ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Computer activated doors...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Computer activated doors... Reply with quote Back to top

How do you assign a console to open a specific door, like the ones in Facility?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think there's a link object in the Objects window. Also action blocks could prob do it by activating a console and opening a door. I think there is a linked object though, only accessible by the objects menu.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think there's a link in the object window. How can I do it with action blocks? I find them confusing!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First read both of SubDrag's action block tutorials if you haven't already, then do what I describe in this thread:

http://shootersforever.battlefieldforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=2151

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Dragonsbrethren! Can you please post the actual actions. Thanks again!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sure.

Code:
1000:
 0200 Resume If Return Value Loop Met
  03 Leave The Routine, But When Return Continue From Spot
  5C0101 Go Into Return Value Loop If 16 Object # Activated  (Standing Console...
  0100 Go To Beginning, Then Return Value Loop
 0201 Resume If Return Value Loop Met
  68000102 Check Door Status, Return Value Loop If Met  (Grey Swinging Door)
 0202 Resume If Return Value Loop Met
  6600 Open Door  (Grey Swinging Door)
  04 Terminator

That opens the door when the console is activated.

Code:
1001:
 0200 Resume If Return Value Loop Met
  68000101 Check Door Status, Return Value Loop If Met  (Grey Swinging Door)
  D0010032 Change Animation Type Of Type 16 Monitor  (Standing Console, No Screen)
 0201 Resume If Return Value Loop Met
  D0010031 Change Animation Type Of Type 16 Monitor  (Standing Console, No Screen)
  04 Terminator

And that changes the console's screen to red when the door isn't open. Make sure you update the values for the objects, unless your door and console just happen to be objects 00 and 01.

If you don't understand why those work I can explain them to you in more detail. Action blocks aren't all that hard once you understand how they work.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks again! I have a vague idea of how they work. what confuses me is whether to use loops, if so where to use them. I read the Action Block tutorials last night and I do understand them more now, but I know that I'll have to try a few things to understand them more.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you almost always want to use loops, you can put something before your first loop and it'll happen at the start of the level and never again but that's about the only time you'd ever have an action outside of a loop. Basically, any actions that are independent of each other should be inside their own loops and only interact with others when the conditions are right.

For example, in the first block I posted the block keeps looping until the console is activated, then it checks if the door is closed, if not it goes back to looping until the console is activated again. If the door was closed it opens it and loops until the console is activated again. Basically the only time that block does anything is when the player activates the console.

In the second block it checks if the door is closed, if not the door must be open and it sets the screen to green. If the door was closed it sets the screen to red then goes back to the first loop to check if the door is still closed. Unrelated to action blocks and loops but you can get the values for screens by right clicking the console and selecting Screen in the visual editor.

One thing I forgot to mention, if you want to use the "This is a remotely locked security door" text instead of the standard "This door is locked" message you need to add the string to your text file, insert a 25 rename object in the objects editor, select the door you want to change the text for, and set the string as the interaction text.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks again!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you read both action block tutorials or just the intro? There's also Dragonsbrethren's tutorial on hostages.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did read both the Action Blocks tutorials, but I couldn't get my head round them (at first anyway). Having tried a few, I understand them now. Also, I've read the hostages one too! Smile

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this is covered in the help files as an example of a remotely operated object: Object Modifier 13 - Interlink Objects

Although the action block method shown above is fine and works well, you can also do the same using only objects. The bare minimum you need is an 01 door, some kind of object to activate it (03, 0A, 0B, etc), and a 13 command to link the two.

Set your door's "Can Not Activate Door" flag, or the one that only lets you open it from one side. Then, just use the 13 command to link the door to the object that will control it. When you 'activate' the object, it opens the door.

Code:

Object 13 Interlink Objects:
   controlling object:   0A: #0 Standing Console
   controlled object:   01: #1B Security Door

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Zoinkity - it looks MUCH easier than the action block way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: