ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

2.0 card slot?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: 2.0 card slot?!? Reply with quote Back to top

i noticed a cardslot or something on the back of the 2.0 gameshark.

what is it? what did it do?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure its just a heatsink. tere is no complicated wiring insid, just four on each side elevated metal pieces. If you rip it off and examine it, you will see it's clearly a heatsink, although with a strange design that looks like a card reader.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dang... hopes up for nothing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It really is a cardslot.
Interact was going to release data cards for certain titles that included a ton of GameShark codes on them. You just slide it into the back of the cheating device, start up the console, then download the new cheats. To my knowledge, they've only ever made them for two or three different games. Mortal Kombat Trilogy (or 4) and an RPG like EverQuest are the ones I can remember. You could try looking it up on the Internet, if you'd like some more information.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i took it apart, and there isnt much inside. only exactly 8 flimsy rods. i am not sure what they were used for. hmm...

wreck, if you could back this up with a link, id be happy. ill go digging for a bit. ill tell you what i find.

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Holy Crap, I cant believe that thing is a card slot! Here is a copy of the Gameshark Manual, it mentions it as a "Smart Card Slot"

http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/manuals/nintendo_64/game_shark.shtml

That looked sooo much like a heatsink though! Oh well, apparently they had planned to use it in the future when they made the product, but it was pretty-much scrapped. Most likely because expanding the memory on an already unstable barely working piece of crap basically, was too risky. I wonder however, if its possible to take advantage of this card slot, if it had originally been intended for a standard flash card, maybe its possible to add codes from the PC using these eight connections and avoid getting a good gameshark ....

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Im working on a little project involving my gameshark Wink . Can someone please take their Super Gameshark (Something with the rs232 port on its back Smile ) and try to take good pictures of the circuitry? Particularily the port connections. I have some experience with serial connections and rs232 ports and such, and I have tried (I believe sucessfully, but i can't be sure, its a long story) in the past to convert 9-pin to the 25 pin rs232. Smart Cards such as the one on the back of the gameshark 2.0 are standard, if I can make an accurate connection it may act like it was a port and I can upgrade my firmware to 3.2 or 3.3 or something. Also transfer codes. Smile Of course, it may not work since the GS 2.0 was not made for a PC connection. But I assume (im not sure, I havent looked at a Super GS' circuitry) that Datel or Interact or whoever was ery lazy with the Gamesharks, and only had two "real" models, the rest are just the same boards with firmware updates. One with a port, and one with a smart card, they might not have even changed much, im thinking they converted the smart card to a port and slapped a firmware upgrade on it, so I think a computer connection may be possible.

Anyway, back to point, somebody please take pics of thier Gameshark (with a port). Thanks in Advance.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://hcs.freeshell.org/images/gspro33.jpg
and...
http://hcs.freeshell.org/images/gspro33b.jpg

off of google. best i can do. it should work. both are from a 3.2 i believe. have fun...

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I cant believe I didn't even see those! I think this might be feasible, just found a pretty relative doc on it: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/smartcard/pc2videocrypt.html

However, it turns out I might need to actually buy something, ewww. Very Happy I am the cheapest persion the planet, it talks about some voltage converter or something, as well as some open driver circuit thing, which sounds more important than the voltage converter. Pfft, I got a 2-buck gameshark, Im just gonna see if I can do without it. Very Happy Now I might have something to do with my good ol soldering iron besides fixing my crappy headphones!

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ehh... too lazy to read it... umm.... keep me posted on your progress. i wouldnt mind being able to hook my 2.0 up to pc, if that is your plan, of which i am assuming it is.

lol. i am cheap too! i didnt even pay for my nintendo stuff. got it from my brother or my dad bought it. thats what happens when you are a teen, eh?

00Dark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i really hope that u can figure out how 2 hook a gs 2.2 to a pc cause i got one one ebay and it came yesterday but it crapped out (the led is the only thing that works;the rest of it wont start up) and i want 2 reflash it and correct it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: