ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

possible fix for surface (level) bullet glitches in MP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: possible fix for surface (level) bullet glitches in MP Reply with quote Back to top

I was looking at surface trying to figure out why bullets don't properly travel through cabin windows. In the editor, I see that the cabins consist of an inner and out room model, both of which have windows in them. My best guess is that the problem is something related to having overlapping windows.

So, the fix? Simply re-id the clipping inside the cabins to match the room number of not the inner room, but rather the outer room. That way bullets are only travelling through one window. Upon testing, it seems to work, bullets hit things outside of the cabin instead of travelling through thin air.

Visibly, with gloabl visibility set to all rooms, this doesn't cause any problems visibly. With portals in place, however, things might be problematic if you're standing inside the cabin, I'm not sure as I haven't tested it that way just yet.

Anyways, this finding may eventually lead to a surface level playable in multiplayer.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, that's kind of odd. But when you re-id'ed the inner clipping, then when you're inside won't it display the wrong room? I thought bullet clipping had nothing to do with clipping, but instead the primary displaygroups can be shot, and secondary (such as railways) could be shot through.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, you'll be in the wrong room, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The inner room then becomes used strictly for the purpose of being visible and nothing else. So long as you can see it properly, it won't matter. For the purpose of gameplay, being in the outer room instead of the inner room shouldn't affect anything.

As for bullets - it is important what room Bond is standing in, is it not? Because the bullet has to know what room its coming from.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On further testing, I've tracked it down to this:

The one room which contains the 2 cabins - bullets travel properly and hit things properly within that room, so long as Bond is standing on clipping with that particular room ID. HOWEVER, standing in ANY OTHER ROOM, bullets travel right through the room.

But it looks like in the editor it IS set as a primary room. So I really don't understand what the problem is.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just be careful that Rare liked to put a ton of secondary and primary in the same positions, though usually secondary was above primary so you'd click that.

Maybe something like the room is not loaded unless you're in it? Or something weird. I have no idea.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Through some clipping room changes, I have successfully gotten the fenced-in cabins to behave properly. I actually had to re-id both cabin rooms as well as the room surrounding the fence all to match the same room number as the fenced in room. The far back cabins I could NOT get to work no matter how I id-ed the rooms. The other cabins, as best I can tell, SEEM to work properly.

So, that means I have to rely on global visibility. This isn't a big deal since there are no doors that close off any portals. The only problem is through the trees where the level curves around, so I'll have to manually put up a solid wall blocking off the one portion on the left. I can wall off the remainder of the level with the back side of wall screens (they're pure white).

If all goes well - here is the map I'm looking at making:

I will have to test framerates though, we'll see what happens.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That would be sooo much more fun than the original.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm wondering something. Would it be possible to take a room from the level background and use it to recreate the forest edges for the now blank areas? That way, it'd look completely natural. It should be possible, but you'd need to decide on the room to use. Perhaps you could give it a shot?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In theory something like that could work but that would require very complicated clipping mods because of the ragged edges in the current rooms - the forrest line would not line up perfectly.

Now you could find a plant object that could be stretched out - problem is they're all tropical plants. Pure white walls seem to be the only practical approach.

Unless someone out there figures out a way to apply the tree texture to a different object such as a wall (door).

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:

Unless someone out there figures out a way to apply the tree texture to a different object such as a wall (door).

It's pretty easy to do, multiple ways. The simplist way is to just edit the texture it uses. The texture viewer now lets you see what every object uses, so you should be able to modify it, though the tree may look a bit stretched. You could also go into the model itself and modify the C0 8-byte command to refer to a different texture # (could add to end of ROM using the texture editor as well).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Though this would be more work, I think I'd be able to pull it off fine. You could choose a room model that has a decently sized forest area, one as straight as possible, remove all of the data not pertaining to the tree wall, and make a new room model to use along the edges. If there is no portal data necessary for your map, there'd be no worry for creating them to fit the new forest properly. It's an idea. I also thought that you could take certain things from stages and use them in new ones, or add more into the current level. Such as the lookout towers in Surface, or the cabins, as well as the tower in Jungle. They'd require clipping, but that should be do-able.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I stayed away from including the lookout towers because of the ladder clipping - I'd like to avoid ladders if at all possible (for obvious reasons).

I'm still a little confused about exactly what you want to do - do you want to actually make modifications to the room models themselves? Still seems like clipping would be a royal pain. Clipping mods have been a major headache for me (at least thus far) and whenever I try clipping mods I end up screwing up the other clipping already existing in the level (re: train importation into depot). But hey, if you play around with anything and have any success, I'd like to see it.

I think it would much easier, and with similar results, to just apply tree textures to another object where you can simply force collisions.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:

I think it would much easier, and with similar results, to just apply tree textures to another object where you can simply force collisions.

I agree there. That should work pretty well. Doing anything with clipping is inviting everything to break, due to it's complete finickiness and my not supporting multi-point tiles, among many other problems.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know this might sound silly but the absolute easiest thing to do would be to replace the secondary mapping for the room which undoubtedly includes those trees and instead write the trees into the primary mapping. Even if it trashes the alpha, you'd still get nice solid walls. Besides, you can then flatten the image to whatever color you like; black, white, puce, lime, etc.

While you're at it, if you make the railings for the sniper towers secondary mapping you can allow people to fire through them, including guards. As it stands, you can make a sniper but he usually shoots the bloody rail. Even Jaws tends to hit it...

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is gonna be tricky, but I would ultimately like to utilize the one beta unused landscape which exists in the game....

(enlarged for detail)....

This is a series of 8 different 20x40 images. Though I admittedly have no idea which objects I could apply these textures to (even if split up into the common 20x20 images) to make it look right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: