ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Caves Mission, Updated Sept 5th...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Caves Mission, Updated Sept 5th... Reply with quote Back to top

I thought I'd treat you fine fellows to a few samples of what's to come. One of the reasons why I haven't released any new multiplayer maps is due to this little project. Thanks to SubDrag & Zoinkity's fantastic GoldenEye Hacking Docs, I've been working on something that has interested me for a long time. A brand new mission. I'm not too deep into it yet, as it's going to take me a while to complete. The objectives have all been planned out, as well as where the enemies and objects are to be positioned. Figured out the conversion method for making compressed coordinates for presets, so there's no problem there. Even got around to learning the proper method of placing the intro cameras. Not only that, but the in-level briefing works correctly. It's going smoothly, but it's only going to get harder near the end. Enemy behaviours could be tricky. I'll have to keep reading those Docs and try one thing at a time.

Enough talk.
You want those screenshots! Very Happy
(photos taken to look like old Nintendo Power pictures)

Updated Frequently!

The Mission Folder

The Introduction Camera (one of many)

Bond's Starting Position

An Enemy Waiting Patiently

Moneypenny's Words of Warning

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More pics added on April 8th, 2005...

Q's Generous Assistance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More pics added on April 10th, 2005...

Briefing Folder w/ Q Branch Information

An enemy who is clearly bored of my slow progress rate

Last edited by Wreck on Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:12 pm; edited 7 times in total

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Holeeee Crap! This looks NICE! And so far very very well done. I guess from the pics you hacked some text codes to make the breifings and intro location text, messed with player position cameras, I can comprehend that. But how in god's name are you going to create new background data, and clipping data. Setups been done, and been hacked several times, although stuff involving enemy paths and actions im sure would be hard. Clipping had been done, although hard. But background data modification I have never seen, but Im guessing you, Zoinkity Subdrag has ... somehow. Again .. holy crap. I can predict it now "This code is over 5 million lines .. Smile . Heh, nice choice of words for MoneyPenny, gotta love that pun at the end.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, KC. Wink
I'm not actually using any new background or clipping data, it's all directly from the Caves map. It's basically the stage we know from multiplayer, but made into a mission. By writing a completely new setup file and uploading it to the console, the level will play in single-player mode. Both the intro cameras and briefing text were made from scratch. This is no simple modification, like the multi maps I've made. It's something completely new and original. Very exciting to bring it to life.

Rare brought some light humour into the briefing files for Q and Moneypenny, which I'm trying to follow. The world of Bond isn't one hundred percent serious, afterall. Razz

By the way, does anyone know the real location of the Mainstrike Mine?
It was an old abandoned silver mine near the San Andreas Fault.
Perhaps the location should be "San Andreas, California"? Question

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did some quick research, one site kinda pointed toward San Francisco, since the bady guy tries to kill its mayor (I never seen the movie "A view to Kill" , or cant remember it actually) However, I did find a reference to a movie poster that gave a hint that the Mainstrke Mine was beneath Silicon Valley.
Quote:
James Bond 007 A View to a Kill RARE Smiths poster 3
Last Price: GBP0.99
Ending Date and Time (GMT): 2004-11-03 18:56:30
James Bond-A View to a Kill Roger Moore as James Bond and Tanya Roberts as Stacy Sutton in the mainstrike mine, beneath Silicon Valley in California. Rare Smiths (Crisps) poster promoting A View to A Kill starring Roger Moore. Poster is in used condition, there are a few small pin holes a small pieec missing at the top (1cm wide) and other minor wear. On the whole in very good condition for its age. To be honest, in a frame you wouldn't notice these, and because the image is so big it is very unnoticible Size = 60x90cm or 24x36 inches. Factory folded, has been kept like this and will be posted this way. A scarce item. A scarce item. Please see my other two posters, will combine postage on multiple wins. Need any more photos, just e-mail me. Postage: UK: £1.30 Europe: £1.98 Rest of world: £2.73 All items are sent well packaged for safe delivery. Any questions please feel free to e-mail me. If you would like a cheaper uk or overseas rate, please contact me. All prices stated abroad are for Airmail and for the UK (1st class), if posted as surface mail or second class, items can be posted much cheaper but will take longer to arrive. [IMAGE] Powered by eBay Turbo Lister

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's either San Francisco or San Andreas. Confused
I watched the film about a week back and wrote a bunch of things down. Names, locations, details. There's one scene where Bond and Stacey are looking at a map of the area. Written on it is: Mainstrike Mine, San Andreas Fault, and Hayward Fault. I don't think they were in Hayward, California. I believe they were directly below the San Andreas Lake. After Zorin had detonated some explosives, the water was drained, leaving a fisherman and his boat on the dried up bottom. If I had the DVD, I'd skim through it and listen very closely. VHS tapes take too damned long to fast forward and rewind. Mad

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Made a small update.
When I take new screens, I'll add them to the original post. Smile

Nothing new really done today, except for cleaning up the Q Branch text. I also stuck a key into the stage that will be held by a certain enemy. It's been renamed using the briefing file data, just like in other missions.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actions are probably the easiest thing you can do. Paths might be trickier, since they interlink so heavily.

I can't find the setup uploader that isn't stupid, but for some reason I'm thinking it was a slight change in the GS-side code that actually made it work properly. Otherwise, it tends to write over the check value.

The background data file has been hacked a couple times, mostly for stupid little things like turning off all the mountain faces in Dam or switching certain rooms in Silo. The rooms themselves are trickier (at least in GE) since they are dynamically loaded whenever view is likely, direct from Rom. You *can* replace them console-side, but it is very nasty. A BG hack was used in the Facility Vents code.

PD on the other hand is much easier. Isn't that right, Wreck?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD...easy? I wouldn't put those three words together anytime.
Hacking that game was a pain in the arse. I never did get around to finishing that G5 Building (Mission version) map in the Combat Simulator. It didn't want to work on console. Conversion may have been off, but something was always fishy about that stage. I also was testing it using an older version of PJ64 that ran like crap, required you to type in every code by hand, couldn't edit cheats, and had bad textures. Perfect Dark is far from Perfect when it comes to hacks. Confused

Zoinkity, I have to ask you about the guard actions. Typical guard actions for most stages are set at "00 02". This is the basic stand and wait for Bond procedure. When I set that to my Caves Mission, the game lags horribly when an enemy loses sight of me. Apparently it can't register what to do in that situation. They don't know to follow me around the map. It's something to do with the first pointer data in the setup file. If I remove it from another mission, such as the Archives, the same thing happens. When I copied out that data and pasted it into my Caves, the enemies respond better and the lag disappears. However, once I'm out of range, or an enemy is triggered from noise without knowing where I am, the game crashes. Something tells me that I may need to write out new data specifically for the level. No idea how to do this. I'll keep testing new things and see what I can come up with.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Sweet...your Caves mission Reply with quote Back to top

That kicks some serious keester. Wow!! That level shoudl be interesting to play. Don't burn out your corneas from staring at the tv screen...LOL. God knows I probably have. Peace

Streets 2player w Objects should be finished soon. Haven't had time to finish it just yet due to wifey being pregnant. Stupid thing has some problem reading the ENABLE ALL PLAYERS code so I'll probably have to adjust the addresses to 4 player repawns and rewrite the object addresses , not hard just time consuming. I'll start working on a Frigate level next with vehicles using flag and weapon crap and computer terminals and other office stuff using glass presets. First I'll type up Surface, Runway, and Streets (2 Player ONLY temporarily for Streets) and release the codes for GE MASTER aka Graham Cracker and the GE brotherhood to start blasting. Peace Very Happy

Nekojin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote Back to top

Looks great,

when do you think are you going to release some codes?^^

Really want to play this.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been looking over the setup file for stages such as Runway and Archives, trying to determine what each of the ten pointers do to the level. Obviously some are much easier to figure out than others. The intro block, object programming, and presets are fairly simple to learn. However, the others aren't so kind.

The final two pointers don't even seem like they need to be on. Setting those pointers to "00 00 00 00" doesn't screw anything up in the map. I'm not sure what it is that they do exactly, but they direct to text strings that follow the Plinkdata.

The sixth pointer appears to control certain objective functions and spawned objects. It sets up how some objectives will be completed or failed, if a character dies or an important device is destroyed. Like when Natalya spots you in the Archives, or the aeroplane requiring the ignition key to use it.

The fifth pointer defines the main guard paths. Selectively choosing which presets to use and in what order. They don't seem to use the regular preset number, but rather a new ID that's assigned by the first pointer in the setup file.

The first setup and second setup files are what's throwing me. The first one lists out all of the presets that will be used by paths in reverse order. Archives uses "0AC"-"000". Meaning, if a path is using "002", it's actually read as "0AA". The second pointer uses that information and appears to form additional paths. Not sure who these are used by. But the first pointer includes more data yet. It stays inside the boundaries of the presets chosen, and doesn't form guard paths. These two work very much hand-in-hand. I believe that they determine the reactions of characters. Turn them both off and the enemies won't know what to do when they lose visual contact with you. The game lags for about ten seconds, until it stops trying to process the guard routine. If you reset the second pointer to stop it from reading, the game crashes when an enemy loses sight of Bond, or is unable to locate where the noise came from. Certain death animations may also crash it, but I can't say for sure.

After checking all of this over, I can see why you and Sub were having difficulty figuring out the path data. So much interconnecting information in different areas of the setup file. I really don't care if I have patrolling guards in the Caves, but it'd be nice not experiencing lag or lock ups whenever I approach a guard... Confused

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck the man!! This is crazy. Ground breaking work no doubt about it. Wow. I guess I'm wondering this. Once completed will it run or play any differently than the default missions??

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It should play like any other one. You'll just start the mission, upload the file, then attempt to defeat May Day and disarm a bomb. Phew, sounds like 007 has his work cut out for him. Not to mention me. Razz

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

heh... more amazing work. now this made me bring up this question: for most hackers, is it just a hobbie or a way of life?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It begins as a hobby, then turns into an occupation.
Take it from me, hacking is not always a fun thing to do. Confused

Added two new pics, as well as an updated screenshot of the intro cam. You'll not only notice the new title, but there are also a few more guards placed around the area. They haven't been rotated yet, so some are staring into walls. This will be taken care of soon. Once I have new info, I'll be sure to post about it. Smile

By the way, I changed all of the pics to thumbnails to save bandwith for ImageShack. They're nice enough to host my images for free, the least I can do is help them out that way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: