest watching Dextrose.com like a hawk for the upload and wrappers.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it'd be possible, but even more illegal than simply hacking the game ROM. If it were officially released, it would seem as though they wouldn't care what you do with it. Since Rare and Microsoft are refusing Nintendo, they may take legal action if they found out about it. They'd seek out the source, then attack. And with the amount of money Bill Gates has, he could battle out a two million year court case.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This seems to be the truth although Nintendo hasn't officially said this. I still hold a small bit of hope on this. What it does reinforce though, is the importance of the next PJ64 with netplay that is coming soon. So long as they continue to push the boundaries of emulation, GoldenEye will still evolve. It's going to kick ass I'm sure of that. Of course computer upgrades might be in order!

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

regardless, i will still buy a revolution. hell, me and a few well known people could figure out how to hack a rom onto the revolution! might take a while... meh.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, here's something extra. I've dug around slightly about this. The guy from IGN talked to officials from Microsoft and Rare and they said no go. However, the Nintendo owned games that Rare did are open. Does Nintendo own GoldenEye? That really is the question. Honestly it sounded more like it was going to be up to EA on this. Now, think about EA and their corporate ways, and think about the money that might be negotiated. That may sway them since I'm sure the bond license has been a big money loser over the years.

In summary I'm not convinced yet that GoldenEye won't happen. It's unclear to me about the true ownership of it. When it was made, I think Nintendo probably owned it and Rare had nothing to do with ownership of it. It seems like the more recent games that Rare made for n64 like conkers, pd etc are not going to be available for the obvious reasons. I would suggest that Nintendo is still trying to work something out GoldenEye wise.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GE master pulls through again! this brightened my day. umm... the question now remains, will Diddy Kong Racing be available as well?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IT all depends on the liscense. NIndento completley owns some of the games produced by Rare (Diddy Kong Racing and stuff, all Donkey Kongs) so they WILL be on the Revolution. Goldneye However, only has a small chance. For it to be released on the Revolution, it has to be negotiated with Rare and EA, the current owner of the Bond liscense. No, Nintendo does not own that game, I belive Nintendo only owns games that include their beloved characters that have been around since they didnt even make CONSOLES (just a game company), or the early games for NES. ALthough logiacally, two part-owners of the game should make the situation worse, if EA turns around and really pushes MIcrosoft and Rare to get it on the Revolution, we might actually see it (of course if EA's involved, itll probrobly be like 20 bucks, 400% of other games, lol.) In my mind, its a little strange, we now have to hope EA gets greedy, Confused .

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, students.
Can you count how many fingers are in the GoldenEye pie?

RareWare acquired the Bond license in the early nineties, or maybe even before. They created the game and distributed it exclusively on Nintendo's console, the N64. Not long after, the rights to make Bond games were sold to Electronic Arts. Their first attempt with the license was a complete change up from the game that rocked the world. Using Tomorrow Never Dies as the storyline, it was designed in third-person perspective. TND was released on Sony's Playstation. Apparently they wanted a partnership with Sony, atleast until The World Is Not Enough came into play. Once again, the eyes of Bond were used in first-person view on the Nintendo64. Fast foward: the license stays with EA and is renewed for a few more years, Rare is boughten out by Microsoft, fans still loathe every 007 game made after GoldenEye.

There are three obstacles in the way.
A: EA owns the license to make Bond games.
B: Rare has an exclusive console contract with Microsoft, but not portable.
C: Negotiations between EA, Rare & Nintendo need to take place.

In my opinion, I don't think the big 'N' cares one way or the other about having GoldenEye on the Virtual Console. Why would they put up a fight over one game released back in '95? If it came down to Rare not letting any single game they've ever made for Nintendo being available for download, I could see them taking action or upping the price in order to pay off the company. Certain games were of Rare's own conception, which means that they alone have the exclusive rights. GoldenEye, however, is a Bond licensed title. Does that mean that EA has the final say? Maybe not full, but part. This is going to be an issue that will need a greenlight from all of those involved.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i have Tomorrow Never Dies, and it is not that bad for GC. i beat it, unlocked a few secrets, and never played multi, because it SUCKED! Goldeneye is a game worth fighting over. If it is not released, Nintendo should atleast make the game again, but as a knock-off. I have also played another GC James Bond title... and it was not too bad as well. nothing shall compare to Goldeneye... the controlling, the weapons, the multiplayer... it was a treasure. I played the James Bond follow up for N64.... and it shall never be played again. Even if Goldeneye is not placed on the Revolution, there will always be a loop hole... I just know it. Just like how you can make Sims have sex on The Sims... he he he... its twisted...

Think if Rare, Microsoft, Nintendo, or EA came across this. they might negotiate a little... who knows? I despise microsoft... as a Video Game Console company... the X Box 360 was bad.. a guy at school bought one, after I told him not to, and it burnt out. A game of his was melted... to be honest, I perfer cartrige games alot more. There is less of a wait to play. It is just better....

Jett... Out

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that Nintendo, Rareware, or Microsoft have any say in this. I think it's entirely up to the Bond license holder to decide.

Activision now has the license.

Last edited by The Extremist on Tue May 16, 2006 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: