ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

project I'm working on (for online multiplayer)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: project I'm working on (for online multiplayer) Reply with quote Back to top

Now that Mupen supports hacked roms for online multiplayer play, I have a small project I'm working on -

Frigate
Jungle
Facility Lab
Facility Bottling Room
Facility Midzone
Dam Frontzone
Aztec Midzone
Archives Courtyard
Depot Backzone

All crammed into one hacked rom. The above will replace the following:

Ump_setupameZ - library
Ump_setuparchZ - archives
Ump_setuparkZ - facility
Ump_setupashZ - stack
Ump_setupcaveZ - caverns
Ump_setupcradZ - cradle
Ump_setupcrypZ - egyptian
Ump_setupsevbZ - bunker2
Ump_setupstatueZ - statue

Then after menu mods, each level will will be selectable from the multiplayer menu!

The levels will be somewhat different from their gameshark counterparts in that I can keep ALL the original single player objects in the level. I can also put 8 weapon sets and 8 respawn points into each level.

It only took me about an hour to do the frigate (it replaces bunker), so this entire project actually shouldn't take me that long to complete.

Subdrag - I may eventually need some help finishing up the 21990 mods to make this all work properly.

moonraker808
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sounds interesting, can't wait.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's a great idea, look forward to it!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, few questions:

First, I can't seem to find in the 21990 mods exactly what I'm looking for.

The old method of gameshark coding involved 2 codes:

-Force-load the proper stage
-Point the loaded stage to the proper MP setup file.

How do I go about doing this? The closest thing I was able to do was to go into the stage options and point bunker 2 to the proper frigate bg/clipping files. But this also has an effect on the single player bunker mission which I do not want. Also, it uses all the bunker's texture allocation data instead of Frigate's data which doesn't work well.

How do I implement the gameshark equivalent of:

8002A8F7 001A
8103754E 58E8

???

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The forcing the stages is just not doing to happen - but you shouldn't need it. The only manual tweaking you might need to do in 21990 is -mvtx type allocation, and the weather swapping an id so it uses the right one.

The mp stage is missing because it's automatically figured out by the game. If you're loading in single player the setup UsetuprunZ.bin, it automatically adds the mp_ to make it Ump_setuprunZ.bin. So you can't actually modify which it loads (the mp name). Since if you choose to load Runway, and here it tries to find the file Ump_setuprunZ.bin, which doesn't exist, it crashes. You could rename one of the files manually in 21990 to that it is this name, but that's a real pain. This does pose minor problems in a lot of cases.

What I usually end up doing is overriding another setup, for example, ump_setupcradz.bin, which is cradle's multiplayer (I forget the actual name, something like that, maybe it's arec), then modifying the solo mission to be usetupcradz.bin. This unfortunately will mess up your solo levels, but barring adding files to the ROM (eventually I hope to do this..., but not soon).

Force load the proper stage can be done, but it's not really what you want to be doing here. You should instead be rerouting using 21990 the stages, then overwriting the right names (including multi), changing the right scale and those variables, changing weather, and then you should be fine.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm slightly confused, but I think that I did initially exactly what you described.

But how to I go about modifying the -mvtx value? Its greyed-out and unchangable. That is, unless you've changed that in future versions of the editor (which I haven't updated in a wh ile)

Also another question - how would I make a level such as cradle or statue (if I overwrite them) menu-selectable? Would that even be possible?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The -mvtx you need to Click Write 21990 File, open up the file and edit it, then import it back. The addresses are listed somewhere on these forums (and you screwed up which line was for which level) last time I think, but that's how you'd do it. Occasionally it's necessary, but not always, so I would do that last. I haven't made it editable because when I reoutput it, for some reason, it has to have weird spacing that I haven't figured out yet.

To make them selectable, go to the Multiplayer tab, it's on the bottom left. Only the ump_ ones there are available, but of course if you do your rerouting its fine. You may also need to use the image editor to modify images for the level.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can I assume that I'm modifying the 4p values?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it depends on the level - 4P means it only affects 4P settings. If it only has 1P, it uses default multi settings. Some of them have 2P, some don't have any and you need to modify the default skies. It depends on the level. Facility it shouldn't matter too much about the skies, but maybe allocation.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I modified the 4p settings for allocations and my texture problems are now gone.

Now I have another problem though - when I change settings on the multiplayer tab (menu pic, text, etc) and then write the settings to my rom, the results are NOT showing up. (all the old bunker stuff still appears)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's because you're using an old version where I screwed that up. Grab the newest and you should be fine. That bug was discovered a few weeks ago, but was fixed.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dood, having this hack would kick ass on so many levels! We all await this release.... I hope you can get to high speed internet and get some games in on your levels.

ColdshadowX
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This will go great if we have another tournament; thats what we should all have; one big tournament using the "goldeneye chat" and Mupen64K;

Question about the chat: Do you need Java 2 use it or the MIRC?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All is going smooth, I have the frigate, fully functional, fully loaded, working and loading properly with a menu mod in place. The rest should go fairly easily now.

I found though that tweaking memory allocation values even slightly can cause all kinds of problems. After much playing around, I got the Frigate to load, no blackouts, no texture problems, in 4 player, by using the Control Room's allocation values.

I also did away with the consoles, radios, etc. They were eating up too much texture space, plus they did kinda clutter up the level as a multiplayer map. That also considerably shrunk the size of my setup file, I was able to replace Stack's setup (a much smaller file) which leaves the 4 larger files for levels where I might want more objects.

What is also nice is that with all the original doors in place, framerates are somewhat improved.

I might also sneak a fully loaded train stage into this hack.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man, train, please, bring on Train!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: