ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Question re: 21990 mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Question re: 21990 mods Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded the GE Editor a couple days ago. I've gone through the tutorials and help file and I understand most aspects of the Editor. The only thing that confuses me to hell are the 21990 mods.

The 21990 mods only seem to work on emulator. Do the mods also work for console? (I only play Goldeneye on console)

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They change a compressed binary at 0x21990 in ROM. To mkae the equivalent codes, you take anything that was changed and add 80020D90.

However, not everything can be easily ported. Moving stages and images in memory won't work, messing with fonts requires too many codes, and there are a couple changes the editor makes behind your back, like changing the way the image lookup table works.

However, for all the usual stuff, like changing music, stage scale, etc you can just add 80020D90 to the given address, assuming an NTSC USA release, of course.

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I have the NTSC version so it should work. Thnx zoink!

Edit:
Could you give me an example just to clarify what you said? I'll learn it better that way.

armymen12002003
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

how do fix texture glitches?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Texture glitches? That's an emulator issue, due to the way graphics processing was implemented.

Now, an example of how you can convert a 21990 mod into a code!

Say you want to change a stage's sky. A sensible person would just read the sky fog doc, but lets assume you aren't sensible ;*) Now, the editor can do this and spit out a 21990 binary which you can check, comparing the original copy to the new one. That's a crazy hex editor thing, and probably dependant on which one you're using. Aegh! Digression!

Anyway... How you actually do it.
Say you changed a stage's fog. In the 21990 file, the first stage's sky starts at 0x24080. If you add 80020D90 to this, you get the address 80044E10. That's just the start of the fog data block, btw, and is just here to get your bearings.

Now, lets say you used the editor to change Statue's sky color to Red, no clouds. When you do a binary compare it changed the value at 0x240A8 from 00000801 to FF000000. To change this into a code, add 80020D90 to the address:
80044E38 00FF
81044E3A 0000

(Well, that's probably right... Didn't check it, actually ;*)

Another example: say you want to change some of the multiplayer music. That table starts at 0x2DE40, or 8004EBD0.

Any code between 80020D90 - 8005D2E0 falls within the 21990 binary, though some are just written into blank spaces and can't be set in the binary itself. That covers a *lot* of codes, many of which we all use every day.

Be wary though. Some things change at runtime, like image values. They change from something like 00000120 to 80200100, which is the file offset it is loaded to. You could use a test(Dx) + write (8x) combo to do those sometimes, but usually it won't work in certain situations. It's sort of rare anyway, unless you're changing stage select images or something...
The 21990 index that comes with the editor is a bit old, but most of the things you'll want to change are listed in these somewhere. After all, it would be a terrificly stupid idea to change the huffman decompression tables or most of the TLB pointer arrays. Well, that did make the 'Dr. No' and scoring hacks work, but usually you don't want to, unless you have the index or are good at disassembly. Aegh! Digressed again...

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just tried modding the music of Bunker i and it works perfectly. Smile

Thnx a lot. No wonder why your help files were so easy to follow! I havta credit you for making them.

Edit: That Statue BG code works...I'll experiment w/ other values.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's worth noting that texture glitches (by using too many textures) can be corrected, but only by hex editing the -mvtx in the 21990 manually. I hope to have the editor do it one day. I think there's a post somewhere on it. If not, just finish your level and I'll do it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: