ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Work in Progress] Multiplayer Pak - Surface added 10/02/07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, that's odd. I've tried patching both an unflipped and a byteflipped ROM, but haven't had any success with either. After applying one of my own patches, the game loaded up without issue. The settings for the ROMs were all reset to the specifications given on the GoldenEye Vault website. Could there be something else at work here?

Edit: Sheesh, I just came back to mention that I'm working on a brand new PC, which has some crazy English / Francais keyboard that is a pain in the rear. It seriously just took me about two or three minutes to make that bold "Edit" tag. It's gonna take some time to get used to. Next time, I'll just use the bloody quick tags. Anyways, I'll need to download Hex Edit before I can take a look at how the ROM comes out after patching.

Edit: Alrighty, I downloaded Hex Edit. Aside from that, I tried to load up the patched ROM in the Editor through Image Tools. Before it can finish, a window pops up. It says, "Error: Error Decoding Third Level". When you click the "OK" button, another window appears. It reads, "Error: Not 1172/1173/1F8B0800 Compressed". This window repeats multiple times, until an "Out of Memory" message occurs. My custom ROM loads without these warnings. Any ideas, Sub or Zoinkity?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I can think of is that my original rom MUST be different in some way than the one you're using. Otherwise your results make no sense at all.

EDIT - This goes for anybody out there - I have a link to my patched rom. I know I can't link to them legally - if you want a link, PM me. GEmaster confirmed that the patched rom works fine on mupen.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I found the problem. Well, atleast my problem. It turns out that the patch I'd downloaded earlier was incomplete. The IPS must've ended abruptly during the transfer. Once I redownloaded the full file, it worked properly. This could also be what has happened to some others here, so everyone should go get the patch again, and make sure it is the size BMW listed it as.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Finally finished my surface mod. It uses up about 1/2 of the original map. I kept the white and grey theme and limited my filler objects to grey ones.

FIXES:
-Bullets travel properly through windows
-Bullets don't travel through walls

MODS:
-Level scaled down in size slightly
-Visibility set to max mp value of 0.66

KNOWN ISSUES:
-Visibility can't be set any higher, so objects way off in the distance are not visible. I scaled down the level just a tad bit to correct some of this but I couldn't scale down any further or else the cabin windows would be too low (Bond too tall)
-Visibility is further reduced in 3 and 4 player mode
-The clipping mods for room 6 cause player to visibly vanish for a split second when both players are walking around in room 6. This is a small area and thus a very limited situation. This is the sacrifice for the bullet-wall fixes.
-Players 2-4 will encounter some see-through visibility issues when walking near walls. For some reason this doesn't affect player 1

The other issue I recall wreck bring up a while back was bullets through snowbanks. I've pretty thoroughly tested this, and while bullets sometimes will vanish into a snowbank, I couldn't find any places where they actually come out the other side. So hopefully this is a non-issue with this map.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Surface looks awesome! In the end maybe just modify the Statue image in the image tools to Surfaces.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah once I get all my levels done (I only have 3 slots left) then I'll put on the finishing touches, like menu image mods.

I have 3 slots left. Tentatively I'd still like to do a control room map, an archives backzone map (similar to my courtyard map) and finally either a jungle hack or a runway hack. We'll see. I probably won't be working on these for a while though.

btw - I do still have a little available space left in my setup file for surface (used statue setup file) - do you think I should add some more random objects into the map, or leave it alone? I don't want it too cluttered, but I want sufficient cover for traversing the stage.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Sub, the Surface turned out really nice. You definitely picked a good object model to use as a backdrop boundary. I also like the big blocks that were placed around the map for cover. They help fill out the otherwise very open landscape well. I did notice an area where the second player went invisible over by the fenced in cabins, but only in a very small section. In an actual battle scenario, I doubt you'd really notice it. The MP Pak is coming along great, and I look forward to the remaining few stages. Smile

Have you just been using the Convert ROM function? The 21990 Modifications Menu allows you to inject files that are either larger or smaller than the original, as well as rename them (like for an MP Surface i: Ump_setupsevxZ). That way, you're not restricted to a specific filesize. Just make sure to use the option to remove the debug data and Japanese language files so that everything fits.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I did notice an area where the second player went invisible over by the fenced in cabins, but only in a very small section.

Here is the exact area which is affected (see yellow area)....

The problem is a direct result of me changing the room id of the clipping in that room to match that of the fenced-in room. This was the only fix I could come up with to stop bullets from traveling right through cabin walls.

As for the walls (fake stage boundary walls) in that room - I had to re-id the clipping tiles of just the tiles which those walls are on back to the original room. Otherwise the walls suffered the same vanishing act that players occasionally suffer while walking in the room. Probably just a result of players walking on clipping with the incorrect room ID.

But looking at that image - it just hit me - the fenced in area is completely encircled by the surrounding room - could this be the bullet-through-wall culprit? Maybe when you're standing in that room, bullets are simply trying to travel to the other side of the room, hence ignoring the inner room? I suspect this MIGHT be the problem. I can't think of any other stages that have rooms completely surrounded by other rooms.

IF my theory is correct - I could actually change 1/4 of that room (any 1 of the 4 sides) back to the original room ID, as the inner room would no longer be surrounded. That would shrink down the affected area. I'll have to play with that and see what happens. Would also confrim if this is indeed what is causing the bullet-through-wall problems.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

Have you just been using the Convert ROM function? The 21990 Modifications Menu allows you to inject files that are either larger or smaller than the original, as well as rename them (like for an MP Surface i: Ump_setupsevxZ). That way, you're not restricted to a specific filesize. Just make sure to use the option to remove the debug data and Japanese language files so that everything fits.

Yeah, everything has been using convert and using the original setup file names. So far it hasn't been a problem. Once I get each stage done, I just use the smallest available of the remaining setup files. In fact I still have one very large one left (archives). For the remaining 2 slots though its slim pick 'ens, maybe I'll resort to that method when the time comes.

Question though - If I were to rename file names to their solo-counterparts, could I get the proper music to play in each level? Because as-is, any of the mp-only maps that I've been modifying use random music. If that were the case, I might rename everything in the end.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Music is based entirely on the Stage ID. The multiplayer only maps (Temple, Complex, Caves, Library, Basement, and Stack) don't actually have a block dedicated to them. Instead, they use the random track list. The name of the setup file won't affect the outcome of the music, though. If you're having to use a new Stage ID, like for your two extra Facility based maps, you'd need to modify one of the other blocks. I'd suggest choosing the Citadel ( 28 ) and Sho ( 2A ) music blocks, since they aren't used by normal means. By changing the identification value, as well as the song, you'll set your level to use the proper track. You can even set a different one, if you'd like. Some of the 'X' versions are pretty good. I was using the 'X' themes for my Backzones / Frontzone, just to change it up a little. You could listen to some of them, see how they fit.

moonraker808
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice job; if you wonder where I have been, well I've been trying to learn how to use blender. I am sort of getting the idea; anyways hopefully I will be able to get some real textuing done on my level.

With regards to your multi player pack, it looks awsome and I am going to try it out right away!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Keep in mind when trying it out that this is still only a beta version. I've just found another surface issue - when standing on top of the satellite building, you can shoot through the cabin wall way off in the distance (the fenced in cabin) so I'm gonna play with the clipping on there and see if I can fix it. If its not fixible I might just have to re-angle my boundary wall such that you can't see the cabin area from the top of the satellite building.

re: music - That's something I'll take a look at when I have all my levels done.

I've been playing around with a streets map. Problem with streets is that framerates are horrible. I might have to restrict it to a small portion of the streets - probably the area with the walk-in buildings. I'll call the level, if I get it working, "The Ghetto"

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I found the same problem with the Streets. I've tried two different versions so far, utilizing both the beginning and ending areas, but neither one performs well enough to make a good multiplayer map. I'm probably going to leave it alone and select a replacement stage.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok everybody, I think I'm finally ready to work on finishing this thing up. I still have a few clipping issues with the surface I'd like to fix, only other problem is that its been so long since I worked on this project that I've kinda forgotten exactly what all files I've patched to the rom. I have them scattered about on my computer - NOT a good idea for a project which requires modification of this many files.

Anyways - any suggestions out there for the 3 remaining slots?

Streets is out of the question. As badly as I wanted to use a portion of that level, framerates are pathetic, even with ONLY ONE SINGLE ROOM MODEL LOADED! Translation - Streets ain't happening.

Aztec Bay (midzone) - I'm not experienced enough with clipping modification to accomplish with the bay what zoinkity was able to accomplish with gameshark codes, so for now, aztec is out too.

I'm leaning towards a runway mod for one of the levels. Another level I'd like to use a slightly modifed version of my custom-built library (from my library mission) - I'd keep it pretty much as-is but maybe open up a few areas to allow better traversal of the level.

The third and final slot, I don't know. Jungle is a possibility. Archives backzone (similar to archives courtyard) is a possibility. Control room is also a possibility, though I haven't had much luck with framerates in the control either. That stage tends to lag even with lower cpu usage.

So I'm open to any suggestions.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I've found the rom in mupen giving "bad dump" error message at start up. It will run fine, but online wise, it's going to confuse people. Pehaps it's what I've done, not sure. Anyone else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: